Rycote Super Softie for MKH50 and CMC641

RPSharman

So I went by Rycote a few months ago, to look around and to pick up a Super Softie I had asked them to make for my 50.

I finally got some work, and put the Super Softie to work too. It performed really well, so I've asked for another.

They have asked me to see if there's any interest from others for the product. It's somewhere in between the old softie and a BBG, I'd think.

I asked them about this last year and was told they were about to bring something out for MKH50 length of mic Spring of this year, so was waiting...... However talking at BVE seems that there aren't any plans....

so +1 if we can help move along manufacture of supersoftie for this size....

Cameron,  what don't you like about the BBG?  Just curious.  Thanks.

That's what I use on my 50 at the moment. I use it without fur, with fur I find it's too heavy for the rycote invison 6 suspension that I have (probably would work better with the inv-7). Without the fur there is wind noise in very gentle winds, definitely a lot better than just using the foam, but it would be nice to have something like a super shield which I imagine can be kept on all the time (I do mostly doco/reality) and not loose the light weight and finesse of the mic, like I find happens if you use the BBG with fur.

That's what I use on my 50 at the moment. I use it without fur, with fur I find it's too heavy for the rycote invison 6 suspension that I have (probably would work better with the inv-7). Without the fur there is wind noise in very gentle winds, definitely a lot better than just using the foam, but it would be nice to have something like a super shield which I imagine can be kept on all the time (I do mostly doco/reality) and not loose the light weight and finesse of the mic, like I find happens if you use the BBG with fur.

(I use the Invision 6 as well)

Re: "Without the fur there is wind noise in very gentle winds"

Hhhmmm. That's disappointing.  Haven't tried it yet, but I just ordered it online. It was cheaper than B&H, so I could sell it if needed.

With 'very gentle' to moderate wind, would you say that there's more or less wind noise than the original Softie?

267844.jpg     

I havn't used the original softie with the 50 sorry.

I use my 50 for interior shooting and cs3e in WS4 for exterior. I only need extra wind protection for unexpected doco/reality situations which it is very effective for, the wind noise isn't as obtrusive as using foam.

If you want to use the BBG as a proper outdoor solution with a 50 I would use the fur and upgrade to a INV-7 mount, that will cut out wind noise almost as effective as a WS kit.

• 1 month later...

...If you want to use the BBG as a proper outdoor solution with a 50 I would use the fur and upgrade to a INV-7 mount, that will cut out wind noise almost as effective as a WS kit.

Well...I did just that, recently.  (I typically use the 50+BBG with no furry in an INV-6 on a boom pole for indoor interviews, auditions etc. But for use in an outdoor + boom op scenario, the INV-6 was way too flimsy and the bald BBG couldn't quite handle more than no to low wind.)

The INV-7HGMKiii was rock solid and Rycote's Windjammer on the BBG handled the wind just beautifully. 

So far, this seems like an excellent alternative to the WS2 if budget is an issue.

Good to hear:)

Well...I did just that, recently. (I typically use the 50+BBG with no furry in an INV-6 on a boom pole for indoor interviews, auditions etc. But for use in an outdoor + boom op scenario, the INV-6 was way too flimsy and the bald BBG couldn't quite handle more than no to low wind.)

The INV-7HGMKiii was rock solid and Rycote's Windjammer on the BBG handled the wind just beautifully.

So far, this seems like an excellent alternative to the WS2 if budget is an issue.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Guys, I discovered a gem on YouTube. Check out the tests from David Harry.

It's the Movo WST80.  I just bought one... It's less than $20!

I figured I'll just return it for a full refund if it's not effective. BUT IT IS.

There are three elements here that I really like a lot.

1. The cost.

2. The transparency is 2nd to none!

3. Rycote's Windjammer for the BBG fits on it rather nicely if and when the winds pick up ( if you're using the 50 or CMC641 or CMC141 outside.)

I'm selling my BBG!!!  The Movo is more transparent and just as effective.

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 6.20.01 PM.jpg