Nagra Stories Sound-men won’t ever tell

JBond

6 hours ago, dela said:

It has a tactile interface, like the SN, and the very mechanic control is much more intuitive than with than buttons.

I did like that about it, though I'm not convinced by the promo photos which show the recording in one hand while transcribing (one-handed?) with the other.  Picking up a completely separate device seems like a less practical method of cuing than good keyboard shortcuts for software on the same system.  But, I'm not a transcriber, so what do I know?  I do appreciate the interface!

More TP7 waffle ...

I couldn't tell from their guide/diagrams but with those 3-in-a-line multi jacks (sockets) wouldn't it have been nice if they were precisely the right distance apart so that one could use the double-jacked Nagra mics from the SD ?

Jez

Does it in fact power 'Plug in power' electrets? Seems weird if not, although I couldn't tell from the guide and it was a warning in the guide early on,

"never connect the 3.5 mm plug going from the TP–7's inputs or outputs to a microphone input with active phantom power. this could damage the TP–7."

that made me look ... hmm

No ..it doesn't provide power for 'plug-in power' 3.5mm mics.

The 3.5mm jack sockets are "..3 trrs stereo input/output mini jacks.." for use with, for example 'mic-&-cans'  or iPhone TRRS headsets, i.e; they provide UNPOWERED stereo INPUTS and OUTPUTS.

All three 3.5mm 'mic' sockets can be set - any choice of setting applies to all three sockets simultaneously - as: [A] mono on all 3 sockets, or; balanced mono, with left & middle sockets each set to a mono input, with a STEREO input on the 3rd, rightmost socket, or [B] all three sockets set for headsets with built-in mics, or [C] all three sockets set to line OUTPUTS. Phew.

This is all from the instruction leaflet, online here: https://teenage.engineering/guides/tp-7

Phantom power must NOT be allowed into the input sockets!

A 6.35mm (¼" ) to 3.5mm adaptor is provided with the unit for the 'Main Out' ¼" headphone socket on the bottom.

Ah, DocSoundGuy: "..promo photos which show the recording in one hand while transcribing (one-handed?) with the other.." ..no; that's showing that you DON'T do it that way with this recorder; if you use the phone app with the recorder, the app will transcribe automatically into text from the spoken voice! ..It's showing that the pic is the outdated, old  method.

Edited by DHB
Additional info

How does it get signal from the headset mic if it doesn't provide power?  I get that it wouldn't be 48V phantom, but electret mics still need a 5V power source ... they can't just be straight inputs.

3 hours ago, DHB said:

Ah, DocSoundGuy: "..promo photos which show the recording in one hand while transcribing (one-handed?) with the other.." ..no; that's showing that you DON'T do it that way with this recorder; if you use the phone app with the recorder, the app will transcribe automatically into text from the spoken voice! ..It's showing that the pic is the outdated, old  method.

What's the point of the (very elegant) rocker switch if not for precision cuing then?  If it just feeds the audio into an AI app, why design such unusual playback controls?  To be clear, I like the design!  I just don't think it's particularly great for transcription (and, even with AI tools, I think there's still a role for manual transcription when accuracy is needed).

5 hours ago, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

How does it get signal from the headset mic if it doesn't provide power?  I get that it wouldn't be 48V phantom, but electret mics still need a 5V power source ... they can't just be straight inputs.

I dunno; I simply read the documentation. Why don't you ask the people who designed it?  sales@teenage.engineering

[ P.S: If I do use electrets which don't have their own power, and I plug them into sockets which don't supply any power, I feed them through a small connector which DOES supply power, as, for example, with the old 'Vivanco'-brand teeny lapel/'lav' EM35 or EM216 miniature double-omni stereo mics. Ditto the 9v-needed AKG condenser mics with an XLR on the end: I use an AKG old inline supply box which runs off a 9v PP3 battery. Really easy. ] 

Cheers DHB, yeah I read the documentation too but, like Docu SG, thought 'surely not' ...

'Really easy' external powering options, and I could use a battery-fitted mic like an old Senn K3U or Sony 907, but I would be wanting to use cuter little mics with such a thing, like my aforementioned Nagra Green Band - nothing as easy as PiP.

But I'm not ever going to be blowing £$1000++ on such a gadget, even if I could, so I guess I'll just remain ignorant. I didn't even get as far as the AIBS (I hope my new term catches on ...), I assumed that was a good old rock n roll scroll wheel for stopping and pulling back the audio.

Jez

Those "..old Senn K3U.." and K6U cardioid mics were surprisingly good ..better than one would expect, anyway. And the (optionally) battery-powered Shure VP-88 was, and is, a great 'true' M/S mic. Then, of course, there was the (optionally) PP3-battery-powered Sony C38b studio mic ..and the 2x-PP3-rechargeable-battery-powered deep bass CAD e300² (recharges via phantom) ..but I'm getting off-topic..

Time for bed, G'nite!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys! I have a Nagra SNN and there’s an issue with a internal microphone preamp. 
Does anyone have a servis manual scan?  Especially I’m looking for preamp section. 
I’ll appreciate any help 

Patrick