I was sold a fake MKH-416

harlowsound

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin Blakely 

I can prove that the microphone you sold me is fake. I am asking you to please return my money, just as I asked you over text. I know you can see these messages.

Harlow,

Maybe it's time to tone it down a bit and take this "offline". If you are certain you have a case then maybe pursue this as a civil matter or get the authorities involved. 

This is why you always post a serial number when putting up something for sale.

If buyer thinks it's a fake, they can return it and show proof that the serial number matches. Seller has the same protection. All of these things can be looked up to see manufacture date and can be checked with the alleged store that sold it (if possible).

Both of you guys clearly desire to be members of this community or you wouldn't be here.  This transaction has gone bad, out of respect for all of us you should be able to find a realistic solution.

In fact it should be pretty simple, either this microphone is a legitimate mkh416 or it's not. 

JboB,

If he sends it in for inspection to LSC or TREW, the same serial numbers, and they determine it is a FAKE, will you reimburse him the funds....? forget testing it at a school... let professionals come to the conclusion. If in fact it is, pay the man his due funds, if not, go on your way.

AFMY has a great way for you guys to figure it out and move on in life. What do you say Justin?

More trolling from Semi-Literate Anonymous.

AFMY and I are, of course, both welcome to our opinions, as this is a discussion group.

Take note, it should be " you're welcome" -- a contraction -- not "your welcome." Also, no apostrophe after two, otherwise it currently reads " two is." Perhaps more time learning and less time trolling might be in order.

By the way, grammer nazi, an apostrophe can also show possession - as in "the woman's hat". I was correct in it's use (See, I used it again in the possessive mode in the word "it's).More time leaning for you. Ironicly, my fobble with the word "your" was done with an auto correct function. Your nose-in the-air attempt to correct me on the use of an apostrophe was an exercise in your ignorance.

Semi-literate? How mean of you.

Aside from the occaisional nastiness, I think this thread is valuable in that it lets people know what to be on guard for and how some used equipment transactions take place.

I understand from the Trew Audio Los Angeles office that there is no record of a microphone with the mentioned serial number ever being at the store, nor was there ever a microphone of that description bought or sold at the store by anyone mentioned in this thread as being connected to the transaction. I'll also point out that serial numbers of all new and used equipment of this type are recorded and archived, as are the photos (Trew Audio uses only actual photos of the item being listed and those photos are taken at the stores) which can be quickly accessed when needed. Also, as mentioned by someone earlier, Trew Audio will not knowingly list or sell a counterfeit item.

It is always possible that a mistake was made somewhere along the line in recording a serial number, or fooled by a counterfeit microphone, or records of a transaction were lost, but we try very hard to prevent even one of those things from happening, as I imagine other established dealers also do.

Jeff, as long as the discussion stays within the bounds of trying to get to the bottom of what happened, I hope this thread stays active and visible.

Glen Trew

By the way, grammer nazi, an apostrophe can also show possession - as in "the woman's hat". I was correct in it's use (See, I used it again in the possessive mode in the word "it's).More time leaning for you. Ironicly, my fobble with the word "your" was done with an auto correct function. Your nose-in the-air attempt to correct me on the use of an apostrophe was an exercise in your ignorance.

Semi-literate? How mean of you.

In rereading "There, I just solved those two's problem!" you're correct, it is a possessive. Sorry about that.

The possessive "its" never uses an apostrophe.

I'm not the grammer police, nor wish to be. My meanness was a reaction to how often you try to play the role of a troll. However, your response reminds me that I don't wish to let other's poor behavior influence mine. Thanks for that. I'll strive to do better in the future.

My life this past few weeks has turned into the Truman forum. I have been victimized, called names, insulted, threatened and defrauded. Posting to this forum gave me a response and hopefully protected someone doing transactions in the future with Justin Blakely. I came forward when I knew a fraud. I have had sleepless nights and put work behind because I had no choice but do what is right. I am angry, deflated yet not defeated. I decided to stand up and call out when someone among us lies and cheats. I got on this forum as a last resort and I put my reputation on the line. I am not ashamed to put my name out and my name isn’t a common one. I am disgusted and angered with what I have seen from this individual.

