Nuendo 7

ramallo

How much translatability to/from PT does your work require, how often and with who? How deep does the compato have to be? Cuts only? Cuts+clip levels? Dubstage mixers are usually very uninterested in having incoming projects be much more worked over than that.

philp

It has to be comletely seemless, even if it is just clip level, cuts and crossfades.

Track names HAVE to be the same as what I have in my session, so everything ends up in the right spot.

The first time it causes a problem, I wouldnt allow that person to deliver me anything but a Pro-Tools session.

If they cant do that, I wouldn't hire them again.

It has to be comletely seemless, even if it is just clip level, cuts and crossfades.

Track names HAVE to be the same as what I have in my session, so everything ends up in the right spot.

The first time it causes a problem, I wouldnt allow that person to deliver me anything but a Pro-Tools session.

If they cant do that, I wouldn't hire them again.

Yeah I know that the USA west coast dubstage thing pretty much requires you show up with a PT session.  My question, as per usual in these discussions, is whether or not that is something the OP actually needs to do.  The interchange being cast in stone (as in ossified) in the workflow of those stages is pretty much the only compelling reason to have to drink the Avid Kool-Aid, unless you just plain like the app better than others.

philp

Not sure Karri. I'm guessing you could skip that. On the other hand when I went from 4 to 5, and 5 to 6, I always had the previous version still installed. You'd just have to keep track of just how big the version leap is. I think with 6.0.x to 6.5.x the leap is big enough that it installs as a new application rather than updating the previous. So you're not "erasing" your previous installation by upgrading to 6.5 and installing it, know what I mean?

I don't really mean it as in relation to any install procedures, I merely mean it as a means of getting an update from 5.5 to 7 as cheaply as possible, judging from current pricing. There's quite a leap from N4->N6.5 upgrade compared to N5->N6.5 so one would think a N5->N7 upgrade will eventually be more expensive than a N5->N6.5 upgrade that activated at the right time will sail you through to the grace period. And if I order a physical copy of the 6.5 upgrade now, I'll just wait on activating it till 7 is released or a few days before, so I'm golden.

Timo wrote this week that end of Q2 was looking good for version 7, with more info at the end of this month. I'd personally wait until late May at the earliest to get 6.5 then. Someone was told July at NAB, but that might be even less "official" (and could be for Nuage 1.7 actually).

I think the biggest thing is the integration with Audiokinetic Wwise for the game audio people. Pro Tools may have the film and TV post-production side on lockdown as most studios use it to transfer sessions back and forth, but the game audio side is still evolving, and deep integration within Wwise could become very favorable to game studios that primarily work together in a team environment under one roof.

I'd be interested to see the preview when it comes out!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...