On-Set comm/talkback rigs for sound crew

Phil Palmer

I'm planning on adding a talkback system for and from my boom operators into my current rig.  After seeing what Simon Hayes has integrated into his cart and what I know a few others have built, may I ask what other sound mixers have implemented for comm within their crew?

What are you using for the boom ops?  What wireless system or systems are you using?  Is there anything specific as to how you have it patched or routed that may be specific to your rig?  What headphone/boomsets are your crew using or are they using a lav?

Thanks in advance to this great brain trust.

Best,

PWP

The comms section on the Sonosax SX-ST is really nice so that is one plus to using the SX-ST. I use Lectro IFB to send my T/B to the boom op. I try to use wireless boom as much as possible which is usually a Lectro HM. Sometimes I go wired but still use the wireless talkback. I haven't implemented talkback from my boom op yet but I have thought of a few ways. I thought about using either a lav or using a headset that just plugs into a TX pack as well. The new L series could be a good option since they have an assignable switch on top that can be set as T/B. Would love to hear what others are doing as well and what boom ops prefer.

i use motorola walkies w/surveillance earpieces  - that way we can communicate, even if not on set. i take off the earpiece plug (leaving just the stem) so i can still hear program audio in both ears with headphones on. simple, cheap, and effective.

my boom op uses a SD mm-1 to hear himself, and if he ever needs to hear the lavs we just feed a lectro IFB into it.

forgot to mention - these are my personal walkies, not production walkies. different freqs so nobody can listen in to our conversations!

I wire up walkie surveilance mics with TA5 connectors, and then use a spare Lectrosonics transmitter. Output of receiver feeds my returns. Works well for me because I can leave the returns open and their comm's are push-to-talk.

Hello Bud.  This sounds intriguing.  Do you notice an audible "thump" when depressing the motorola switch?  Not a deal breaker at all, as I think this is a nice solution and you can keep the transmitters fired up.  With the routing ability on the O1v I can keep it live on my headphone feed and the Private IFB allowing for crew communication.

The other alternative is to have a Lav mic or boomset headphones with a UM or the new LT series transmitters and use the on/off switch as the PTT.  

Hello Bud.  This sounds intriguing.  Do you notice an audible "thump" when depressing the motorola switch?  Not a deal breaker at all, as I think this is a nice solution and you can keep the transmitters fired up.  With the routing ability on the O1v I can keep it live on my headphone feed and the Private IFB allowing for crew communication.

The other alternative is to have a Lav mic or boomset headphones with a UM or the new LT series transmitters and use the on/off switch as the PTT.  

Tried this with the L-Series, the talkback function actually makes the TX lose sync and re-establish sync as it is switched, so there's a delay as it switches the output on a RX. 

You can program it to Mute, which I would say is more practical for this purpose, The switch is in a great place as well as a LCD that tells you when its muted and when it isn't.

But truly, we need a tx/rx combo!

Hi Phil;

A few thoughts from a boom op perspective.

Some type of PTT is a must. Any system with live mic's is crazy making. A surveillance mic wired for Lectro works great and Buds idea with the LF rolloff seems like it would solve my one complaint. I have gotten used to using walkies and I borrowed Devendra's idea for integrating my IFB feed into one headset. Though the quality is not as nice I do like being able to get on Ch. 1 when necessary.

Also, I personally would not use a "boomset". I tend to work the pole close to my body and often at eye level. Though it may sound strange I found myself hitting the pole with the headset mic as I turn my head between the actors and the camera. I also don't like to be committed to one pair of headphones.

Curious to see what you decide to go with.

Cheers,

Mike Primmer

I, like Bud, have wired a TA5 to a walkie mic. There is a pop that happens when you key up, but I've decided I like that. When the utility or boom op hits the talk back button, that little pop gets my attention. They even use the clicking sound to acknowledge things non-verbally. Works great! I run all of that into the aux that goes to sound dept ifb feed. We can all talk to each other all the time.

Bag based, so no mixing desk involved. So there's some improvised, custom-DIY'ed stuff in here.

I feed my boom op the 788T's X1 so I can quickly give him whatever source he needs.

X1 goes into a DIY box that has a gooseneck mic and a PTT button, and sums both mic and X1 into a G3 transmitter feeding his IEM.

Boom op has another G3 transmitter with a wireless PTT button. We converted a stills camera's remote trigger to control the SK300 mute function. He has the button box mounted to the boom with some foam and rubber rings.

He uses a Beyerdynamic DT 290 (?) with hypercardioid mic.

The receiver on my end goes into a headphone amp, together with another 788T output set to follow phones selection.

As I like to listen at fixed volume anyway, this box is buried deep inside the bag.

X1 goes into a DIY box that has a gooseneck mic and a PTT button, and sums both mic and X1 into a G3 transmitter feeding his IEM.

Boom op has another G3 transmitter with a wireless PTT button. We converted a stills camera's remote trigger to control the SK300 mute function. He has the button box mounted to the boom with some foam and rubber rings.

He uses a Beyerdynamic DT 290 (?) with hypercardioid mic.

Hi Peter !

Awesome setup.

Pictures of the DIY box and the rubber/foam box would be higly appreciated.

assuming we are talking completely wireless ...

it may not be the most cost effective set up if you don't have already have extra tx-rx around… but if you have extra lectro then a lectro "mute" can be used (the on-off belt switch) it can be wired to whatever mic you choose (or have already) a cheap lav or headband (or whatever) a custom length cable can be made to mount the switch wherever a boom op may prefer…  paired with an ifb or comtek and your good to go …

http://www.lectrosonics.com/US/lectrosonics-transmitter-accessories/product/243-mute.html

or if budget isn't the first order & you don't want to play mcgiver telex has some nice stuff at various levels … however some research for the right headset for the boom op to use may be in order as well as some custom cable at the mixer end to integrate 

point to point

http://www.rtsintercoms.com/us/rts/products/RKP-4_Synthesized_Digitally_Encrypted_Digital_Matrix_Wireless_Keypanels/68?fam[]=60&fam[]=61

or for larger crews and options ...

http://www.rtsintercoms.com/us/rts/products/BTR-80N_Narrow_Band_Two-Channel_UHF_Wireless_Intercoms/64?fam[]=60&fam[]=61

http://www.rtsintercoms.com/us/rts/products/BTR-800_Two-Channel_UHF_Wireless_Intercoms/65?fam[]=60&fam[]=61

and for 2.4GHz ...

http://www.rtsintercoms.com/us/rts/products/BTR-240_Wireless_Intercom_System/178?fam[]=60&fam[]=63

Here's a +1 for a product that doesn't get enough exposure:

The Tony Smyles Comm-Biner

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/The-Smyles-Comm-Biner.html

With a comm-biner, you could use production-issued walkies as a comms source throughout the whole department, and not have to rely on more expensive TX+RX options.  The added benefit is that the comm-biner kit comes with a rewired push-to-talk surveillance headset and mic so that it can be used with or without headphones.  This way, you're always wired into each other, even between shots.

The new version of the comm-biner is has the upgrade of having each ear switchable, to rout comms to either the L, R, or both ears.  It's a nice touch, in a package that's much nicer than the 1st gen.

This is an inexpensive way to add communication throughout the whole department, without switching out any of your existing gear.  I highly recommend it!