Sound Devices 688 + SL-6

Ze Frias

Yesterday, I was  recording a live concert. Eight mics on my 788 plus a CL9. Some HP filters were set à 40Hz ( good for music).
It seems to me that the 688 is only a 664 plus a few feature. (input delay, wirelleses dashboard, mini knobs for 6-12)

If I were only working or realities, I would buy a 664 or 688. As I am working on various kind  of sound projects I will keep my 788 : 664 and 688 are particularly made for wirelesses.
On a 5 weeks doco I tried the 663 that impress me. I only miss 40 Hz HP filter (for some low frequencies wild sounds) and input 1-3 linking (DMS).

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the sl6 have to be mounted on the 688 to work? I know the cable is short, but if a longer cable could be made, with remote control of the receivers, you could move that weight to a backpack. Way better weight distribution.

My biggest complaint about carrying a bag is all the weight has to be up front, which is a very uncomfortable and unnatural place to put it.

It's a great looking combo.

Does the sl6 have to be mounted on the 688 to work? I know the cable is short, but if a longer cable could be made, with remote control of the receivers, you could move that weight to a backpack. Way better weight distribution.

My biggest complaint about carrying a bag is all the weight has to be up front, which is a very uncomfortable and unnatural place to put it.

Love this idea.

Assuming you mean the SL-6 (the wireless slot in add-on) and not the CL-6 (the fader panel add-on), don't really know. I'm sure more info will come to light as the day approaches. Though they announce the 688 will be out next month, the SL-6 won't be out until the summer. So there may be some waiting before you get your answer.

Sorry, yes I did mean the SL-6.

Thanks

Steve

That would be pretty sweet. It'll already be powered by it's own NP batt, and you could mount dipoles on the shoulder straps.

I don't see the above comment from Scott Farr in jwsound group on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sounddevices/permalink/10153096099359906/?comment_id=10153096336924906&offset=0&total_comments=4

I wanted to direct link it in my post. Just found out how to do it.

Im dumb. My apologies. It's in the Sound Devices FB group. I will edit my original post.

My point is: For me this is not a replacement for 788. 688 simple offers more "features" from 664.

Waiting to see the new 788

I don't think the 688 is meant as a replacement of the 788 at all.

To all those hoping for a Cl-12, I don't quite get it. I mean yes, if they did make one that would be great, but this is still essentially marketed as a field mixer for bag use. The Sl-6 highlights that. It's a great idea, but I don't find it that useful on a cart. So why would they bother designing a linear fader panel for a mixer (which already has a fader pack) that's meant to be used in a bag?

Like Vas, I'm still waiting (and hoping) for bigger and better 788, like a 799 perhaps or an 888.

•  
  • 10350633_10203914792978183_1902807431160
  • Robert Buncher Matt Mayer. Are you saying not Mix 12 for the 633 or no mix 12 for the 688? Thanks.
  • 400661_10201165671729817_84424764_n.jpg?
  • Matt Mayer Correct. The 633 doesn't have any connection available for any external fader pack.
  • 10350633_10203914792978183_1902807431160
    Robert Buncher Thanks for the reply. I believe some folks were misreading your statement to mean no fader for the 688 and I did not think that is what you said.

your move Zaxcom.

Deva32.

Sorry for the thread hijack. But I just wanted to reply to "resonate".

Zaxcom's next move is a real game changer for everyone. While I can't get into too many details at this point - I can say that Deva32 is only a small part of what Zaxcom will be announcing at NAB.

Just be prepared to have your minds blown.