New Zaxcom Products announced!

Matt Martin

Why not? It could mean constant improvements and addition of features. What I'm saying, better that than it just stays in 1.00 for four years.

I agree.

Zaxcom listens to all user feedback and will add features and improve functionality based on users requests. It is not uncommon for someone to report a software bug or request a new feature and have a new version of software a few hours later.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vas seems like an intelligent young man with some innovative and very strong ideas for the future. Something most of us value about ourselves.

I can understand his and others frustration with Zaxcom, I have felt some of them. That said all new equip that is basically software based will have issues. Hardware issues are less acceptable but alas must be accepted as a possibility in new products by any company.

As a 40 year old, who would rather carve shit in stone, this new world scares me, but I've  learnt to embrace it and I look forward to the craziness ahead. 

All my "look like negative comments" is in a good way for all manufacturers, not in a bad way. I don't have problems with one of them, but if all the time manufacturers hear "good critics" nothing will drive them to the limits. I am not passionate or fall in love with any hardware/software realeases, because I like the word "impartial".

I have to say sorry here if my comment offend someone or a manufacturer.

Bright and sunny day!

Lets play with the bees!

:)

I'm 41 and I LOVE how gear evolves as you own it. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of features being added along the way. I've seen plenty of those with my Fusion and Nomad. Things that were never intended to be part of the machine, but were added based on user suggestions and real world uses. Even little things, in addition to squashing software bugs. The reality of the world is software bugs will happen. I just got a letter than my 2015 car needs a software update on the power train control module. That's a software bug, but it'll get flashed and everything will be fine. 

I'm guessing Vas is wanting all features active and working on the shipping product. The only thing I can say is to make sure you buy something when the features you need are working. I knew what was working in my Nomad when I bought it and it was awesome on day one. It made my bag a heck of a lot smaller and lighter, and did what I needed. Everything else that came out along the way was a bonus... and will get even better this year. 

Even the more modern analog mixers have digital controls and therefore firmware revisions. Years ago when i got a 442 I called Sound Devices and they looked up the serial number and told me what the difference was between mine and the (then) current model, including what the differences in the newer firmware. People don't think about it, but that analog mixer changed over the years. People usually only sent it in when it was broken, not just for a software update (since you can't do them at home). 

Maxx is fine, but Nomad calibration is a pain. I had an input 40db hotter then normal.

That doesn't sound right. Calibration really never needs to be done - especially if it was already calibrated. Nomad should not ever loose calabration under normal circumstances. And the calibration is there to just do a fine alignment of 1 or 2 dB. If your input is 40dB off there is something else going on.

That doesn't sound right. Calibration really never needs to be done - especially if it was already calibrated. Nomad should not every loose calabration under normal circumstances. And the calibration is there to just do a fine alignment of 1 or 2 dB. If your input is 40dB off there is something else going on.

Jack, this has been the case from the very beginning. I don't use analog inputs very often so it has not bothered me as much.

what is the timecode issue? exactly please

I believe that what they want is a timecode generator that is more accurate than 1.54ppm. There are a lot of timecode / sync boxes out in the market that can do at least 0.5ppm, with the leading manufacturer, Ambient, being able to do 0.1ppm.

There's also been reports with timecode being off a frame or two when powered off for longer periods of time (1 hour plus?), but they have mostly been due to the coin battery for the TC generator in the recorder not sitting in properly or the battery itself being replacement.

Just guessing, but I think maybe some of the buttons will be user assignable? So that would mean the buttons can do any thing you ask of it.

I think the oasis looks great. I wish it was just a stand alone mixer, with neverclip preamps and not a control surface for a nomad. It just looks that good and well thought out. Or it could be both!

Just guessing, but I think maybe some of the buttons will be user assignable? So that would mean the buttons can do any thing you ask of it.

I think the oasis looks great. I wish it was just a stand alone mixer, with neverclip preamps and not a control surface for a nomad. It just looks that good and well thought out. Or it could be both!

Very interesting idea Olle, user assignable with the kind of flexibility to incorporate phase reverse would be great, and yet another first credit for Zaxcom. :)

The FP8 has one user assignable button with a specific set of assignments (not phase reverse), but very useful nevertheless.

Making the Oasis standalone would make it much more expensive and larger I'd guess, as it would have to contain a lot of the guts of the Nomad, XLR inputs and outputs etc.

Do you have a Nomad?