Recording Error?

Richard Ragon

I've got a small mystery.   I pulled my cart out to do some testing.  I've got a cart gig coming up next month.  I've got a Yamaha 01v96 going to a Pix260i via Daunte.  I hit the record, talk a bit into my slate mic, while listening.. Everything sounds great.  Mix, Boom1, ISOs, all good.

I move my headphone jack to the Pix260i, and listen to the recording..  ALL SOUNDS GREAT.

I take the files, put them in Wave agent to listen... I have these weird static???  WTF??  That doesn't play back that way.  The static is very random, even on the channel where I don't have a mic on??

So.. this is weird..  First guess it's the Pix260i, but it plays the files back perfect??   Can the media be corrupting every take??

Here's a sample..

http://good4sound.com/downloads/Hotel/12-002.wav

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

-Richard

I thought that at first too.. But it plays back perfect??  Checked the Daunte control panel, and everything is green.. no errors on the Daunte logs.  I can go though all of these again.. maybe something got 'off'.

I thought about the media perhaps also.. The card is on the media list.  It's a SanDisc 32G, Extreme Pro; UDMA7; 160MB/s.  I haven't try pulling the media from the SSD, yet. Was going to try that next...

How come I hear nothing while recording, or playback?? Weird!

Thanks all who posted, I'm still troubleshooting.

My first choice is that the Pix has got to be writing bad files when it's 'finalizing'.  I've learned that timing issues, simply cause the recorder not to get any tracks, or no inputs.  I'm not leaving anything out though.  I'll check the other media, and see if that is same.  Whats so weird is that it plays back on the Pix, without any issues.

Double checking because I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but on the Pix which playback source are you listening to? The CF card or the SSD? Have you listened to the files from the hard drive yet? You may have a corrupted card causing the issue when listening on your computer, but not on the SSD which may be your default playback source on the Pix. 

Double checking because I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but on the Pix which playback source are you listening to? The CF card or the SSD? Have you listened to the files from the hard drive yet? You may have a corrupted card causing the issue when listening on your computer, but not on the SSD which may be your default playback source on the Pix. 

Yep. That might be it. 

Yep.. I pulled the SSD drive out, plugged it the FW800, and Guess what.. The Primary drive (SSD) seams to be unaffected.  The primary drive is also the playback drive.  So, the problem is now traced to the secondary drive (CF).  So, it's either the Caddie, or the Media??

This is a weird one!  Thanks everyone!

The Pix and 970 write the files at the same time. So if the files are on the SSD, then you have a corrupted CF card. How old is the card? They do wear out over time. I know you all like to blame DANTE, however this seems to be a media issue. If it records to the internal SSD, and it plays back, how is this related to DANTE??

I don't remember anyone blaming Daunte..   However, if you have sync troubles, it's be my experience, that the whole thing shuts down.  This was something completely different.   However, I did take the time to fire up my Mac, start the Dante controller, and just look at the logs, sync errors, etc.

RLS, The CF card is only 2 months old.  I destroyed my last one.. Small hiccup, my bad.  It wont recover.. Anyone want a free Extreme Pro 32G Sandisk? 

So, continue on my troubleshooting.. I formatted both SSD and CF this morning.. And the errors went away.  Just to be on the safe side I stopped at Trew today, and picked up another brand of CF.   I'm reasonably sure it was an odd thing with the CF card, and NOT the caddie.

Thanks all.