All of this was over $700.00, for some of you it might be a drop in the bucket. That is over 77 hours of work-study for me. I purchased this microphone with the intent of taking on side projects. This issue is also about more than that. It is about doing what is right.  We all are in this industry to do what we love and pursue something that enriches our lives. We should always be helping one another both as friends and colleagues. Overwhelmingly that is what I have received from this forum.

I had planned on keeping the information Mr. Trew has revealed private. I am relieved that he put this information out publicly on this forum, and made a decision I didn’t have to.

Aside from the occaisional nastiness, I think this thread is valuable in that it lets people know what to be on guard for and how some used equipment transactions take place.

I understand from the Trew Audio Los Angeles office that there is no record of a microphone with the mentioned serial number ever being at the store, nor was there ever a microphone of that description bought or sold at the store by anyone mentioned in this thread as being connected to the transaction. I'll also point out that serial numbers of all new and used equipment of this type are recorded and archived, as are the photos (Trew Audio uses only actual photos of the item being listed and those photos are taken at the stores) which can be quickly accessed when needed. Also, as mentioned by someone earlier, Trew Audio will not knowingly list or sell a counterfeit item.

It is always possible that a mistake was made somewhere along the line in recording a serial number, or fooled by a counterfeit microphone, or records of a transaction were lost, but we try very hard to prevent even one of those things from happening, as I imagine other established dealers also do.

Jeff, as long as the discussion stays within the bounds of trying to get to the bottom of what happened, I hope this thread stays active and visible.

Glen Trew

Right on Glen, way to chime in. 

I learned a valuable lesson many years ago. Be careful accepting returns on electrical items. I never understood why businesses sold items AS-IS and did not accept returns until my experience. I sold a fully functioning camera lens to a buyer out of state. They received it and about a month later claimed it was malfunctioning. I accepted the return, agreed to pay return shipping and sure enough the lens was having difficulty focusing. I took it to Steve's Camera to diagnose and he said the AF motor was internally damaged. Apparently the buyer swapped out the AF with a damaged one. I inquired the buyer about this and they said that was their experience but didnt know what the problem was since their were an amateur photographer and has never taken apart a lens before. Furthermore, I did not get support from ebay since the time to file a claim from the original transaction had expired and I should try to reach out to the buyer and work it out. I tried but they eventually became unresponsive. I believe their polices have changed a bit, but they are fairly adamant about taking the buyers side. This is why I avoid selling on ebay, that and their fees have become rather ridiculous. The whole experience costed me about $200 in repairs, shipping costs both ways and a lot of time wasted. I prefer to sell locally, as the buyer has the chance to inspect and test the item before deciding to purchase. The fact the mic was kept for 17 days without word seems fishy to me. In my experience, anytime someone becomes aggressive and threatening, its a red flag...as if I should fear "legal action". It confirms a reaction to just ignore them as they would prefer to be nasty and desperate. Im fairly sure everyone has experienced this at one point in their life.

The fact the mic was kept for 17 days without word seems fishy to me. In my experience, anytime someone becomes aggressive and threatening, its a red flag...as if I should fear "legal action". It confirms a reaction to just ignore them as they would prefer to be nasty and desperate. Im fairly sure everyone has experienced this at one point in their life.

Anytime I discover that someone is lying, lying about anything, I tend to side with the other person since it is rare that both people would be lying in the situation.  

I learned a valuable lesson many years ago. Be careful accepting returns on electrical items. I never understood why businesses sold items AS-IS and did not accept returns until my experience. I sold a fully functioning camera lens to a buyer out of state. They received it and about a month later claimed it was malfunctioning. I accepted the return, agreed to pay return shipping and sure enough the lens was having difficulty focusing. I took it to Steve's Camera to diagnose and he said the AF motor was internally damaged. Apparently the buyer swapped out the AF with a damaged one. I inquired the buyer about this and they said that was their experience but didnt know what the problem was since their were an amateur photographer and has never taken apart a lens before. Furthermore, I did not get support from ebay since the time to file a claim from the original transaction had expired and I should try to reach out to the buyer and work it out. I tried but they eventually became unresponsive. I believe their polices have changed a bit, but they are fairly adamant about taking the buyers side. This is why I avoid selling on ebay, that and their fees have become rather ridiculous. The whole experience costed me about $200 in repairs, shipping costs both ways and a lot of time wasted. I prefer to sell locally, as the buyer has the chance to inspect and test the item before deciding to purchase. The fact the mic was kept for 17 days without word seems fishy to me. In my experience, anytime someone becomes aggressive and threatening, its a red flag...as if I should fear "legal action". It confirms a reaction to just ignore them as they would prefer to be nasty and desperate. Im fairly sure everyone has experienced this at one point in their life.

