Send this to all the Location Managers

Laurence

New map shows America's quietest places.

Based on 1.5 million hours of acoustical monitoring from places as remote as Dinosaur National Monument in Utah and as urban as New York City, scientists have created a map of noise levels across the country on an average summer day.

http://news.sciencemag.org/environment/2015/02/new-map-shows-americas-quietest-places

That doesn't sound like a huge waste of taxpayers money to you?

I would offer that it depends on their anual budget.

A certain amount of funding going toward this sort of thing actually sounds intelligent.

Being a sound engineer who likely spends a good portion of the day having his ears subjected to close-range signal overload (regardless of headphone volume levels) I would think even you would see the value in this.

~tt

Sounds like that work falls into the mission of NPS:

"The Natural Sounds and Night Skies Division works to restore, maintain, and protect acoustical environments and naturally dark skies throughout the National Park System. We work in partnership with parks and others to increase scientific understanding and inspire public appreciation of the value and character of undiminished soundscapes and star-filled skies."

More, including some cool links, here:

http://www.nature.nps.gov/sound_night/

Thanks for the link Laurence!

I would offer that it depends on their anual budget.

A certain amount of funding going toward this sort of thing actually sounds intelligent.

Being a sound engineer who likely spends a good portion of the day having his ears subjected to close-range signal overload (regardless of headphone volume levels) I would think even you would see the value in this.

~tt

Sounds like more needless bureaucracy spending other peoples money and making nonsensical laws.  No thank you.

Sounds like more needless bureaucracy spending other peoples money and making nonsensical laws. No thank you.

Again, I would offer that it depends on their budget - how they get their funding. Compared to the multitude of other financial sink holes and bureaucratic nonsense for which the government is responsible, from a Sound Engineer's perspective, I would place this very low on the why-the-hell-is-the-government-involved-in-that-O-meter.

There are some projects that are worthy of taxpayers money - I'd be interested to know just how much $ we're even discussing here - probably better off starting another thread though, in order to keep this thread from turning into another sociopolitical mudbath. I'm sure the OP would appreciate it.

~tt

In a world where an issue as serious and obvious as climate change struggles to gather support, I have little faith in anyone caring about noise pollution. 

Probably true, Jaymz.  But what if Don LaFontaine had read your post?

"In a world... where an issue... as serious and obvious as climate change... struggles to gather support!"