Quick Release for boom. Orca or Ambient QRT?

darwinnovicio

Well, Ambient should have made it clear in the manual or somewhere sometime... too bad... 

Agreed, that is too bad. I didn't know this until reading this thread and I own three of them. I already liked them, but that should be made much more clear to people. I wonder how many people abandoned their product because that wasn't clear...

No, the ambient works like this; you pull it to the left, it reveals the hole where the tip goes in. You put the tip in and release, it doesn't do that by itself... . However, the quick and easy way is to put the tip into the holes in the purple part, then pull and the tip falls into place. It makes sense when you see it.

So: you click it open to the left and when you press a tip in, it releases/clicks back to lock ?

No need to turn anything before sticking the mic in, just stick the mic in and turn the mic left, it turns the Quicklok and locks all by itself! 

Had it for 2 years and never really got to like the thing until today, a little note could have saved so much frustration Ambient!

I still think though that the most effective quick release systems are the Togloc (Loon) or VdB and PSCtype systems (JW refers to them with a name I always forget), K-tek stage poles have them as well. The top of the boom comes off. Simple as that. It just feels more secure and simple IMO

This doesn't help anyone who's already bought a pole, I know, just thinking if anyone should read this wanting to invest in a pole and a quick release system, I suggest that they look at this option instead. I'm very happy with my PSC Elite pole. I know that the K-tek is awesome too.

Panamic poles also have a similar thing where the tip of the pole is a quick release spigot. 

Only thing with Ambient: after a couple of years of use They will lock to the tip that tight when doing the plugntwist thing you gonna need some very strong Fingers or smtimes a Gerber Tool. Repairing is nearly as expensive as buying a new one.

Funny I have never had this happen and I've been using two of them for years?

My Ambient Quiklocks jam up on release every now and then. They are both a few years old. If i twist them so as the boom mount undos from the spigot then usually the spigot becomes unjamed. Can't say why exactly but I imagine it is due to opposite force. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody and thank you Todd for sharing this on the forum, 

I'm very sorry that this obviously remaineed a secret for so long. It sometimes is difficult to see the need of such explanations if you constructed it, as everything seems so obvious to you. Again our apologies. We will add this to the manual from the next badge on!

Cheers

Timo

My Ambient Quiklocks jam up on release every now and then. They are both a few years old. If i twist them so as the boom mount undos from the spigot then usually the spigot becomes unjamed. Can't say why exactly but I imagine it is due to opposite force.

Nate there should be a tiny screw on the side that im guessing stops the entire thing from becoming loose. Although mine did not come with one so I cannot say how well it works but I assume that was the idea.

Timo sorry for missing the obvious :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nate there should be a tiny screw on the side that im guessing stops the entire thing from becoming loose. Although mine did not come with one so I cannot say how well it works but I assume that was the idea.

Timo sorry for missing the obvious :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong, ... Obviously it is not obvious enough! So we should make it more obvious... What I wanted to say is that we had this in mind while constructing it but...

Aaah you know what I mean... :)

I use the Orca quick releases...   kind of wish I went with Sound guys one,  the orca is really simple and works well... but 2 things,

it rocks just ever so slightly,  doesn't effect the track, but man it's annoying.  And secondly,  some of the metal used on the housing rusts,  I am surprised they'd of released any part of it that rusts.

• 3 weeks later...