Sound Guy Needed for Cops TV Show

A friend of mine is looking for a new sound guy for the Cops TV Show. Yes, lets just be clear about this right now. The last sound guy was killed while working on the show. So, anyone wanting to do this job will have know that real danger is part of the job. 

With that said, if you're still interested then please PM/email me your contact info, gear list, and resume and I'll forward top candidates to my friend. 

More about the job:

You start in March and go through Thanksgiving.

You work 8 weeks on and have 1 week off. 

All travel expenses paid for.

I'm assuming you should be in good physical shape and able to run run run after the action. We've all seen the show, so I think you know what I'm talking about. 

I may do a few days when they're shooting in LA or Vegas but can't commit to this long of a job cause of the wife and kids so I'm passing it along to the fine peeps on this web forum. 

Please reply asap as they are scouting for the next sound guy right now. 

This is a steady paycheck for 8 months at a time and from what I hear they hardly have job openings. In fact, some of the camera guys on the show have been with the production since the show first came out. 

whats your email? for some reason it's saying I can't PM you until later today. Weird.

It's located in my profile. 

The anyone interested, and to all those who have already contacted me, I'm going to close this out tonight since I have quite a bit of people inquiring. 

Thanks a lot to all those who replied. I will forward your info to the producer. 

I worked on a different show that issued us vests, and a lot of it is having the right type and the right fit.

They do keep you warm. That was nice in the winter, but could be tough in the summer. That was the only discomfort inexperienced. I wish I could remember the brand I liked. I didn't get to keep my vest.

There's probably some sort of a relationship between comfort and effectiveness. The best are the large military purpose plate carriers, where heavy duty armor components can be fitted. "Bullet proof" and "water resistance" have a lot of commonalities. Yes will stop some bullets, but not in all conditions. A round could hit you at just the right angle / weave point, and penetrate, or if dealing with someone with a high energy round like .223 NATO or .308, most vests simply aren't effectice against the penetrating power of those rounds.

The best protection from bullets is to not get hit. Part of that is having a certain situational awareness about oneself. There should be some sort of training provided to be able to identify ingress / egress points, be familiar with SOP and actual police practices, danger, unknown, and clear arcs of fire, etc... that awareness and comfort working in active live fire environments will protect you more than any armor will.

There's probably some sort of a relationship between comfort and effectiveness. The best are the large military purpose plate carriers, where heavy duty armor components can be fitted. "Bullet proof" and "water resistance" have a lot of commonalities. Yes will stop some bullets, but not in all conditions. A round could hit you at just the right angle / weave point, and penetrate, or if dealing with someone with a high energy round like .223 NATO or .308, most vests simply aren't effectice against the penetrating power of those rounds.

The best protection from bullets is to not get hit. Part of that is having a certain situational awareness about oneself. There should be some sort of training provided to be able to identify ingress / egress points, be familiar with SOP and actual police practices, danger, unknown, and clear arcs of fire, etc... that awareness and comfort working in active live fire environments will protect you more than any armor will.

Very well said!

They gave us a talk on "these vests are level ???, which means...."

They were the same soft (flexible) ones cops wear, and not anywhere near the hard plate models that soldiers wear in combat. Our trauma plates were just Kevlar too. We definitely encountered a few places (drug houses and dog fighting operations) where the cops found hunting rifles with ammo loaded that would have gone right through the vests the cops (and all of us) were wearing.... So never fool yourself into thinking it's 100%. Work smart and stay safe. Pay attention to the seasoned pros you're following.

Perhaps the point was to make it easier to go back and read the thread about Dion's death.

Anyone considering the job probably should read through that thread, among other things... training comes to mind.

~tt

Very good point. I see how this would be beneficial to read so that one fully understands the risks involved. 

Sorry Rich Reilly, I didn't mean to trip like that. My bad.