That time Senator Michaels disappeared from the internet

Ze Frias

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any good teacher using the Socratic method wants their students to be prepared for the daily dialogue, to form good questions, maintain a good work ethic and to keep the discourse in play. Senator Mike “the Professor” fits this definition very well. Now his personal style may cause some of the members some grief, but I see his intent as good. He is the master of Socratic irony.

Speedy recovery Senator Mike.

Any good teacher using the Socratic method wants their students to be prepared for the daily dialogue, to form good questions, maintain a good work ethic and to keep the discourse in play. Senator Mike “the Professor” fits this definition very well. Now his personal style may cause some of the members some grief, but I see his intent as good. He is the master of Socratic irony.

What with 'Contact the manufacturer', 'Run a search', 'It depends' repeated ad nauseum.

'master of Socratic irony' hardly?

Try officious wannabe policeman, rather than Greek philosopher :)

Columbo (see below) was brilliant though, has there been anything else like it?

Socratic irony

Main article: Socratic method

This is "The dissimulation of ignorance practised by Socrates as a means of confuting an adversary".[55] Socrates would pretend to be ignorant of the topic under discussion, to draw out the inherent nonsense in the arguments of his interlocutors. The Chambers Dictionary defines it as "a means by which a questioner pretends to know less than a respondent, when actually he knows more".

Zoe Williams of The Guardian wrote: "The technique [of Socratic irony], demonstrated in the Platonic dialogues, was to pretend ignorance and, more sneakily, to feign credence in your opponent's power of thought, in order to tie him in knots."[56]

A more modern example of Socratic irony can be seen on the American crime fiction television film series, Columbo. The character Lt. Columbo is seemingly naïve and incompetent. His untidy appearance adds to this fumbling illusion. As a result, he is underestimated by the suspects in murder cases he is investigating. With their guard down and their false sense of confidence, Lt. Columbo is able to solve the cases leaving the murderers feeling duped and outwitted.[57]

>Any good teacher using the Socratic method wants their students to be prepared for the daily dialogue, to form good questions, >maintain a good work ethic and to keep the discourse in play

This is not his classroom. 

My issue is he  has a very poor signal to noise ratio for a Professional Soundmixer.

When I first met Senator Mike he was very generous with his knowledge...all the way back when I was a young 22 year old who didn't know anything. He knows way more about stuff than he lets on and is a great teacher. I love hanging out with him and he is extremely generous with his time. 

When I first met Senator Mike he was very generous with his knowledge...all the way back when I was a young 22 year old who didn't know anything. He knows way more about stuff than he lets on and is a great teacher. I love hanging out with him and he is extremely generous with his time. 

Yes it seems clear that his real life persona is markedly different from his online persona and the two seem to get very mixed up for those that know him personally.

hopefully all of us who haven't do get a chance to meet him in person

-Ken

I don't know if Senator will be at NAB this year, but he has been the past several years. If he's going, he'll for sure be at the RAMPS party. There are a handful of people in our little world that are definitely worth making an effort to meet in person, and the Senator is one of them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jeff. Has anyone ever been banned from this board? Seems like they would really have to piss you off to get banned.

I think one or two might have been banned. JW will know for sure. What usually happens is someone will get pissed off and they leave in a huff vowing to never return. Some go silently. Some pull down all their posts, call some names etc. Almost all then sneak back under a different name and lurk as someone else.

CrewC

I think one or two might have been banned. JW will know for sure. What usually happens is someone will get pissed off and they leave in a huff vowing to never return. Some go silently. Some pull down all their posts, call some names etc. Almost all then sneak back under a different name and lurk as someone else.

CrewC

Crew pretty much summed it up --- I don't think I have ever officially banned anyone. I have had "people" sign up and then post malicious things or advertising or links to offensive and irrelevant sites, then I have had to remove them and their posts. I have removed members and then have also allowed them to come back, and a few other odd things (like the member who asked me to remove them 3 separate times and I just didn't do it). Usually I tell people that if they are fed up with the site or they have some problem, just stop going to the site; chances are they won't be missed.

+1111

• 3 months later...

Well, I'm speechless. It's been about half a year since the Senator last posted here. Saw him at NAB in April, and he seemed well, but not sure why he's no longer posting here.

My oh my, where art thou good Senator? Why won't you share your usual "it depends" and "RTFM" with us anymore?

Well, I'm speechless.

Me too, and a bit sad too. I enjoyed the discourse he often initiated more often than I was annoyed by it. Sometimes he sends me a pm regarding something I posted in a topic to either express agreement or disagreement. So there is still the urge to comment on certain issues, but not out in the open anymore. For some reason...