Recorder for ambient/SFX-work

Mikko Kolehmainen

I'm going to buy a better field recorder to do more ambient recordings and SFX-work.

There should be at least 6 XLR inputs, 96 kHz sample rate and nice limiters (or neverclip).

I've been thinking about Zaxcom Nomad, but is it true it has LPF and it's not possible to record with flat freq response?

I'm going to be using mostly Schoeps MS, DPA 4061s, Line audio CM3s, several contact mics and hydrophones.

Possibility to record DMS, Quad and 5.1 easily would be nice too.

So works from very quiet to really loud, in hot and humid and cold and dry locations.

What recorder you would use and why?

A while back I posted the frequency response of Nomad. It is very flat without the High pass on. Maybe some one can dig up the plot I posted. Neverclip and the Nomad would be an excellent choice.

Glenn

Thank you Glenn, I saw the plot, but it just confused me because in Nomad's manual it says that frequency response is 50Hz-22kHz.

Oh yes, sorry, I misread. In Manual-pdf there was frequency response 50Hz-22kHz (48kHz) and in product site 20Hz-22kHz (38kHz). I read that they both were at 48 kHz.

Even though I think it would be clearer to say that that frequency response is what it is with this kind of roll of starting there with this kind of slope...

Nomad seems to be really a great choice also for this kind of work.

Is there possibility to link multiple Nomads? Or Nomad and Maxx?

Glenn, would it be possible that some day ZaxConverter could work natively on Linux as well?

Zaxconvert is for PC and Mac. Linux is not a possibility unless it just happens to work with one of the current versions. 

Since Nomad can record up to 12 tracks I do not think you would need to link multiple units together. In any case sample clocks are very accurate but can not be locked together.

Glenn

If you need to use multiple nomads (which I can see doing, as I did the multiple recorders back in the Deva II days) just have them all running the same TC and then you can spot the files right into pro tools. They'll line right up. I also slate each take, even for sound effects, if I have multiple machines running just as a backup in case the TC gets wonky. That way you can line it up old school style. Yes...that means have a clapper or some sort of sharp sound that spikes the wave form. 

If you are going to be recording 5.1, then a machine with at least 6 mic inputs is a must. All the high end machines that have these are all really good, and it just comes down to personal preference as to which one you'd want to use.