That time Senator Michaels disappeared from the internet

Ze Frias

Me too, and a bit sad too. I enjoyed the discourse he often initiated more often than I was annoyed by it. Sometimes he sends me a pm regarding something I posted in a topic to either express agreement or disagreement. So there is still the urge to comment on certain issues, but not out in the open anymore. For some reason...

​I, too, am sad and have received the occasional private message. And I do agree with you on the latter statement as well.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too, and a bit sad too. I enjoyed the discourse he often initiated more often than I was annoyed by it. Sometimes he sends me a pm regarding something I posted in a topic to either express agreement or disagreement. So there is still the urge to comment on certain issues, but not out in the open anymore. For some reason...

Yet it is a much more friendly environment and the amount of spam posts have gone down.

Is it any wonder he stopped posting?  You guys beat the shit out of him daily.  One's ego can only take so much.

You hate him, you love him...make up your mind.

Usually, the love and the hate came from different people. Stay alert if you want to play with us, then it's easier to follow the plot

While I have butted heads with him as well - but in retrospect he actually enlightened me. I took is bassing and learned something. While he can be over the top and annoying with some posts - he did post some real gems. And if you actually took his "annoying" posts and thought about it and read it in the tone you would actually chuckle on some of them.

I miss the senator as well. I know you are out there - so dive back in or at least stick a toe in - the water is fine. And if you disagree with me just block him and move on.

I saw The Senator about two weeks ago at Trew Audio in Burbank and he was doing fine -- got a new car since his auto accident about six months ago. 

I agree, The Senator is right far more than he's wrong, and I think an accurate criticism of him is that he does not suffer fools gladly. If he perceives that somebody has not done their homework, hasn't read the manual, or is otherwise asking other people to do their work for him, he's going to give a sarcastic answer. If you ask him a very specific question that clearly requires a technical answer, you'll often find he has a fairly vast knowledge of electrical theory, RF background, sound recording history, microphone technique, and many other related areas.

Mike (I actually can't call him Mike, even though I think I've known him about 9 years) may sometimes have what seems to be a brusque manner, but he's actually capable of being surprisingly sensitive and thoughtful (especially in person). I think he added to the discussion here, but you have to read into his answer a raised eyebrow and a humorous slant to the dialogue. In cold hard print, I think his answers may have seemed to some to be more severe and obnoxious than they really were. 

I hope The Senator will be back, only because I often enjoyed doing spit-takes to my computer display when reading some of his pithier responses.

Edited by Marc Wielage

If you search enough Oysters you will eventually find a pearl but you will still be left with a large mound of rotting stinking crap.

But those pearls are worth a lot and you don't need to let the "crap" rot, as some people have been known to enjoy even that. You can actually eat it and some people actually pay quite a bit of money for. Personally, I don't like oysters (the actual animal not the metaphor), but I don't mind other people who like oysters

The chances of finding a pearl in an oyster is about 12,000 to 1 which is about his post count that is actually useful. Ssssooooooo.....

When you have people here like Jeff, Simon Hayes and Jan who teach but who are also respectful and don't spam constantly I really couldn't care less him and his power trips 

Edited by Chris Woodcock

The chances of finding a pearl in an oyster is about 12,000 to 1 which is about his post count that is actually useful. Ssssooooooo.....

When you have people here like Jeff, Simon Hayes and Jan who teach but who are also respectful and don't spam constantly I really couldn't care less him and his power trips 

+1. some people tend to romanticize the past. It was never all glory and gold. And back in the day there weren't nearly as many that weren't annoyed by Him as now He has fanboys.

Edited by Christian Spaeth

+1. some people tend to romanticize the past. It was never all glory and gold. And back in the day there weren't nearly as many that weren't annoyed by Him as now He has fanboys.

That's not true. There were threads before here discussing Senator and there were always a lot of people defending him. Many of them are posting here now, too. 

He seemed to have some kind of a problem restraining himself, and would have to comment on as many posts as possible.  So quite often you'd come to this site and there might be as many as 20 or so of his posts, mostly of marginal interest at best, and often just repeating the same couple of cliches, ad infinitum, it was very tedious. He could also be very condescending to newcomers which wasn't very nice.

Some of those who know him personally seemed to want to indulge him, like some whacky old relative of theirs.

This forum has got along better without him attempting to police it all the time.

Edited by pindrop

• 2 weeks later...

I have also been away from the forum for a while so I am just now realizing he stopped posting. 

The Senator is like family to me on this forum. And he is a lot like me, for better or worse. We are both educators, and we can both be abrasive in our honesty. 

Sometimes it is hard to turn off teacher mode, and I see that sometimes when he posts. Those catch-phrases he uses are the type of things that work perfectly with students, but they come off badly online talking to pros. I think if you meet him in person, you will hear all of his writings in a different and much funnier voice. Senator is a great guy, and one of the most knowledgable teachers of production sound in the business. 

I do hope he returns.