Sound Devices 688 + SL-6

Ze Frias

Yes, but Actually the Sony DWX is not currently able to work with the SL-6.

I have put Sony's pro audio product manager Andy Munitz in touch with Paul Issacs at Sound Devices and Sony is working on a solution, it's a Sony unislot pin incompatibility issue

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but Actually the Sony DWX is not currently able to work with the SL-6.

I have put Sony's pro audio product manager Andy Munitz in touch with Paul Issacs at Sound Devices and Sony is working on a solution, it's a Sony unislot pin incompatibility issue

Good to know some interaction is happening between them, hopefully they will be able to integrate and provide a solution. I did come across information somewhere mentioning the same issue.

The bigger issue, literally, is that the Sony slot receivers are 3.5" wide while the Panasonic slot is only 2.68" wide.

I noticed this issue as well. Would that mean that they will have to design a variant of the SL-6 which is specific to SONY to be able to integrate?

Seriously? Why would SD do that when Sony goes out of their way to be different?

Innovation comes from being and thinking different, Sony basically started the digital wireless innovation, which other manufacturers like Lectrosonics, Audio Ltd., Sennheiser, etc. are now catching up to. I was using features in my DWX series that weren't even available by any other manufactures for years later.

I like innovation. Collaboration between commercially competitive innovators, depends on their respective decision makers, on which I have no particular say or opinion about. All I have is the power to invest, which I did for Sony's innovation. As an end user, in my ideal world, I wish all innovators could collaborate, which then bumps up the resulting products, and tools, I could use to do my job more effectively and easily.

Innovation comes from being and thinking different, Sony basically started the digital wireless innovation, which other manufacturers like Lectrosonics, Audio Ltd., Sennheiser, etc. are now catching up to. I was using features in my DWX series that weren't even available by any other manufactures for years later.

I like innovation. Collaboration between commercially competitive innovators, depends on their respective decision makers, on which I have no particular say or opinion about. All I have is the power to invest, which I did for Sony's innovation. As an end user, in my ideal world, I wish all innovators could collaborate, which then bumps up the resulting products, and tools, I could use to do my job more effectively and easily.

I think the folks over at Zaxcom might disagree with you in regards to starting the digital wireless innovation comment.

Innovation is what SD has done by collaborating with other manufacturers to develop the Super Slot standard. Sony in no uncertain terms makes it a point to be different than the rest of the industry so you are forced to use their products to enjoy all of the functionality. OR develop a work around like Lectro did in the case of Sonys cameras with slot receivers only being able to use 1 channel if its not a sony product.

Its fine to like what you like. It works for you, and thats all that matters in the big picture. I think the statement that you expect SD to go out of its way to conform to one manufacturer is not fine for the reasons I've stated...especially when other manufacturers have willingly adopted other slot standards and now are collaborating to make super slot successful.

If Sony was really interested...for your sake they would adopt the standard to make your life easier...not the other way around.

Maybe the information is inaccuate, but it appears that Sony was the first to introduce the "Slot-in" receiver unit into the market, according to their own history: https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/resource.solutions.bbsccms-assets-micro-proaudio-solutions-HistoryOfSonyMicrophones.shtml

Just because Sony claims to have made the first "slot-in" receiver does not imply that it was an open standard that other manufacturers were able use. As pointed out, Sony is notorious for this. Memory Stick anyone? My understanding is that Unislot was designed from the ground up as an open standard by Ikegami and adopted by Panasonic (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). It seems then that Sony never changed their form factor to conform with the standard.

I understand that Sony would want to make their products work with their products especially considering that they actually do manufacturer both audio and video. However as Ikegami and Panasonic are not audio companies, they provided the tools for others like Lectrosonics to easily plug into and let them do what they do best. I doubt that there is anything preventing Sony from adopting Unislot except Sony themselves.

"Innovation comes from being and thinking different, Sony basically started the digital wireless innovation, which other manufacturers like Lectrosonics, Audio Ltd., Sennheiser, etc. are now catching up to. I was using features in my DWX series that weren't even available by any other manufactures for years later."

Zaxcom invented the Digital Wireless microphone and predates Sony by at least 6 years.

Glenn

OK... off topic again (above)..Anybody seen the SL-6 in action attached to the 688 (what does the 688 show onscreen of the receiver status etc)?
I know the SL-6 is on it's way but maybe that SD at the NAB showed something?(screenshots of the 688 with SL-6 info/display/receiverinfo maybe?)

OK... off topic again (above)..Anybody seen the SL-6 in action attached to the 688 (what does the 688 show onscreen of the receiver status etc)?

I know the SL-6 is on it's way but maybe that SD at the NAB showed something?(screenshots of the 688 with SL-6 info/display/receiverinfo maybe?)

I think your question is pretty on topic, considering the thread is about the 688 and SL-6.

I did get a chance to see the receiver info screen on the 688 at NAB. I wished i would've taken a picture, but it gives you a display and control of each receiver's frequency and will show you the typical RF signal strength bars graphic too. I thought it was neat.

