Sony PMW300 timecode problem (with SB-T syncbox)

Luis Rovai

Hey guys, I'm working on a project with 3 cameras (Sony F5, Sony PMW300 and Canon C300), all running at 23,98 / 1080P , locked with 3 Denecke SB-T's.

The SD 664 is the master clock, jamming the SB-T's with 23,98 timecode.

C300 and F5 are holding sync, but the PMW300 is drifting. Even stranger is the fact that it outputs 29,97ND!

Pascal Van Strydonck mentioned a similar problem in this thread below, but I cannot do the same workaround he did, since I'm using 3 cameras.

Does anyone knows what is going on? I assume it's a camera fault.

Thanks!

post-6344-0-83099800-1426800968_thumb.jppost-6344-0-77799800-1426801002_thumb.jp

The specs claim that it will do 23.98, so there shouldn't be a problem:

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-PMW300K1/

Me, I'd question the producer as to why they think shooting with three radically different cameras is a good idea. This is insane from a post point of view, because all three cameras are going to look completely different. 

23.97ND is what many manufacturers call 23.976, since no frame is ever being dropped. There is no drop frame mode available for either 23.976 or 24.000, to my knowledge. Same with 25fps. There is a drop mode for 29.97. God help you if you try to engage drop-frame in 30fps.

I would check the Sony PMW300 manual and find out how to do a continuous slave/jam from an external source. And tell the producers from me to just use three identical cameras. The F5 is actually not a bad camera, and I would lean more towards that than I would the C300. The more-costly Canon C500 is better. 

Putting a small receiver like ERX2TCD or G3 as a audio reference, and ask post to sync this cam with wave form. If there is no solution on the TC issue. 

OR just send the TC signal to one of the audio channel, and ask post to get a TC wave reader since they don't mind cutting with three different camera. They should not be to get a TC plug ;)

Me, I'd question the producer as to why they think shooting with three radically different cameras is a good idea. This is insane from a post point of view, because all three cameras are going to look completely different. 

Though I totally agree that 3 identical cameras would provide a much more streamlined workflow, that's what they've got in the house and thats what we're using... But if the manufacturer (Sony, in that case) states that the camera can be locked from external sync, I think it must do it properly  >:(

Putting a small receiver like ERX2TCD or G3 as a audio reference, and ask post to sync this cam with wave form. If there is no solution on the TC issue. 

OR just send the TC signal to one of the audio channel, and ask post to get a TC wave reader since they don't mind cutting with three different camera. They should not be to get a TC plug ;)

All 3 cams have shotgun + g3 audio hop for reference, but syncing by waveforms is slowing things down, both in production (slate) and in post.

We're going to do another test, this time running at 29,97ND, which might work. If it doesn't, sending TC over audio may be another option. 

Thanks for the anwsers!  8)

Changing the video output format will change the timecode output as well. There's an (electronically pulled down) 59.94i with electronic pulldown to 23.98 or 23.98PsF output selectable via menu. If you're set up to record real 23.98 video, feeding the camera 23.98 code (23.976, rounded up to 2 decimal places) is right. All the various settings for I/O are in the manual, pages 90ish to 102 or so. There is a 23.98P setting which is electronically pulled down from 29.97 and if that's the case, the system is running at 29.97FPS.

Is your drift a drift or a 4 frame offset as shown in your pictures? There's a lot going on to do the electronic pulldown and 4 frames seems not unreasonable for the camera processing to take place if it's really running at 23.98P in the 59.94 world.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim, that is very valuable information, thanks. Seems like the camera video output and the Denecke genlock signal were not properly set.

Manual says that when shooting 23,98P you've got to set the video output to 23,98PsF (instead of 59.94i pull-down) and genlock it with 1080PsF video signal (instead of 1080P)

Gonna test it and post the feedback.

BTW, the drift is really a drift ;)