Gear rental China

MarcPDesaulniers

Hello everyone,

I am looking for gear rental in China, some kind of back up in case mine does not make the trip or anything. Production asked for a plan B.

I will be shooting in the region of Nanning, Yunnan, but can make a pick up in Guangzhou if needed.

I would need a ENG bag with a recorder. I roll with the nomad and lectrosonics wireless, any gear close to this quality will do.

Thanks for the tips.

In that region, Guangzhou, maybe Shenzhen. 

For the best chance at finding major brands however, see if suppliers from major areas (Beijing, Shanghai, HK) are able to rent/ship gear to your location. 

Get in contact with Cloud Wang on this forum too - he's got a full Zax arsenal. 

Thanks for the links New Mexico,

I am aware of the great power of Google, but I was hoping with my post to find something closer to Nanning. If you look at the map, it is quite a ride to rent gear from Beijing.

I will check with the BJ rental place, but I find it very strange that there would be no gear available to rent in the region, and even more in Hong Kong.

I worked there six times last year through Shanghai and Beijing and used a simple equipment list, not a carnet. A government fixer met us at the airport and took us through customs and it was all very straightforward both in and out, so fixing arrangements can do it.

Took everything including backup with me.

Hi Allen, everyone,

The local fixer the production hired found a camera rental company that own and rent a 633, boom and wirelesses (brand not specified).

I think it's around Guangzhou.

I can ask for details if anyone is interested.

Thanks you all for your inputs, much appreciated.

Hi Allen, everyone,

The local fixer the production hired found a camera rental company that own and rent a 633, boom and wirelesses (brand not specified).

I think it's around Guangzhou.

I can ask for details if anyone is interested.

Thanks you all for your inputs, much appreciated.

Yes the rental company details would be useful to know please.

Even though I am originally from Beijing, I would suggest you to fly equipments from the US, but not rent it there. when it must be, then better rent it from Beijing (the logistic costs in Chia is really cheap, you pay for a normal express package from Beijing to Guangzhou just 3 or 4 Dollars). 

http://www.dingrun.com/UI/Default2.aspx

Here, they may can help. one of the biggest Audio Dealer in Beijing.

Even though I am originally from Beijing, I would suggest you to fly equipments from the US, but not rent it there. when it must be, then better rent it from Beijing (the logistic costs in Chia is really cheap, you pay for a normal express package from Beijing to Guangzhou just 3 or 4 Dollars). 

http://www.dingrun.com/UI/Default2.aspx

Here, they may can help. one of the biggest Audio Dealer in Beijing.

Thanks they look like the business for Lectro and Sound Devices, is it rental and sales?

Thanks they look like the business for Lectro and Sound Devices, is it rental and sales?

YES ,Dingrun is the biggest professional audio equipments service company in Beijing,I know the product manager so I can provide the phone number if needed.If it is possible to transport audio equipments from Beijing to Nanning,Dingrun can solve all your promblems.

BTW,what do you mean "gear"? Is that mean accessories or just "audio equipments"?

Well I was trying really hard not to reply without being able to offer any real good advice, but

Thanks for the links New Mexico,

I am aware of the great power of Google, but I was hoping with my post to find something closer to Nanning. If you look at the map, it is quite a ride to rent gear from Beijing.

If you look harder at the map, you'll see Nanning isn't in Yunnan, Marc !

I worked with this guy years ago, he can probably help source just about anything.

One thing I couldn't find in China...Velcro.

www.teneighty.net

And Jason, it'll be there somewhere - you'll find it eventually in the street that only sells sewing and embroidery material ...

(Memories of a group of us spending a great day in Guangzhou many years ago looking for various items including needle and thread and Mahjong sets).

I think I remember I was over in either BJ or SH when John Gooch was there but we didn't manage to hook up for a beer? Anyway, I would second at least the opinion to take anything slightly obscure you think you'll be likely to need or want. Apart from a Nagra 20 years ago, I never had any problem taking smaller amounts of gear in and out (and I explained to customs that the Nagra was a personal item and no longer 'fit' for professional use - which is a little sad to have resorted to in retrospect), but let your production do it properly and I can't see you having any trouble.

I'd also be interested in info on the 'near Guangzhou' rental of the 633 info Marc if you could post it. Enjoy Nanning, its been a very long while since I was there and imagine its much changed.

Jez

For the info, I posted a link a couple of replies before yours.

Going there tomorrow, I'm thrilled.

Got it, thanks Mark. I'll navigate through that and the Dingrun when I get a chance in a few days. Make that 2 weeks.

Enjoy Guangxi, it's a wonderful part of the world. When I think, it was 20 years ago I spent any time there, mostly in a town Baise famous to the Chinese (for its political heritage) but at the time at least out of any western guidebook (which I used backwards to guide me to places I'd have to practice Chinese). If you get any chance try to visit a few sights outside the city after the shoot. If you get to Yunnan, Xishuangbanna in the south or especially the mountains in the northwest are pretty great, especially to a tea drinker like myself.

Jez

• 2 years later...

Hi all.

Just ran acoss this message thread. I know I'm responding many years after the fact. Maybe this will be useful to someone.  I have lived in Hong Kong for 5 years and never seen a Lectrosonics unit anywhere. The local news teams and crews all use a mic with a hard wired XLR cable running across the ground, typically in a very bright color in the hope passersby don't trip over it. On occasion you see another manufactures cube on a news mic, but less common. They seem to use wireless only where hard or impossible to run a cable. I've asked local sound guys about it. Apparently a harsh RF enviroment combined with a low level permitted wattage is the cause. I think its more the latter than the former. May in part be the way its always been done here and change is hard. But just amazes me every time I see mic cables running across sidewalks! I did once see a sound guy with a bag without cables... I was amazed and talked with him about it. Turned out they were from mainland China, and he brought all that gear with him. There might be a source for Lectrosonics in Hong Kong, but I have never seen any.

Todd

4 hours ago, finnigantodd said:

Hi all.

Just ran acoss this message thread. I know I'm responding many years after the fact. Maybe this will be useful to someone.  I have lived in Hong Kong for 5 years and never seen a Lectrosonics unit anywhere. The local news teams and crews all use a mic with a hard wired XLR cable running across the ground, typically in a very bright color in the hope passersby don't trip over it. On occasion you see another manufactures cube on a news mic, but less common. They seem to use wireless only where hard or impossible to run a cable. I've asked local sound guys about it. Apparently a harsh RF enviroment combined with a low level permitted wattage is the cause. I think its more the latter than the former. May in part be the way its always been done here and change is hard. But just amazes me every time I see mic cables running across sidewalks! I did once see a sound guy with a bag without cables... I was amazed and talked with him about it. Turned out they were from mainland China, and he brought all that gear with him. There might be a source for Lectrosonics in Hong Kong, but I have never seen any.

Todd

Oh really , i am local people. Pretty much sound man have professional standard gear ,and in fact many are using wireless boom even 1 man band .