Petition for A Sound device CL12

pvanstry

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very exciting product for 6xx owners.  I'm considering pre ordering.   My current cart gear is configured with a 788t & Solice mini as mixer.   Switching to the 688t / cl12 ads 4 more track iso's, more routing flexibility and less power draw .   If the cl12 goes down you can still mix from the rotary knobs in a pinch.  Using another 688 or 633 as you secondary back up recorder seems logical. But I could feed the 788t as back up.  Would of never thought the 788 would take a back seat position to a 6 series recorder though. 😉

Does anyone know about the slate mic/com inputs, would you still lose a channel to them like the 788 when using an external headset mic? 

The 664 and the 688 differ from the 788T in that they both already have dedicated inputs for a slate mic. The 664 has a dedicated COM output and the 688 uses any of Aux 1-4 outputs for COMs. That is why the CL-12 differs from the CL-9 in that the CL-12 does not provide additional inputs and outputs for COM functions.

is it just me or is the headphone volume knob in a weird awkward spot?  almost like it should where the record and stop buttons are and they buttons should be where the headphone knob is

no, it's good this way. On the CL-9, I would sometimes hit either the stop or record button, especially when working with the higher number channels. I put a lid on the stop button, as that is the worse problem, but I definetely prefer to have these buttons within reach, but out of the way. 

I'm absolutely loving this but the one thing I'm questioning is the need for hardware knobs for L/R X1/X2. I might be in the minority but once I have those levels set I rarely need to move them. Would be excellent if they were assignable for things like trim control for 7-10 or a host of other things.

I'm absolutely loving this but the one thing I'm questioning is the need for hardware knobs for L/R X1/X2. I might be in the minority but once I have those levels set I rarely need to move them. Would be excellent if they were assignable for things like trim control for 7-10 or a host of other things.

I imagine software assignment of the trim pots to the existing hardware could be implemented in a future firmware update. I for one would miss having individual trim control.

The lack of trim knobs on the mixer panel is unfortunate. I think they did this for want of compatibility with the 664 which is mostly analog so the trim could not possibly be re-routed to a different physical control. Though I would think the same of the fader... 

Supposedly, if you're using a 688 anyway, the mini faders for 7-12 become trims just like when the CL6 is connected.

Still, if you're mixing a very dynamic scene I can't imagine reaching up to the 688, finding the right trim knob, tweaking, then back down to the fader will be very fast.

We'll see, there are many other great things about this product as far as I can tell.

I doubt the decision to not include trim pots had anything to do with lack of compatibility with 664. Several functions offered with the CL-12 will only work with the 688. 

I think it's an unfortunate mistake to leave trim pots off a mixing panel. Sometimes ultra-secrecy can hurt a product. I'd imagine with a bit of research they'd realize that the target consumer of mixing panels would overwhelmingly agree that trim pots should be there. 

I agree 100%. 

Trims are used all the time... Is the Headphone control a push button encoder also? The rotary trim and pfl/selector on each channel of the cl-9 is so useful and used on most every take... Shame to lose it. When I saw the pictures I assumed the headphone knob would work as 'master' control in conjunction with individual channel selectors...

Chris R - I thought the same... On my cl-9 they are almost a liability... Once set they never need to move and a slight knock or movement can mess things up. I'd rather these items were menu based. After a line-up who adjusts these? A fellow mixer told me recently he uses them to control dynamics on shouts and screams when sending to camera..? I've only done that using the faders...

But I haven't sent anything to camera in a few years...

Just put in a pre-order on a standard CL-12.  I recently put together a bag/cart hybrid around a 688 and a Euro Cart so this is the logical step for me.  The Alaia is very cool and very pretty but after a quick call with SD I found out that it is slightly wider than the standard and just too wide for the PSC Euro Cart shelves which are 14.5".  For anyone interested, the standard comes in just under 14.5" while the Alaia will be just over 15" wide.

according to Sound Devices:

image.thumb.jpg.5ec29c195ee46f8720e18f3f

I really like what all the major manufacturers are producing for our niche industry. One of the things that was really helpful in the original Sonosax SX8 was the integrated slide out shelf. That is where my script pages are pasted for easy reference during filming. I wonder if SD could make an optional set of slightly raised wood (or even aluminum) sides with notches for a slide out plexi lid?

Trims 1-6 are 100% analog and so cannot be controlled via remote interface. 

When the CL-12 is connected, trims 7-12 appear on the mini-faders 7-12.

So, although you don't have the perfect situation of having trims just above the faders on the CL-12, you still have pretty easy direct access to all 12 trims with just a short reach to the 688 front panel.

Paul