Anyone have a recommendation for cable to roll my own TA3F to XLR adaptors?

DCsoundOp

47 minutes ago, Derek H said:

Side note, after doing a lot of TA cables I've found I prefer the original Switchcraft TA3/TA5. I don't really like the REAN parts anymore, used to get stuck in plugs on my Maxx and the materials quality is just not as good. They melt easier, pins fall out easier etc. Maybe I bought a bad run but now I just pay more for the Switchcraft originals. Even some of the Switchcraft knockoffs are of lesser quality. For example Remote Audio used to sell some that had a soft rubber boot that you could choose to take off for large diameter cable. That's great but when you leave it on it almost always ends up tearing off on small diameter cable. 

Very strange. We go through about 20 TA 3,4 & 5 pin Rean connectors a month for the last 3 years and have never had an issue with them as you describe.

Yes to the Belden.  "Works" well (stripping and soldering, easy to work with), fits into TA connectors, great shielding, and fairly inexpensive (I buy it in 500' rolls).

We used to call this studio hook-up wire and I have wired whole top-tier recording studios with it.  Good stuff.

D.

On December 8, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Dave Pullmer said:

I'm about to make a couple cables up for use as camera hops from a Sr receiver (TA3F - XLRM), and am curious if people commonly use mini star quad on their cam hop cables for the extra shielding it provides - or if this is an irrelevant consideration for an 18 inch cable...

Belden Mini Starquad is really good for what you described. Not so much for the starquad configuration (but doesn't hurt), but for it's size, durability, and flexibility.

• 8 months later...

I made two with Canare L-4E5C and TA3F connectors sold by Sound Devices (ordered from Audiosense, Belgium) and it was a real pain in the ass, way too thick. Using star quad for a 3 m microphone cable is probably overkill, but, well... I am going to use them with a Rode Videomic X.

No idea of the original manufacturer of the connectors, but I had to literally destroy the boot in order to squeeze the cable jacket inside.  On the bright side the pins were great to solder (albeit tiny of course) and I didn't have heating problems. I used a 15 W soldering iron anyway. 

Whatever. When soldering the Neutrik XLR male conector on the other side of the cables it was a "AHHHHH, this is a pleasure to solder, I can do it with my eyes closed!" :)

Canare L-4E5C mini star-quad and the two conductor mini  L-2E5. The two conductor mini is easier with the small TA solder cups. I can do XLRs almost blind-folded, TAs are not that hard with a small diameter cable, I've had aggravation with the Hirose HR-10 power plugs. I have not attempted a Lemo.. nor would I.

• 6 months later...