JBond

Nagra Stories Sound-men won’t ever tell

I hope that they are not trying to record anything on the second shot... The tape is threaded wrong, making the tape pass the erase head without contact...

2 hours ago, dela said:

I hope that they are not trying to record anything on the second shot... The tape is threaded wrong, making the tape pass the erase head without contact...

Good eyes!

D.

Maybe they are doing old-school home overdubbing by bypassing the erase head!  (Did this on purpose with my earliest mono tape decks, like Bell and Howell 350 or Wollensak T1515).

@tourtelot this process is called Sound on Sound. 

In this episode they are using the Nagra for playback only, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the actual sound mixer on set threaded it like this to avoid the actors accidentally erasing the tape? Although the playback was clearly added in post, so it could just be done wrong and nobody caught it. 

My vote is that the Nagra was setup by prop people, and the PSM had nothing to do with it. 

YES!  That home-brew overdub technique was how I made my earliest sound pieces.  The secret?  A plastic spoon over the erase head!  Yes, you very much had to figure that the earlier passes were going to be dulled, but it did work in its miserable way!

4 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

My vote is that the Nagra was setup by prop people, and the PSM had nothing to do with it. 

YES!  That home-brew overdub technique was how I made my earliest sound pieces.  The secret?  A plastic spoon over the erase head!  Yes, you very much had to figure that the earlier passes were going to be dulled, but it did work in its miserable way!

And you could get good at it and predict the outcome, and dub in the things you want more present at the end. Pretty cool sounding when done right!

Does anyone have access to NCIS s16e5? Two of my III’s were used in it, one as principal and one as stunt!