amazing 3D camera

Jeff Wexler

Possibly off topic (but since I started the topic, maybe okay, may be of interest). I attended a hands on demo today of a 3D video camera that has been built using 2 Panasonic HD camcorders. The CCD imaging creates a raw data stream, actually 2 independent but synced data streams that are recorded to 2 highly modified inside the camera Mac Minis. The DV tape transports have been completely removed and all recordings are made of the raw uncompressed data (similar to the much larger and more complex Viper camera) to onboard hard drives. Anyone interested can read more about this at:  http://www.21stcentury3d.com/press/pr-060117-3dvx3.html

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

just too let you know the panasonic DVX100A is not a HD camera, but a SD camera, they are able to achive the 1280x720p resolution by using the two cameras as one.

Not exactly the case. Jason did not say the DVX100A was an HD camera (that is probably my mistake) but the HD spec achieved is not a function of the use of 2 cameras but rather, I believe, it is the aquisition of raw data from the CCD. From their website: "Foregoing tape, a unique direct to disk recording system captures RAW CCD data in 4:4:4 RGB color space at 10 bits per channel, producing remarkably vivid 3D images at up to 1280x720 per eye, 24fps progressive. So, it is HD resolution "PER EYE" (per each camera), yes?

-  JW

Andromina? (sp) is a company that has done basically the same thing, but with 1 cam, so the output is possible from what I've read. 3D sounds wild. Tell us more about the end product...  Is 3D sound in our production future?  Si, Se Pueda( sp?). No Se....?

Adios

El Viejo.