Mini Solice used with SD633

Malcolm Davies Amps CAS

I had a chat with Ron about the bleed right when they started shipping. He said it was a price point/spec issue. In practice I have not been adversely affected by it as I'm never in a scenario that has all faders completely down.

On tv shows its a concern where we have actors all wired all the time and would not want private conversations being recorded in scenes where they're off set. We typically just disable the track, but if the bleed is going to the mix then its a problem.

I do Malcom, my 1k / -20dbfs ref gen is going to the 633 inputs all of which are being recorded and calibrated pre fade ISO, so fader position on 633 is irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael,and Nick

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've used the Mini Solice with the 633. As a mixer, it's minimal and in several ways not ideal it terms of gain, layout, and metering, but the small footprint is helpful and the power consumption is very low. Also, to use the inputs and outputs, special cables are required, though some of them are somewhat standard. The pinouts of the 25-pin connectors are standard, but the 25-pin output is nonstandard in that it is a male (most of this type are female, whether input of output), so a special cable is required. Regarding metering, when I was using the Mini Solice it's color-coding was different that other devices, in that the meter LEDs changed to yellow well before the recorder, which tended to result in recordings with lower level than than should have been (hopefully this color scale has changed by now, but I'm not aware that it has). With some effort, the mixer can be made to work for a mix and 8 iso tracks, and for anything of that size and price it stands alone.

gt

Fyi a 25pin turnaround can be found fairly easy to help with prefabbed snakes. it had never occured to me till i tried to plug in. Thankfully local computer parts place had one in stock or i would have been SOL on a gig i bought the snakes for. Metering colors iirc seem to be different across multiple mixers/recorders. A few small pieces of ND are highly recommended as the lowest setting brightness level is still blinding.

-Ken

Fyi a 25pin turnaround can be found fairly easy to help with prefabbed snakes. it had never occured to me till i tried to plug in. Thankfully local computer parts place had one in stock or i would have been SOL on a gig i bought the snakes for. Metering colors iirc seem to be different across multiple mixers/recorders. A few small pieces of ND are highly recommended as the lowest setting brightness level is still blinding.

-Ken

True, a 25-pin female/female turnaround will work, but it is a little disconcerting not knowing the grounding and shielding configuration of the adapter (though for line level it shouldn't be a big concern). Fryes has them. I believe that metering colors on the commonly used mixers and recorders are green until the 0VU reference (20dB below max), then yellow until -10, then red. Since no one stares (or should stare) at the mixer's meter scale numbers while recording, and generally watches the metering in the periphery, the affects of the meter's early color change to yellow can be significant.

I haven't checked recently, but I understood that the too-bright LED metering was to have been fixed by now. It was originally so bright in the "dim" setting, that a piece of black gaffers tape brought it down to a good level on a dark (normal) sound stage.

gt

Yikes! Bought mine fairly recently so maybe mine is updated and still too bright for dark sets? I've got the nd trick down now to where i double up with 2 strips of nd and leave the last couple red lights exposed on the meters and it acts as a double safety if i run too hot.

-ken