First mic - 416 or 50

Caio

Hi,

I have been using the ME66/K6 most of the time and sometimes a 416. Now I am going to the USA and have the opportunity to buy my own mic. The 416 do sell here in my country for twice the price ($2000), like every other gear that I can find, but I can't find a new or used MKH 50 to buy. I would have to import and pay 60% plus other taxes (eg: 788t = $11,069)

I was thinking of getting the MKH 50 to use both indoors and outdoors with a rycote WS2 or a Small Super Shield. Later I could perhaps buy an 8060 that could even fit the same rycote. But many have had problems with the 8060 and say the "416 is a must have in every kit".

I will be shooting around 75% indoors 25% outdoors.

Do you have radio mics?

If you had both mics and work 75% indoors you will use the mkh50 75%(?) of the time.

But you still need to deliver outdoors. If you have radios you can definitely live with the 50 outdoors.

Go for the 50 on your trip, pick up a 416 when you can, having them both will be more than the sum of the parts.

Dan.

I'm curious about this, as I have no experience with the mkh50, but is the 416 really more resilient than the 50? Sennheiser claims great outdoor performance for both...

I have been wondering that myself. The 416 is very popular and has the toughness fame. But isn't the 50 as tough as the 416?

get both! mkh50 for indoors, mkh416 for outdoors (sucks indoors as it catches a lot of reflections)  

you can get mkh416T cheap!

(i saw an used 416T mic for as low as $250 ) you need T-power to phantom 48v adapter.  and then get the mkh50. both will last you for a long long time. good luck!