windshield kit for an oktava mk-012 stereo pair

cinetj

I use my mk-012 oktavas for xy and ortf stereo recordings for some time now. Handling noise and wind were always a problem using only rycote softies with no windshield or a connbox.

I finally decided to solve this issue but couldn't really find anything at rycote's website that fitted my needs. Their windshield kits are mostly for M/S rigs and regarding XY and ORTF setups, they only seem to work with smaller capsules like schoeps ccm or sennheiser's 8000 series.

Anyone using oktavas for this kind of stereo recording have found a suitable windshield/shockmount solution?

Use a larger diameter zep (like the MS one) and mount them like this:

http://www.oktava-shop.com/Microphone-accessories/SM-MSR-shock-mount-for-two-mics.html

Do you use this? Still, I would still have to get the articulated preamp for doing xy and ortf as shown on these pictures. Couldn't even find one to sell on the oktava's online shop.

I rather think of these pics as food for thought - Oktava has a few interesting concepts that can be refined to work properly...

In those pics, there are two main points to be improved: You'd use a better suspension that takes up less space, and I think the distance between both mic bodies is too large.

With Rycote stuff, I'm thinking lyres and a "backpack clamp" to mount the second mic onto the first one.

There is no "articulated preamp", but a swivel connector just like the Schoeps GVC. It's passive and, like all Oktava, quite cheap.

There is also a remote capsule version (MK-012 mini) with which you'd mount the bodies outside the blimp.

The shock mount above should fit inside the old school Rycote windshield for a Schoeps MS pair. You'll have to pay for custom fabrication to get that shock mount adapted to the available Rycote hardware. Unless you have a machinist friend, be sitting down when you get the bill.

The capsule alignment in the mount shown in the first image Mr. Panfeld posted is far from the ideal of coincident placement.

Best regards,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I rather think of these pics as food for thought - Oktava has a few interesting concepts that can be refined to work properly...

In those pics, there are two main points to be improved: You'd use a better suspension that takes up less space, and I think the distance between both mic bodies is too large.

With Rycote stuff, I'm thinking lyres and a "backpack clamp" to mount the second mic onto the first one.

There is no "articulated preamp", but a swivel connector just like the Schoeps GVC. It's passive and, like all Oktava, quite cheap.

There is also a remote capsule version (MK-012 mini) with which you'd mount the bodies outside the blimp.

Hi, Peter

Thank you for the input. I think that the oktavas with the swivel could really work with a WS AC MS kit from Rycote.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use my mk-012's in ortf and xy in a Rode Blimp. I bought the swivels for the mics, stereo round Rycote clips and smaller rubber bands for the suspension and it fit and worked pretty well. I think handling noise and wind sensitivity will always be an issue with these mics though.