Comtek PR-216 Question

BAB414

Hello,

A slight concern about these comteks, I'm hoping there's an easy answer. Upon powering down my cart, including either my base station or M-216 transmitter, any Comteks still on emit very loud, sustained white noise (pilot tone?). Has anyone else experienced this? I've blasted the crew once or twice now with this horrific noise and was surprised that this was the case. Otherwise, the comteks work great.

Thanks,

Ben

It depends on where you are.....   some locations this will not happen, depending on what channel your on..but, some places when powering down, you will hear noise...  It varies from place to place...

I would say more often than not... it will not happen... Change your channel and see.... 

Must be interference on the particular channel you're using relative to the environment your shooting in or other gear in your kit, as three PR-216 option p7 transmitters and a BST 75 transmitter as well as the many PR 216 receivers I've got haven never "broken squelch" in so many years I've owned and used them.  I've regularly used channel  4 4  (both pots turned to four) and always had reliable IFB.

Are there any video transmitters nearby? - I had this issue with a Teradek Bolt on the camera - it would open the squelch on the Comtek.  But I found that some receivers are more sensitive than others, as well - I had one that would always open up- I made sure that one wasn't ever given to the director, and was always given to the last person in the comtek line with a warning... 

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Hey guys, great suggestions.

AFMY & Jason - It's happened in various locations...I'll try re-freqing. I'm currently on channel 60 in NY, which I know is somewhat popular, as is 44.

RPSharman - Great idea! Will do.

Brent - Yes. 3 Video Transmitters at least, but I don't think they're Teradeks. Nothing I can do about that unfortunately.

Thanks for the help guys.

I've had this happen a lot here in LA. To the point that I powered my BST-75 (in a bag) recently on a separate source from my receivers so I could turn them off to conserve batteries without blasting all the producers every time I do so. It's often so loud you hear it across set, just a burst of pure noise and an exclamation from whoever forgot to take their headphones off..