New camera: Arri Alexa Mini

Oh man-- think new Amira owners are a little ticked off?

I don't think so, this is not meant for the same use. It's not like it is drastically cheaper than the Amira. I don't know what the cost would be for one versus the other when they are all built, but they seem to be the same ballpark. It's completely stripped down to be as small and light as possible, and you're paying a lot of money for a little carbon fiber box. The Amira is more of a doc or ENG style camera.

I have a feeling some people will buy these because of the size (for a Ronin setup or something similar) and try to double their usage by hooking up some sort of shoulder mount system. Time will tell.

Each of the Arri's -- Alexa, Amira, & Alexa Mini -- is designed for a distinctly different specific function -- cinema style shooting, doc style shooting, portable rigs (drones, handheld stabilizers, tight spaces), yet all will deliver the same quality end result and follow the same workflow.

Impressive!

They're well thought out and reflect Arri's years of high end experience in the camera marketplace.

The Arris are unique in that they're a worthwhile investment (like most pro cameras used to be) that's not obsolete the week after someone buys them.

The Red Camera people are in a bit of a frenzy because the Alexa Mini is very similar in size and shape to the basic Red Epic. A few are grudgingly admitting that this is really just a specialty camera for cranes, drones, 3D rigs, and other places where you need a tiny camera that only weighs 5 pounds (minus lens and battery). 

I admire Arri for their product integrity - especially with regard to their digital cinema cameras. Arri cameras maintain a good deal of their value over the long haul, unlike some other manufacturers whose sole business model is planned [short term] obsolescence and product line bastardization. They don't make printers, microwave ovens, televisions or other consumer goods. They make products specifically for professional film/video applications.

No sound input but two nice fans. I think this cam is not intended to replace the big Alexas but just an expensive "add on" for gimbal use (like if there would be no need to record sound when using a gimbal...)

Good that Arri made the move to get the Epic's form factor after 4 years of R&D now get the native resolution from 2.8k to something standard in the industry!

The good news is that I don't see any fans on the new RED camera called "Weapon" (like the name or not, I'm not a fan of that name) hope we will get more infos soon. Kill the need for a fan!

Pat

No audio inputs on the Alexa Mini, from what I'm told. It does have genlock in and timecode in. I tend to doubt that this will be a primary camera on sound shoots -- it strikes me as only a very specialized camera for certain kinds of shoots. Perfect if you need to jump out a plane with a camera on your head.

As I said, the mini is just an expesive add on, not designed as a camera.

Pat

I wouldn't be too quick to assume that. The Alexa Mini web site mentions the availability of a viewfinder for it and it could easily be tricked out as a full-fledged cinema camera. My guess is that we'll be seeing some of them perform multiple-duty on set.

I wouldn't be too quick to assume that. The Alexa Mini web site mentions the availability of a viewfinder for it and it could easily be tricked out as a full-fledged cinema camera. My guess is that we'll be seeing some of them perform multiple-duty on set.

Yes exactly there's a whole mini-industry sprung up for tricking out a wide range of cameras, and the Alexa Mini will quite probably sell in larger numbers than most.

And of course Arri is quite good at making it's own accessories. :)

Here's a C300 / Aaton XTR

post-2842-0-02870900-1424916020_thumb.jp