MacBook Pro Late 2011 (and others) video fault

soundmanjohn

Apple has quietly admitted that there might be a problem with the video chips on 'a small percentage' of MacBook Pro models. Just a month too late for me, as mine crapped out during prep for a show and I had to go out and buy another one. Still, at least it looks as though I can get my old one fixed and sell it on.

Here's a link that gives some background info:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/k5vzbej

And here's the official Apple link:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Regards,

John

On June 29, 2007 Apple released iphone and since then "I" started to think that they are a company makes products for average consumer. Today, they are bigger and richer. Unfortunately we still don't have better overall alternative when it comes to computers but that doesn't change the fact that they are all made by a company that is aimed non-professional users at this point. I won't argue that! Maybe they always were. Well, I would argue that!

Most of their reliable products didn't have gray aluminum casing. Not that it is the fault of Aluminum...

Going back the OP. I'm not surprised. Thank you for the warning!

Engin

• 3 weeks later...

Just FYI, I took my affected MBP into the Apple Store a couple of days ago to get it fixed under the quality care program. In order for this to happen, the machine has to fail a test which, as this is an intermittent fault, mine failed to do. I explained the circumstances under which failure would occur (high temperature, fans operating and hard drive attached) and the helpful "genius" blocked the vents until the fans came on at full speed, plugged in a FireWire drive and almost instantly the graphics distortion showed up. After checking with a colleague, he confirmed that picture evidence was enough to qualify the machine for the free repair, replicated the conditions, took a pic with his iPad and told me my repaired machine would be back with me in three to five days.

So if you've got one of these faulty machines and are considering the repair, you might like to bear the above in mind. Take a bus powered FireWire drive with you and something to block the vents in case yours fails the test.

Regards,

John

Edit: Took the machine in on Thursday mid-day: just got an email (Saturday afternoon) to say it's ready to pick up. Not bad going.

• 6 months later...

I have a 2011 17" MBP that had this problem. I paid $310 to Apple to replace the graphics card in 2014. Earlier this year Apple contacted me to refund the $310 and extend the apple care protection on my 2011 MBP for another year. So far it's working great. This is a great example of why I always purchase my Apple products directly through Apple. 

Edited by Christopher Salazar