First mic - 416 or 50

Caio

Hi,

I have been using the ME66/K6 most of the time and sometimes a 416. Now I am going to the USA and have the opportunity to buy my own mic. The 416 do sell here in my country for twice the price ($2000), like every other gear that I can find, but I can't find a new or used MKH 50 to buy. I would have to import and pay 60% plus other taxes (eg: 788t = $11,069)

I was thinking of getting the MKH 50 to use both indoors and outdoors with a rycote WS2 or a Small Super Shield. Later I could perhaps buy an 8060 that could even fit the same rycote. But many have had problems with the 8060 and say the "416 is a must have in every kit".

I will be shooting around 75% indoors 25% outdoors.

Both good mics... of the two choices,  exteriors the 416 would be my choice.. hands down..   I like the punchy sound..   

Indoors the 50 is great... especially in close... hard call...  As much as I love that 50... for only one mic, I may pull for the 416.. although not as good indoors, not even really close here,  It's durability gets it the nod for only one mic... BUT.. 75%  25%?  Hummm..

I have always owned a 416-48 and liked it very much. I must say though... I normally use the CMIT5 and CS3e these days... some CMC6/MK41 as well.. I pull out the 416 when I need some punch... on grass it sounds really good... as does the CMIT and CS3e I might add...

Only your ear and budget can really decide this.... It's personal..

The 75% indoors should have you leaning to that 50 though...IMHO..  If thats really the case... get that mic.. It shines indoors.. small and light to boot..

I'm with Matt, wait till you are in the US to buy your mic.  If you're shooting 75% outdoors I'll totally go for the 416. You can get a used Audix SCX1 for your interiors. Or even both used. All my mics except for my two Audix are used including my 416 and I have no complains at all.

Good luck mate,

Go with the 50!  I owned a handful of mics (416, cs3e, ntg3, audix SCX1) before purchasing the 50 and wish I had not waited as long as I did. Although my work is probably 81.59% indoors.  Outside both the cs3e and 416 have there place but like stated above if 75% of your work is within 4 walls I'd look to the MKH50

But if 50% of your outdoors sound bad, because you don't have the right mic, it's no good either. I would strongly recommend trying to get both mics used when you are in the US. It'll be tricky timing-wise, but if this is a rare occasion, I'd make the most of it.

Maybe for outdoors, you could consider the NTG3, which is cheaper and doesn't sound that much worse. Then you'll have a great mic for indoors, which will work outdoors, too, for many situations, and another decent mic for the other situations

Used 416s are available often. Used 50s not so much. But buying both would be ideal.

It's a very hard decision when buying one mic. I feel that if you are traveling, and do mostly docs or interviews and not so much narrative film or TV, then the reliability of the 416 would win me over.

When you start working more and earning more, then you can add a 50.

Sanken CS3-e if your going for one mic. IMO of course. That being said I have seen clients that automatically think if you don't have a 416 your not hired. It's like they have a generic list and if you don't have it your not properly equipped. A fellow mixer in my area uses a 416 indoors and I always cringe when I look at his work. Lots of reverberant reflections, but he gets the work because his clients want it. The MKH50 is an excellent indoor mic but requires more finesse outdoors than the CS3-e does indoors. IMO of course

The 416 was the first "professional" microphone I bought (used), and do agree that it should be in everyone's kit. That said, I think there are more versatile microphones that could be used instead, that could potentially fill the role of both "indoors" and "outdoors" microphones. For example, the DPA 4017b short shotgun sounds great outdoors, and can function very well indoors as well. It's a bit pricier than the 416 or the 50, but cheaper (and shorter and lighter) than a Schoeps CMIT for example, which I think sounds pretty good indoors btw.

If you just want to get one of the two choices presented, I personally prefer the sound of the mkh 50 over that of the 416, but I wouldn't necessarily use the 50 outdoors. The opposite is true for me, I wouldn't really use the 416 indoors (though I have). You can get a used 416-P48 for a very good discount, I see them come up for even $600 (but beware of the eBay fakes). A used 50 is a rarer occurrence, you would likely have to buy new at full price. If most of your work is indoors I would lean towards the 50, and with a Rycote baby ball gag you could probably cover a lot of the outdoor work. Just my 2 cents.

Here in Brazil we basically use Sennheiser. There are some Neumann (mostly studio) and almost no Schoeps. I have seen DPA lavs. Recently Rode is becoming very popular, it is easier and cheaper to find, and you can pay 12x. So if I want a NTG 3 to go with the 50, I could buy it here.

The main reason is Technical Assistance and Warranty. There is Sennheiser, Neumann and Rode support. The other reason is climate.

Also, being my first mic, I think I am already spending too much going higher than $1000.

But if 50% of your outdoors sound bad, because you don't have the right mic, it's no good either. I would strongly recommend trying to get both mics used when you are in the US. It'll be tricky timing-wise, but if this is a rare occasion, I'd make the most of it.
Maybe for outdoors, you could consider the NTG3, which is cheaper and doesn't sound that much worse. Then you'll have a great mic for indoors, which will work outdoors, too, for many situations, and another decent mic for the other situations

I thought about getting used mics, but I am going to Florida only, and my options are limited. Shipping to hotel doesn't really seem a good idea.

Nice, I will travel in the beggining of March. I didn't find much used gear on the TAI website, so maybe they don't post everything. Also, Pro sound doesn't have a MKH 50 on the used section of their website, they also don't say which store each gear belongs to.

Anyway, 1 or 2 weeks before going to the USA I will send a message. I will arrive and leave US through Fort Lauderdale's airport (coincidence)

Nice, I will travel in the beggining of March. I didn't find much used gear on the TAI website, so maybe they don't post everything. Also, Pro sound doesn't have a MKH 50 on the used section of their website, they also don't say which store each gear belongs to.

Anyway, 1 or 2 weeks before going to the USA I will send a message. I will arrive and leave US through Fort Lauderdale's airport (coincidence)

The 50 is at the Ft. Lauderdale store about 15 minute drive from the Ft. Lauderdale airport. 4549 Powerline Rd, Ft. Lauderdale Florida 33309. 954-289-4770.

Call them now! There are too many positive coincidences and the mic will be gone in a few weeks, and, as you have heard here, a used 50 doesn't come up that often,

Come on, do it now, do it, do it!