Countryman i2 - ISOMAX 2 All-Purpose Microphone

enginufuk

A new lav with 4 pattern options. While they don't list it as a lavalier microphone, due to the design/size I might just try it to see how it compares to my EMW which I actually don't use as often...

Frequency Response:

Omnidirectional: 20 Hz to 20 kHz

Directional: 50 Hz to 20 kHz

Overload Sound Level: 150 dB SPL at 1% THD Output Impedance: 600 Ohms +/- 2% balanced, transformerless. Will drive load impedance without distortion at full rated SPL. Equivalent Acoustic Noise:

Omnidirectional: 25 dBA

Directional: 29 dBA

Power Requirements: 6V to 50V Phantom at 4mA. Voltage below 24V wil result in reduced overload SPL. Sensitivity: 1.4 mV/Pascal Dimensions:

5/16" x 5/8" x 5/32" (8mm x 16mm x 4mm) excluding cable strain relief.

Cable Length:

5 Feet (wireless configurations)

10 Feet (hardwired configurations)

Here is the link from their site; http://www.countryman.com/isomax-2-all-purpose-microphone

Looks very interesting. According to the specs it requires at least 6V to power, so it doesn't seem like it would work with most of the wireless transmitters we use in the field. I see however, most of the transmitters as available configurations for this microphone. :/ odd

• 4 years later...

Hi guys,  

was wondering if this mic could be used for dialogues on a sennheiser g3 tx, or a lectrosonics smqv tx in noisy environments. 

i was looking for a cardioid lav for noisy situations. 

looking everywhere but found no answer regarding dialogue recording for film and broadcast purposes. 

Pls advise .thank you in advance

https://www.countryman.com/isomax-2-all-purpose-microphone/

On 1/22/2015 at 1:10 PM, Jose Frias said:

Looks very interesting. According to the specs it requires at least 6V to power, so it doesn't seem like it would work with most of the wireless transmitters we use in the field. I see however, most of the transmitters as available configurations for this microphone. 😕 odd

6 volts of phantom power at 4mA.  Wouldn't the 4mA spec be the pertinent one for a transmitter?

I mostly use Isomaxes as onboard instrument pickup mics, a trick I learned from the sound folks who work for the Kronos Quartet who have used them as bridge-mics for live shows for at least 25 years.  I've had good luck with them used that way too, especially on string instruments.  I think there are way better choices around re: dialog lav mics: Isomaxes are pretty large by today's standards and the cable is pretty thick.  Sound-wise, in normal lav mic mounting position on the chest I would describe them as "ok", but not something I'd use instead of B6 or B3 or DPA lavs.

On the webpage for this mic, Countryman says, "The ISOMAX 2 has true frequency-independent pattern control and precise response to capture strings, wind, brass and percussion beautifully while easily rejecting ambient sound." Dialog's not really the bag for this mic.

Phil, fun to hear you mention Kronos and these mics. I think they were amongst the first to use them (or at least their precursors) in any manor. 35+ years ago when I worked for Countryman for a bit, Carl talked about several of the uses for the original Isomax (or maybe the precursor; I can't recall at the moment) that he thought were cool and unexpected:

1) Weather Report's drummer at the time added a solid (ie- w/o a cutout) front head to his kickdrum. To mic the drum, they dropped the Isomax (ie- small Countryman mic) through the sound hole. This was for live use; sounded good.

2) A few touring bands used Isomax mics taped/mounted a few millimeters of the stage floor to mic guitar amps; the idea being that they could avoid reflections from a higher-mounted mic (was a cool idea at the time).

3) And some string quartet started using the mics mounted to their bridges. I can't recall which quartet, but I can't imagine it being anyone other than Kronos...

4) There's one other unexpected use that's a great story, but shouldn't be burned into pixels. It will remain a face-to-face tale. 😉

I also recall people calling to ask Carl to start making phase shifters again. But he was very "been there, done that, selling more of these." He had such a great mix of engineering creativity, precision, and fun mixed with hardass business sense. I respect the hell out of the guy... 

I had a Countryman phase shifter, a very early one.  (Another tool I used to have that I can't recall what I did with.)  The KQ use of Isomaxes I think goes back to Jay Cloidt and Fred Stites, in league with the late Larry Neff ("The Emperor of Touring").  Among classical ensembles the bridge mic thing KQ does is still consider very radical, but I can attest to how well it works on a stage with very high monitor levels and a lot of other noise (like 12 dancers jumping around).  It also cleans up the "stage picture" a lot--no mic stands.  Last night I recorded a trio as part of a movie shoot, and here again the leakage potential was very high (small room, hard walls, window close by with the players, incl a grand piano, close to each other) and the "clean" stage picture (no mic stands) was important, and the Isomaxes worked very well on a violin and a double bass.