Quick Release for boom. Orca or Ambient QRT?

darwinnovicio

The ambient can only be difficult to use if you over complicate the process. I was over complicating it for years by twisting the quick lock open and lining up the mic mount stud and then closing the quick release.. Then one day my boom op walked up, dropped a zepplin on it, made a simple quick turn to the left with it, an it was automatically attached.. Very quick.. Now I know better. :)

The ambient can only be difficult to use if you over complicate the process. I was over complicating it for years by twisting the quick lock open and lining up the mic mount stud and then closing the quick release.. Then one day my boom op walked up, dropped a zepplin on it, made a simple quick turn to the left with it, an it was automatically attached.. Very quick.. Now I know better. :)

+1

That's the way

I still think though that the most effective quick release systems are the Togloc (Loon) or VdB and PSCtype systems (JW refers to them with a name I always forget), K-tek stage poles have them as well. The top of the boom comes off. Simple as that. It just feels more secure and simple IMO

This doesn't help anyone who's already bought a pole, I know, just thinking if anyone should read this wanting to invest in a pole and a quick release system, I suggest that they look at this option instead. I'm very happy with my PSC Elite pole. I know that the K-tek is awesome too.

So I just turn the lock with the mic already in, all with a single hand?

At the moment its a frustrating, hold the lock with one hand-while the fingers are trying to keep it twisted and open-while the other hand is trying to align the mic in there, type of sequence and at times it does not lock shut and gets stuck too...

So I just turn the lock with the mic already in, all with a single hand?

At the moment its a frustrating, hold the lock with one hand-while the fingers are trying to keep it twisted and open-while the other hand is trying to align the mic in there, type of sequence and at times it does not lock shut and gets stuck too...

OK wow, thank you so much for that, I wish this info was more widely available! :D