Rode's upcoming 2.4GHz digital wireless system: $400 USD

Jim Feeley

It's a different lav from the smart lav that they have according to their site if you click more info about the mic. It's the mic with easy interchangeable plugs.

Yes, but I'm suspecting a bad link here. I bet it's the SmartLav which is included and thus would not conclude that the system itsef must be really cheap. But we shall see

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but I'm suspecting a bad link here. I bet it's the SmartLav which is included and thus would not conclude that the system itsef must be really cheap. But we shall see

well, in the tech specs they list exactly the same frequency response as the normal rode lav which is different from the smart lav, i doubt they'd make such a mistake since it would cause them trouble. but as you say, we'll see :)

Got this response from Rode:

"As you'll see form the web page it does in fact ship with the Rode Lavalier microphone (while it is not included on the web page I would assume it will also ship with the micon-1 adapter in order to be able to connect the LAV to the transmitter)."

So it is the Rode Lavalier and the connector is a Sennheiser locking 3.5mm.

Regarding the sound, I have seen and used chinese lavalier that sounds better than Rode, Sennheiser ME 2 and even Sanken. Haven't seen one that sounds better than a DPA though. And they are cheap. But they are also much more fragile and less durable. Sometimes price don't change sound quality but almost always changes build quality.

I would say the big thing is that Rode is throwing their hat in the wireless mic ring. Not including people like us, they seem to have a definite market of OMB DSLR shooters, bloggers etc. I'm sure those people will find a lot of value in such a product. They don't have the same requirements as us, so who cares.

If Rode's new mission in life was to make YouTube videos look & sound better, i would hope somebody gives them an award for just that. Seriously. There's some people posting really interesting stuff on there that's pretty unbearable to watch, but not something with a budget to "do it right". This $400 wireless set is going to sound a lot better than the built-in camera mic. It also sounds like they tried to make it very simple to set up for non-techie people. cool. 

Regarding the sound, I have seen and used chinese lavalier that sounds better than Rode, Sennheiser ME 2 and even Sanken. Haven't seen one that sounds better than a DPA though. And they are cheap. But they are also much more fragile and less durable. Sometimes price don't change sound quality but almost always changes build quality.

Tha sounds interesting for backups. Care to share what these Chinese lavs are called and where to get them?

yep, 150 plus VAT at Thomann. The PinMic too, by the way. Hard not to get one of those at that price...

A PinMic is fun to have, can come in handy in all sorts of situations. I have a couple of rhe original Pinmics, too, which even came with brooches and other things to help hide the mic in plain sight.

Tha sounds interesting for backups. Care to share what these Chinese lavs are called and where to get them?

I use some JK 044. There is some comparison in youtube. I find it better than the me2. I have used the sanken cos 11d rented and even though they are very good, I found these chinese to be a better match to Sennheiser mics. I will be holding them until I have the cash for DPA.

I didn't know that, thanks. Do you have a reference to information explaining why this is the case ?

lisala

Somebody on facebook asked Rode about this and this was their answer. Sorry don't have more info, but it might have something to do with the encrypted transmission they are using.

It looks like there's some sort of back and forth communications, and that's how it can hop channels. It probably couldn't handle multiple receivers telling it different info at the same time.

As opposed to our usual Lectrosonics/ Zaxcom / Sennheiser / Comtek etc transmitters transmitting and receiver(s) being able to tune those transmissions. Even with Zaxcom, the Zaxnet remote control of transmitters is done over 2.4GHz, while the audio is sent over UHF.

A PinMic is fun to have, can come in handy in all sorts of situations. I have a couple of rhe original Pinmics, too, which even came with brooches and other things to help hide the mic in plain sight.

Constantin have you used the PinMic in windy exteriors when in plain sight? Is the grill enough wind protection?

Sorry for going OT.

Constantin have you used the PinMic in windy exteriors when in plain sight? Is the grill enough wind protection?

Sorry for going OT.

Yes and no. Have used it outside and it is better in windy exteriors than your average lav, but not by much. The mic element that you stick on the pins contains a kind of pop filter. The mic comes with a special furry, but that's rather big. So only for calm ext or int

Christian, who do you think would sue Rode? Sony is the only company I know of that has a similar product with their 2.4 ghz wireless mic set and I don't think Sony would bother to sue Rode. 

Audio Technica has System 10 that came out in 2014. They now have battery-powered receivers.

http://tyfordaudiovideo.blogspot.com/2015/01/audio-technica-system-10-update-more.html

Yeah, please explain copying and false advertising.

They make microphones, how many new and radically different (eletronic) designs can you come up?

One could argue mbho are a ripoff of schoeps till you find out some the designers are the same , SD has former Shure engineers, where does this stop?

I'm no apologist for Rode but buddie you need to back up your claims now..

Grant.

• 3 weeks later...