Maybe you should just stop selling.

The fact the mic was kept for 17 days without word seems fishy to me.

Also it's not unheard of holding onto items for long periods of time in our line of work. There were a few times this year I had purchased kit and it was about 3 weeks before I got to test it as I was away working.

In my experience, anytime someone becomes aggressive and threatening, its a red flag...as if I should fear "legal action". It confirms a reaction to just ignore them as they would prefer to be nasty and desperate. Im fairly sure everyone has experienced this at one point in their life.

No as most of us haven't sold doggy kit.

JboB,

You STILL are missing the point....  Forget about the time.... Your past experience with other deals has no relevance here... stick to THIS sale...

The mic with serial number #@%$^&*.....  Sold by you..... sent to him........ once inspected and found to me  ' not what it was supposed to be" should be returned and refunded.... Period...

Why is this so difficult to understand... You seem to be dancing around the wrong issue..  If it was a fake, return the money.... Have it inspected by a dealer... once decided, do what is right... either way..

with my work schedule i have indeed gone 7-10 days or more with several fed ex or ups packages unopened only to find discrepancies when i finally had a chance to open. 17 doesnt seem that insane. bought an old mac pro recently and my wife brought it in for me while i was traveling. i believe it was 15 days later i opened up the box to find the aluminum "feet" smashed in and i had to file a claim for the damages. still trying to work that out as i type from back in early december.

-Ken

Justin Blakely.....legends of our industry have taken time and responded to a situation for which you are responsible. 

Contrary to your original claim, Trew audio has confirmed that there is no record of this 416 having been at their store nor is there any record of you having purchased a 416 from their store. How do you account for your previous post detailing how you bought 2 416 microphones from this store, one of which you sold to Harlow Sound?

You talk about things seeming "fishy"? 

You publicly stated that in the past you bought a Chinese 416 from ebay. Now you yourself are accused of selling a counterfeit 416.
How is that for fishy?

We do not care what you believe you have learned from previous transactions because here and now you are clearly in the wrong. Regardless of the time frame, if the microphone you sold is proven to be a fake you should step up and return this man's money.    

From what you've shown us so far, the only person appearing "nasty and desperate" is in fact you.

In the midst of all of this nonsense one thing is VERY certain.........your past experience has not taught you the humility or dignity to take responsibility for your actions in life.  

Like I said, there wasnt a down period, the mic was tested on the spot. The point I am making is that there could have been a swap. Granted, if this is exactly the same mic and it turns out to be fake then yes it should be returned, but how is this proven exactly? The box and the serial on the mic matched when I bought it. IF that is different now, then there is a problem. If it matches, its not a fake. Its as simple as that... sorry to be missing your guy's points, but Im explaining myself and no one wants to hear it. So whats the point? Clearing my name, thats the point.

This microphone was not purchased from TREW Audio, so they wouldnt have records of it. It was purchased from coffee (like the buyer mentioned) "around" the time they were going through a merger, not after.

*Mosdeaf, you have had a very bias opinion towards me. Not sure why, probably because you like ganging up on people. The microphone has not been proven to be fake, certainly not the one I sold. You're taking their word for it.

"This microphone was not purchased from TREW Audio, so they wouldnt have records of it. It was purchased from coffee (like the buyer mentioned) "around" the time they were going through a merger, not after."

For clarification, Coffee Sound and Trew Audio did not merge, Trew Audio purchased Coffee Sound. Trew Audio also retains all the records of transactions whether they were done when it was Coffee Sound, then Coffee Sound - a Trew Audio company, then finally just Trew Audio - Los Angeles.