JBond

Nagra Stories Sound-men won’t ever tell

...and...re: DAT playability...   We're coming up on about 30 years now for the early tapes.   I'm in the process of remastering some albums that were mixed to DAT back then or shortly after, then stored in a temperature and humidity controlled environment (a bank vault in fact).  They played perfectly.

That’s amazing. I’ve been listening to some podcasts where people are having to go back and remaster DATs and are really having a hard time of it!

On a side note, I just did some vinyl transfers and the cleanup and remastering was a breeze thanks to recent technological advances. I remember cleaning up M&E stems that came from tape about ten years ago and that was rough!

On 12/6/2018 at 8:51 PM, Philip Perkins said:

...and...re: DAT playability...   We're coming up on about 30 years now for the early tapes.   I'm in the process of remastering some albums that were mixed to DAT back then or shortly after, then stored in a temperature and humidity controlled environment (a bank vault in fact).  They played perfectly.

Philip: You’re very fortunate regarding the DAT’s. Most people don’t realize that they require even better storage conditions than analog masters do. And God save you if you get some with sub-standard shells (you know the ones I’m talking about!)

I recently had to transfer a few tapes that weren’t particularly well stored, and I had to try five different decks before I found one that was happy with them (interesting to note that the high end Sony PCM -7040 machines are frequently the least forgiving in terms of what they’ll accept).

And then there’s PCM-F1😕....

-Scott

2 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

Philip: You’re very fortunate regarding the DAT’s. Most people don’t realize that they require even better storage conditions than analog masters do. And God save you if you get some with sub-standard shells (you know the ones I’m talking about!)

I recently had to transfer a few tapes that weren’t particularly well stored, and I had to try five different decks before I found one that was happy with them (interesting to note that the high end Sony PCM -7040 machines are frequently the least forgiving in terms of what they’ll accept).

And then there’s PCM-F1😕....

-Scott

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's DAT woes, and certainly do not want to return to using them for anything anymore.  But I've found that even DATS just stored in my studio, NOT a greatly temp/humid controlled place, are still working ok.  I never could afford a high end DAT like the Sony 70xxs, and in any case the conundrum with DAT is that while most of the hardware and electronics got better as you spent more and more (and more) $ on a deck, the transports they were wrapped around stayed the same (shit, basically).   My tapes are playing ok in a Fostex D10, a very middle-market machine in its day.  So far so good, but am being very conservative about how much I wind the tapes at high speed (with next to no searching) and know that the end of it all will arrive, soon probably.

If you can find a VHS deck in good shape I think F1 tapes are far more forgiving of playback errors.  We did terrible things to our portable VHS decks, that they were really not designed for (like working out in the weather, hot/cold/wet/dirt etc) and the F1 tracked them all.  Before I gave my F1 away I transferred some really beat VHSs that had been used as searchable SFX library etc tapes, and the F1 skated over the dropouts fine.  Vs. DAT. it seems like F1 was maybe more robust in the long run. 

Sorry for this early-digital digression on the Nagra thread.  Maybe we should have a "necro-format-transfer" thread for this kind of thing, for the tiny number of us who care!

12 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

for the tiny number of us who care!

All conversations are worth having so that the information may live on :)

You managed to squeeze in a VPR-5? I would love to have one, but the only one I have been able to track down, is with a seller, who is almost impossible to get an answer from...