This video from B&H has some good information and shows the SL-6 interface.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlv8K8yH7ao

I've spoken with Sound Devices and in addition to what is shown in the video here, there will be new menu options in the PFL menus. Now when you toggle into any track's PFL menu there will be an SL-6 option and you can then rout any wireless receiver to any track. From my discussion with them, Sound Devices also plans to be able to save frequency coordinations that can be reloaded to the receivers in the SL-6. Not sure if this will be available at launch or in firmware upgrades.

Hopefully, and to be clear this is just a dream for me, Super Slot will evolve so that you can run scans through the mixer control and then an intermod algorithm will be calculated at which point the mixer will assign the best frequencies for you and load them into the receivers. Similar to a Zaxcom RX12. I spoke with Sound Devices about this and while they made it clear that they do not have scanning in the mixer yet, it didn't sound impossible.

The bigger issue, literally, is that the Sony slot receivers are 3.5" wide while the Panasonic slot is only 2.68" wide.

Another issue that might be relevant regarding superslot and Sony DWX compatability:

I am actually getting a metering anomaly when a Sony DWX receiver is connected via analog mic level XLR to my SD 664. It works without a hitch on transformer balanced inputs (MixPre-D for example). The anomaly is there even when both devices are powered via internal battery and using starquad cabling.

AES3id -> AES3 connection to SD664 works fine though.

Still waiting for a response to my email to SD technical support.

post-2812-0-94030400-1431161552_thumb.jp

I think your question is pretty on topic, considering the thread is about the 688 and SL-6.

I did get a chance to see the receiver info screen on the 688 at NAB. I wished i would've taken a picture, but it gives you a display and control of each receiver's frequency and will show you the typical RF signal strength bars graphic too. I thought it was neat.

Yes Jose I know it is 'on topic' (not 'pretty' .but ;ON) ,was pointing 'above'to posters about Sony and who invented digital wireless etc,etc.

that seems to me 'off topic' in this discussion ( as Jeff pointed out allready...!)

Okay, I've been using my 664 for a couple years now. Now I just bought the 688 (3 weeks ago) 'cause i wanted the mix assist. The 1st most annoying thing is that it draws a lot more power than the 664. At least 50% more in my estimation. Also the battery meter is not as nice. instead of a bar that keeps getting smaller, you just have GREEN, YELLOW, then RED... And then it dies real quick. There are no voltage threshold adjustments - only battery type choices. I've lost battery twice durring shooting. Wish I wouldn't have got this thing - no big improvement over the 664... Also it won't interface with CL-9, or CL-WiFi, so I guess I'll have to keep my 788 for cart work.

Okay, I've been using my 664 for a couple years now. Now I just bought the 688 (3 weeks ago) 'cause i wanted the mix assist. The 1st most annoying thing is that it draws a lot more power than the 664. At least 50% more in my estimation. Also the battery meter is not as nice. instead of a bar that keeps getting smaller, you just have GREEN, YELLOW, then RED... And then it dies real quick. There are no voltage threshold adjustments - only battery type choices. I've lost battery twice durring shooting. Wish I wouldn't have got this thing - no big improvement over the 664... Also it won't interface with CL-9, or CL-WiFi, so I guess I'll have to keep my 788 for cart work.

Its a bummer about the battery life and display...Hopefully they can work something out for that..

As far as your CL-9/CL-Wifi...You had to know going into your purchase that 688 wouldn't work with those devices.

Its a bummer about the battery life and display...Hopefully they can work something out for that..

As far as your CL-9/CL-Wifi...You had to know going into your purchase that 688 wouldn't work with those devices.

Yep!And get more NP-1's!!(wow. I just bought a 688 + SL -6....+3x srb .....NP-1 heaven......I must get more of those!)

"Innovation comes from being and thinking different, Sony basically started the digital wireless innovation, which other manufacturers like Lectrosonics, Audio Ltd., Sennheiser, etc. are now catching up to. I was using features in my DWX series that weren't even available by any other manufactures for years later."

Zaxcom invented the Digital Wireless microphone and predates Sony by at least 6 years.

Glenn

My mistake, I shouldn't have given credit to Sony that Zaxcom deserves. I just asked a question regarding compatibility of SONY DWR with the SL-6 and was curious to know how things would move forward, or not?

I am invested in Zaxcom too, so I appreciate the innovation of your products too Glenn :)

how does it sound compared to 664? how are limiters working compared to 664?

Okay, I've been using my 664 for a couple years now. Now I just bought the 688 (3 weeks ago) 'cause i wanted the mix assist. [...] Wish I wouldn't have got this thing - no big improvement over the 664... Also it won't interface with CL-9, or CL-WiFi, so I guess I'll have to keep my 788 for cart work.

So, how well is the Mixassist working for you?

I'm still using a 664, but thinking about upgrading to a 688. At the same time, the 644 gets the job done, just want the Mixassist functionality when there's a lot of people on lavs speaking at the same time.

Cheers

Fred

• 1 month later...

SL-6 arrived today... I hadn't noticed in the photos (before now) that Lectro SRBs are pictured with a black riser... now as I'm putting this together it's immediately obvious that you must get the Unislot Adapter (+ Screw Kit) for each SRB you plan to install in this.

• 2 weeks later...

just read your post, do you still have buyers remorse? If so I may consider buying the 688 from you or setting up some kind of trade/payment for my 664. If you want to get ride of it message me. Thanks.

• 5 months later...