Rode's upcoming 2.4GHz digital wireless system: $400 USD

Jim Feeley

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BHPhotovideo have it listed for $399 presale.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1115091-REG/rode_rodlnk_fm_rodelink_wireless_filmmaker_kit.html

If its any good, that's way cheap, considering that it comes with a rode lav, which is over $200 on its own (according to the video).

I'm surprised they went with 44khz as the sample rate, considering they are aiming for the video market. I'm guessing there was some technical decision for the choice.

BHPhotovideo have it listed for $399 presale.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1115091-REG/rode_rodlnk_fm_rodelink_wireless_filmmaker_kit.html

If its any good, that's way cheap, considering that it comes with a rode lav, which is over $200 on its own (according to the video).

I'm surprised they went with 44khz as the sample rate, considering they are aiming for the video market. I'm guessing there was some technical decision for the choice.

Less data than 48kHz, Zaxcom uses 32kHz.

In other hand, looks that only have analog output, the fs in this case is irrelevant

128-bit encrypted digital transmission sent on two channels simultaneously

that could mean its a new way of diversity - sending two channels instead of one. could be the reason for that 100m claim 

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/01/21/rode-announces-the-rodelink-digital-wireless-system-and-new-professional-shotgun-microphones/ 

Christian, who do you think would sue Rode? Sony is the only company I know of that has a similar product with their 2.4 ghz wireless mic set and I don't think Sony would bother to sue Rode.

Audio Technica does, too, I believe. But then there's the encryption of the signal bit Christian was mentioning...

Christian, who do you think would sue Rode? Sony is the only company I know of that has a similar product with their 2.4 ghz wireless mic set and I don't think Sony would bother to sue Rode. 

It was just a silly little joke Jeff, I'm sorry. I just remembered how many here got excited about the Tascam lav recorders and then... we all know the story... totally different case here of course but I hope the same won't happen here.

Click on the rodemic.com link at the top of this thread.

AA batts or USB.

Thanks Jim, it says "AA battery". One battery? Interesting. Oh, and the dimensions... not really suitable for hiding on talent: 40 mm depth. Like 4 smartphones stuck together. Imagine that on an actress. But as a link I could imagine it.

By the way, I didn't know the Rode lavalier is a Pressure Gradient i.e. a cardioid lav.

By the way, I didn't know the Rode lavalier is a Pressure Gradient i.e. a cardioid lav.

It's an omni. Maybe someone more knowledgeable in mic engineering can chime in, since pressure gradient implies directivity?

As for the Rodelink, it read somewhere that this is just the first product of a range of wireless products. Who knows, maybe another one might be a 2-channel transmitter + receiver for use as a wireless hop? Plastic or not, it would reside in two arguably fairly safe locations - in your bag and on the camera. So then it would just be down to real-world performance and sound quality.

But yeah, after seeing a 2.4 GHz system for transmitting picture with fin antennas and everything manage something like 10-30 metres (in the middle of a forest), I'll certainly interested to hear reports on how close to their claims they get in real-world situations.

@Cristian: It works on 2 aAA's. "Over 10 hours operation from 2 x AA batteries, or power continuously via Micro USB"

Could be a stupid question, but why do the pro manufacturers (Zaxcom, Audio Ltd, Lectrosonics etc) do not work this way, in the 2.4 Ghz range and without having to bother about frequencies at all (according to Rode). No more hassle with available spectrum that is getting smaller and smaller. No more interference from another soundmans transmitters.. And required licences in some countries. Maybe the claimed range is not really that great... On times square or so..

I might buy one just out of curiosity, see how it compares with my Audio Ltd. En2's and Sennheisers. It's a pity the transmitter is so big, and it looks very fragile as well. But hey, 400 dollars..

why do the pro manufacturers (Zaxcom, Audio Ltd, Lectrosonics etc) do not work this way, in the 2.4 Ghz range and without having to bother about frequencies at all (according to Rode). 

Because at those frequencies radio signal is very sensitive to human body (water) and obstacle. It may have some radio drops.

It's an omni. Maybe someone more knowledgeable in mic engineering can chime in, since pressure gradient implies directivity?

Yes,

Only pressure = Omni 

Only gradient = Fig 8

Mix of both = Cardioid (or hyper) (If you sum 50/50 a Omni + Fig 8 you have a cardioid)

Yes,

Only pressure = Omni

Only gradient = Fig 8

Mix of both = Cardioid (or hyper) (If you sum 50/50 a Omni + Fig 8 you have a cardioid)

Actually, a pure pressure gradient is a figure of eight, but that's beside the point.

Other than using two capsules, I am not familiar with a way to make a pressure gradient mic have an omni pattern. Maybe someone else is?

Could also be some sort of typo...