Nuendo 7

ramallo

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if they are going to have a subscription option like Pro Tools is doing with v12? I've always wanted to give Nuendo a try, but I don't want to throw down the kind of cash they are asking to try something I'm not sure if I'm going to like. I've been using PT since I started and it would be hard for me to change over to something else. 

Damn, I should maybe do a quick upgrade from 5 to 6.5 -> grace period upgrade to 7?

edit: or wait until they announce a release date or something.

I think Timo said at one point that Q1 was a bit optimistic, and then recently that Q2 was "looking good". Judging from history and how he expresses himself I'd be very surprised if we saw it come out before the third month of Q2. I'm on 6.0.7 and I think I'll move to 6.5 the second half of May or so. I'll definitely skip April.

For you though I'd look at the upgrade price history. There was quite a leap at one point, and I'm wondering if you'll really lose that much if you wait. I can't remember. For me it might make sense to get on the latest version as late as possible, although that's 'gambling' a bit.

Does anyone know if they are going to have a subscription option like Pro Tools is doing with v12? I've always wanted to give Nuendo a try, but I don't want to throw down the kind of cash they are asking to try something I'm not sure if I'm going to like. I've been using PT since I started and it would be hard for me to change over to something else. 

I highly recommend you buy the dongle and give it a try. You can find a dongle for about $20-25, and then you get 400 hours of free fully-functional Nuendo (without the NEK I think). I think in terms of testing an app that's almost unbeatable. If you don't like it then keep the dongle or sell it. Btw; the 400 hours are the hours you use, so it's not like you start it on Monday 8am and then 16.66 days later it's expired - you can actually work on it for three days, take a one week break from it, and that week shouldn't eat up those 400 hours. A good deal in my opinion.

Steinberg has stated that they don't have any plans for a subscription. I am inclined to believe them to be honest. And further more my bet is that if they ever do they'll either make it optional in addition to what they currently do, or it will at least be at a point in time where the app is so good at least I am not concerned with it (i.e. I'll be happy sticking with that version for some time).

I'm actually excited about v7. As I said, I'm on 6.0.7 now and what I will get moving to v7 is (in PT terminology) Playlists, VCAs, Import Session Data, and I think another one or two things that are overdue. That in addition with all the Nuendo-exclusive features to me puts it way ahead of PT, assuming proper stability and ignoring the dominance of PT in the market.

If you're on 6.x, I'd recommend upping to 6.5. New features and -- maybe I'm fooling myself, here -- but it seems like I'm now getting really nice, fast AAF import from Avid. (I brought in a 100-minute movie this afternoon, in four separate acts, in about ten minutes. Including high res video and thumbnails.)

Nuendo trial gives you 18 days of full use of the app, that's 24 hours x 8 days. All you need is the eLicenser dongle which you can get for $20 or so. The full use trial will go on until that actual use time is used up. This way you can spend your time when you have it in the app to see if it works for you. It is one of the few DAWs out there that has timecode, as I am sure most here know. It is really too bad it is so expensive at the outset. Not into subscription s/w myself. 

Nuendo trial gives you 18 days of full use of the app, that's 24 hours x 8 days. All you need is the eLicenser dongle which you can get for $20 or so. The full use trial will go on until that actual use time is used up. This way you can spend your time when you have it in the app to see if it works for you. It is one of the few DAWs out there that has timecode, as I am sure most here know. It is really too bad it is so expensive at the outset. Not into subscription s/w myself. 

Did they change from 400 hours? It used to be 400, not 192.

And personally I don't really think it's an expensive app at all, all things considered.

Yes, sorry for the mix up. 400 hours. The point is, if you have a way to do your production work in it to help offset the cost, it makes the proposition a bit easier to swallow.

It is expensive if you are seriously considering the other alternatives. If you look at it on it's own merits, in isolation, then that is a different story.

Yes, sorry for the mix up. 400 hours. The point is, if you have a way to do your production work in it to help offset the cost, it makes the proposition a bit easier to swallow.

It is expensive if you are seriously considering the other alternatives. If you look at it on it's own merits, in isolation, then that is a different story.

I still don't see how it is expensive considering other alternatives. If you look at the very basic things the arguably average post-pro engineer needs then I think you get more for less with Nuendo.

- Surround? Yes.

- Media Management? Yes.

For that you'll need PT HD + Soundminer (or equivalent), which will put you in a higher price bracket than Nuendo, even with the NEK. If you need ADR functionality it's more expensive still. Professional and proprietary controller? Same deal; Nuage vs. s6, the latter being more expensive again.

Except Nuendo simply doesn't have the market penetration that Pro-Tools has, here in the USA.

So, if you're gojg to do Auro post, you will need both.

Unless you are your own one stop production services that will never ever ever deliver outside of your facility.

Which will also of course limit your future in regards to getting work anywhere else.

What Henchman said. There is software much better than PT, but using it and getting it to translate completely to PT at the end of the workflow is almost next to impossible. Why PT at the end - is because almost EVERY mix stage uses PT only. 

I saw what Fairlight is doing now, and it was very impressive. 

Soundscape is still considered any day better than PT, however, SSL will not do enough to promote it and keep developments abreast of the times in terms of workflows. 

Nuendo was great when i first used it in 2000. I am sure it has moved leaps and bounds to what it is now. 

There's another German company that makes a DAW which is also great, i forget the name... 

• 2 weeks later...

Nuendo is awesome,   like henchman said to, in my experience,  need both.  Nuendo for projects that are delivered in final form,  and protools when it goes on to the next.

In a perfect post world,  it would be ruled by nuendo,  quicker, easier, mo better.

Make your perfect post world.

:)

For you though I'd look at the upgrade price history. There was quite a leap at one point, and I'm wondering if you'll really lose that much if you wait. I can't remember. For me it might make sense to get on the latest version as late as possible, although that's 'gambling' a bit.

I just realized I could just juy the upgrade and simply not install/register it until the 7 release date is known, right?

Not sure Karri. I'm guessing you could skip that. On the other hand when I went from 4 to 5, and 5 to 6, I always had the previous version still installed. You'd just have to keep track of just how big the version leap is. I think with 6.0.x to 6.5.x the leap is big enough that it installs as a new application rather than updating the previous. So you're not "erasing" your previous installation by upgrading to 6.5 and installing it, know what I mean?

But check on the forum though to be sure. Right now I'm guessing they won't release v7 until end of May at the very earliest, though my guess would be June sometime. I think for the last version the "free update" window was about 6 weeks. So I think I'll wait until the middle of May to see what news there are on v7 and if it seems to be on track and sources hint at June then I'll buy 6.5 last week of May... or something like that.

Confirming that 6.5 is a new install, and you can leave 6.0 in place. In fact, I always keep the prior version when upgrading... and versions before that as zips. Drive space is cheap, and no new release -- not Steiny's, not Avid's, not Microsoft's or Apple's -- is guaranteed bug-free.