Sound Devices 6 Series Sound Reports & iPhone File Transfer Brainstorming.

tincali

Hey All,

I'm looking for a solution to quickly dump a sound report from my 664 to my iPhone so I can email it off quickly at the end of my workdays.  Research so far has led me to WiFi enabled SD cards, WiFi SD card readers and Lightning SD card readers.

Currently I think my best potential solution is the WiFi enabled SD cards.  It is smallest of the solutions.  Most cards seem to have their proprietary apps you have to use to transfer files.  Some, like the Eye Fi brand, only allow you to transfer photos and video from cameras.  Toshiba Flash Air seems to allow all files to be transferred from their SD cards.  Documentation on these products, their specs and transferring functions has not been the easiest to find.

NOTE: I am well aware that these cards are not approved media- they would be used to quickly transfer a sound report from the CF to the WiFi SD then onto my iPhone.  I am not looking to record successfully on said cards.

So before I go blow some $$ on something that may not work, I thought I would ask you wonderfully helpful people here at JWSG:

Has anyone had experience using this solution or these WiFi cards in a Sound Devices mixer for simply transferring files to their iPhone/mobile device?

Does anyone have another solution that they successfully use to get sound reports to their mobile device in the field without lugging around a laptop?

Thanks!

Todd Steinhauer

Note to all recorder manufacturers:

Wifi connections to smart phones (either through a router or throufh an ad hoc network) would be of huge benefit to those of us that work in the field without computers. I just purchased a fuji x100t camera that does just this (for transferring still photos in this case) and it is an amazing feature--as is that it charges on USB!!!

E.

• 1 month later...

I use a device called the iUsb. It creates an adhock wireless network, you connect usb devices to it. In my case I have a CF card reader. At the end of the night I create my report on my 788 or 664. Connect my iPhone to the iUsb device via wifi. Plug the cf card reader with cf card into device, use the app yiu download from the App Store. Mount the cf card download the CSV file and open in MovieSlate. Generate the report and send on down the line. Super quick and works great

• 1 year later...

Hey all, thanks for the ideas and posts to this last year.  I got a little sidetracked with this project, but I did end up buying a Toshiba FlashAir WiFi SD card.  I'm still playing with it, but on the basic level of setting up and transferring it totally works and is consistently successful on my 6 series mixers.  It's best for small files, but I was able to upload a large audio file to my iPhone (via their app) as well.  CSV file is easily editable in Numbers on my iPhone and can send right along pretty quickly.  

I did have some small issues though.  Using the pass-through internet feature on that card, but I need to do more testing.  I hide my wifi's SSID and I think that is giving it problems.  I also had an issue deleting the large audio file I uploaded to the iPhone app.

I'll post an Amazon link and walkthrough of this sometime next month.  It's a little tardy, but thank you all for sharing and brainstorming with me on this.

Best,

Todd Steinhauer

Got this "swiss army" doohickey in September last year:

Kingston 5-in-1 Mobile Companion, Storage, 4640 mAh Charger, Backup and more for iOS and Android (MLWG2)

•    Extend your storage up to 2TB using USB flash drives, SD cards,

•    4640 mAh battery allows you to charge your smartphone

•    Stream movies, listen to music, and view different photos on multiple mobile devices simultaneously

•    Backup photos and videos from your camera roll to free up space

•    Read SD cards and USB flash drives from your mobile device or your PC

•    Create a Wi-Fi hotspot from a wired Internet connection

•    Free Google Play, iOS and Kindle Apps available.

I have used this device to backup SD cards to a USB thumb drive on location with my phone, watched movies on planes (streaming to an iPad). If put up in a hotel with wired ethernet only internet, this thing can be your wifi router.

I got it on Amazon for $30, which I think is amazing for what it does.

Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 11.02.48 AM.png