Petition for A Sound device CL12

pvanstry

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<Im having breakfast sorry about the morning grumps but I was really happy with the thread I started asking for an update that wasn't the 688 it seemed that people were on board with that.  It also seems that us 7 series and 970 series users are due a little attention now...>

Hey Chris!

Oh, morning grumps are easily treated by some vodka taken ~10 hours before... easy... :)

As for your need to get SD to do things, unfortunately, designing and developing a new product takes a lot more than just time and effort but a lot of money as well. You could raise the dust kicking all over with everyone else as you say that were on board with your idea for an update of the 7 series, but then, really - it is up to SD to do what they want to do. They need to make it happen, and they will - i am sure - when they think they are up to it. 

Your analogy of boats, holes, planks, patching does not work for me, at least. 

be well!
-vin

Hello everyone,

I never really feel the need to inject my own opinion into any of these conversations, but I would like to say "+10" (perhaps more) to Jeff's last comment.

I have gone from being amazed, to flabbergasted, to disappointed, to almost disgusted, with reading some of the comments aimed at SD lately.

They have just released yet another amazing product, that *many* highly skilled mixers all over the world are going to use as they go about the day to day challenges of their particular work environments. Sound Devices has given us nothing but excellent tools, product after excellent product. And I know that I thank them for coming up with the brilliant 664 every time that I have to jump in a helicopter, or a small boat, or up a steep donkey trail, or even quickly move between several insert cars.

Isn't the 664 the same tool that the someone just said " should never have been built" or something to that effect?

I personally am also extremely satisfied with my PIX260. Thank you Sound Devices! In fact, thank you to EVERY manufacturer that puts so much time, effort, brain power, and financial risk into helping make our ever changing world of production sound both easier and more reliable.

How a company can be rewarded for their excellent contribution to our profession, by all of the wining and complaining and, yes, almost bullying that I have read here is beyond me. I find it extremely disappointing. To me, it just feels wrong to "petition" for what you want. Perhaps it is better just to "request" it? I'm pretty sure that we can all agree that every manufacturer is doing their very best to meet our needs. That is what their businesses are all about.

My 2¢

Mistyped on Darren's phone.

I'm afraid it's way too late for me to "keep the 664 off my cart"!  The 6xxs are mixer recorders with rotary faders, just like some of us used for years before mixers with linear faders came along--a mixer is a mixer no matter where its working.  I'd venture that many soundies today have to keep their rigs pretty "bagized" since much of the work avail is in that style, and if one is working alone what started as a cart job can turn "bagged" very quickly and without much warning--gotta be ready!  

I'm pretty sure that SD could make a 6-slider box that would take the place of the CL6 if they wanted to, and perhaps some 3rd party techie will try it themselves.  I'd like to hear about it if they do!

philp

I'm afraid it's way too late for me to "keep the 664 off my cart"! The 6xxs are mixer recorders with rotary faders, just like some of us used for years before mixers with linear faders came along--a mixer is a mixer no matter where its working. I'd venture that many soundies today have to keep their rigs pretty "bagized" since much of the work avail is in that style, and if one is working alone what started as a cart job can turn "bagged" very quickly and without much warning--gotta be ready!

I'm pretty sure that SD could make a 6-slider box that would take the place of the CL6 if they wanted to, and perhaps some 3rd party techie will try it themselves. I'd like to hear about it if they do!

philp

+1

This discussion reminds me quite a lot about when the Maxx was announced and immediately people started yelling Zaxnet! If it's not for you then don't use it. SD has clearly stated it won't be releasing a fader thingy for the 688 at this point. They haven't said they won't release one for the PIX tho, which I would think be a more logical use for such a thing.

Darren, outstanding thumb-typing and very well said. The lack of respect and the demanding tone of some of the posts is alarming, coupled with so many of the posts in the past that have declared that "it should be very easy, even trivial" for Sound Devices, Zaxcom, Lectrosonics, etc., etc. to just do what I WANT with their latest product.

I think afewmoreyears nailed it.

Sound devices obviously knows how well the CL8 has sold compared to their other products

and if they thought it was fiscally in their best interest to build a CL12 they would do it.

I think it's safe to say that a company which designed and sold the CL8 would have thought about it

before putting out the 688 and decided it wasn't in their best interest.

The reality is there is a crap ton more bag users out there than cart based guys

and while Sound Devices has given us amazing products for years we can't forget they are a for profit company.

I don't think they can/will accept subway sandwiches as payment.

I'm sure if you offered to buy 5000 of them they would make you any product you wish.

I do think it would be nice if they asked the masses what they wanted in future products a bit more on forums like this

and their own.

I realize they love to surprise us but I think it would be in their own interest to find out what we want/need

and then at least make their decisions with that in mind.

We vote with our money. There is no harm in petitioning - it's how manufactures know what we want. It's how things improve. It's what sparks competition.

If you like the product - buy it. If you don't - complain & buy something else to show your displeasure. It's how the free market works and it's better than any other system out there.

Re: my comment about SD being able to make a slider-equipped CL6: well, a surface that wouldn't have faders for the whole mixer, while possible, would be slightly lame.  SD is pretty good at only doing what it can do really really well and that will work really really well too.  So… prob not re a fader box thing for the 6xxs.  Let the conjecture begin for what comes after 788!  (Does anything really need to?)

philp

We shouldn't feel like SD (or any other company) should provide every bit of gear on our carts. I am happy mixing and matching Zaxcom, Cooper, Lectro and Sound Devices. If SD doesn't have what we want, put a Cooper, Sonosax or Audio Developments on the front end and I am sure anyone would be happy with the results.

It seems pretty clear to me that SD are saying that there is no chance of a fader panel for the 688.

The PIX970, as I understand it, basically has little or no internal mixing, so, a fader panel as such for a PIX isnt really going to work. That said, there are already plenty of perfectly nice sounding mixers available that have Dante cards, so can talk to (and listen to) a PIX recorder. See for example the Allen & Heath GLD series, which are excellent desks.

http://tinyurl.com/lpeoseo

There are plenty of other mixers available that can take a Dante card, but my experience is only with the A&H products.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

• 5 months later...

Just put in a pre-order on a standard CL-12.  I recently put together a bag/cart hybrid around a 688 and a Euro Cart so this is the logical step for me.  The Alaia is very cool and very pretty but after a quick call with SD I found out that it is slightly wider than the standard and just too wide for the PSC Euro Cart shelves which are 14.5".  For anyone interested, the standard comes in just under 14.5" while the Alaia will be just over 15" wide.