Fusion 10 finger trouble

Malcolm Davies Amps CAS

I've just acquired a Fusion 10 and I'm suffering from some page 1 finger trouble!

1. Inserted 8 Gb cf card in mirror slot, formatted it but screen says unrecognised media. The 64Gb card in main slot says ready but back up won't mirror.

Of course being weekend can't get any answers from dealer or Zax.

Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong please.

Geoff, tried all that. What is puzzling is that the mirror card appears to format but after format complete comes up on the screen

I get the unrecognised media message. Incidentally formatting a new card seems to take an eternity even in the primary slot &

Just out of curiosity after I got your reply I looked in the book but there is no mention of whether it's possible to do a hot swop.

Malcolm: I was told you can pull a mirror card as long as mirroring is off.

Try formatting the trouble card with a computer, and then the Fusion.

Offhand I ran into cards that the fusion didn't like, but there was some indication in boot that it was a problem. That was years ago, so I forget what exactly it said. I stuck to brands that I knew worked and had about five pairs to rotate.

Also visually check your card slot and make sure there isn't a bent pin. It's always possible the card is bad. I did have one transcend card start going bad on me so instead of taking chances I tossed it.

Malcoim,

Many cards come factory fresh with either installed (and sometimes write-protected) partitions or applications installed or may not be properly formatted. I've had trouble with new media as a result and so has my wife with her DSLRs. Reformatting on a computer solved the problem in all instances,

Best regards,

Jim

What brand cards? I use Transcend, Kingston, Sandisc and even a Lexar in my Fusion, But usually stuck with Transcend and Kingston. I've used 8, 16 and 32GB in my Fusion.
I remember once having a card that didn't work right in some recorder, and formatting it with my computer (Macintosh), and then formatting it in the device made it work. I don't know why, and maybe it was just a coincidence, but it seemed to make everything fine. I can't remember if that was with my fusion or something else though.
I do remember reading that computers format cards differently than our recorders so it might overrate some weird directory or something.
once I did buy a no-name (computer store house brand) CompactFlash card that gave me some bizarre errors on boot so I returned it instead of messing around.
I don't think the Fusion software got as hammered out as the nomad, so that might be why some cards are just not happy in a fusion. I might be completely wrong there though.

I'm pretty sure it is a formatting issue (or bad media, counterfeit or defective CF card). All the Zaxcom recorders are fairly forgiving of a wider variety of cards from most of the common suppliers. Here is another thing to try: if you successfully formatted your primary card, try formatting the card you wish to use for mirror card in the primary slot. If that produces a successful format, try and use the card then in the mirror slot. 

Did you recently buy the Fusion used from an individual or a dealer? Maybe you could appeal to them to get you a set of CF cards that are known to have worked in the machine, then you would be able to rule out whether the Fusion has a problem or not.

Malcolm,

Sadly, I had this exact situation happen to my Fusion 10. Tried all of the suggested solutions. Bafflingly, the "unrecognized" disc would occasionally mount and work perfectly. Then other times, it would not. Zaxcom was very helpful, and made all of the suggestions others here have made. Ultimately, a new mirror drive was the answer. It's worked perfectly ever since. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I fear this may be the answer to your problem.

Best regards, Moe

My suggestion is to try other cards. You are going to want more than 2 anyway. 

When doing narrative, i liked to rotate pairs of cards till I knew that they were copied by the media manager, and me. Sometime handing them a card at wrap (after I made myself a backup) meant I didn't get it till sometime the next day while we were already shooting. 

Just for peace of mind I got the little Pelican CF holders and had pairs of "Primary A & Mirror A", "Primary B & Mirror B" and so on. 

Zaxcom! Yeah!

removed in 3....2....1....

I won't even give you the satisfaction. You know why I removed your previous post. If you are not going to offer up anything useful to Malcom then refrain from posting. Others here have been helpful in solving a problem, why can't you?

Johnpaul,

I have cards coming out of my ears but I will persevere and try several more.

Jeff. I have tried using the primary drive but after formatting which seems to take an eternity with any size of card and in either drive I'm getting the message Unrecognised formatting. Thanks to all for the help so far..

Hi Malcom,

I have been working with Fusion 10 for more than 5 years, main recorder .

Please check the Primary should be 32( or16) GB but must be 133x speed !!!as per mirror CF you can try any CF Transcend , Delkin, 8, 16,32,64

at higher speeds, that will not change the speed of mirroring. Fusion 10 will not accept any higher speed for Primary Card due to the speed of DSP board of the Fusion as well as all Deva family products. Further more you cannot swamp primary with mirror.

Please try to use a new mirror card , FAT 32 format on the recorder, and see .

The only issues I have had so far were with the mirror cards due to our DIT transfer guys.

I am pretty sure you will be fine once checking all this facts, as well if you reboot the machine will reboot with firewire on , so restart with the internal disc( CF card primary).

Best regards,

VP

Since you're trying to sort things out, I recommend the following, which echoes a lot of what others have said:

Use Zaxcom recommended cards (Transcend or SanDisk). ALWAYS purchase your cards from a proper dealer. NEVER buy cards over eBay unless you're the kind of person who draws satisfaction from walking down the middle of a busy thoroughfare blindfolded during rush hour.

133s work great, but I regularly use higher than 133 speed Transcend cards in both a Deva and a Nomad with complete success. Typically, in both machines, my main card is 64 GB and the mirror card is 32 GB, but I've also recorded on other sizes with no issues.

While most brands, and speeds, of cards will now work in Zaxcom recorders, why introduce an unnecessary variable unless you're one of the aforementioned street walkers.

Prior to first use, format each card (FAT32) in a computer, then in the machine.

I have no idea what you consider "an eternity" but formatting a main card requires a couple of minutes, or so. It may seem like "an eternity" if you're staring at the machine tapping your foot impatiently, but it's no time at all if you go grab a cup of coffee.

If the main card format is successful, the machine will tell you so, and instruct you to power cycle.

If you continuously mirror as you record, speed's not usually an issue. If you mirror after the fact, it's rather slow, and you'll find it much quicker on a computer using ZaxConvert.

Do your main card formatting first, then the mirror card. As formatted, they are certainly not interchangeable.

Take a deep breath and proceed with renewed confidence.

Hey Malcolm -

It sounded like you have a few 8gb Sandisks? If so, try one of them as a mirror.. If it works, then you know it's a formatting or media problem on the Delkin, if not it may indicate other problems. I've used factory Sandisks in my fusion all the time and no formatting issues.

Might be another clue for you at least... Hope you're up and running soon.

There has been a small step forward. After formatting a card (8Gb) in the mirror slot, the card mounts but still displays the message "Unrecognised formatting". If I then go on to mirror onto the card it records perfectly.

VP has said that 32Gb is the largest that should be used in the primary slot and as the Delkin is 64 this could well be the problem.

At the start of this thread I said it was page 1 finger trouble so I think that I'm now heading in the right direction although the Zax manual could be a little clearer and I'm very grateful for all the suggestions that everyone have put forward.

Hi Malcom,

just a quick note to my previous , the primary CF should be 133x speed ( 32, 64 GB) but mirror CF , can be any speed higher than primary, remember the mirroring by Fusion 10 is always done at Fusion speed, you will find that in the manual, but we normally  go higher for the transfers/ post . The software of the machine and the DSP were put together few good years back !

I am pretty sure you will gain full functions of your Fusion 10 very quickly once you go through this small set back.

Cheers,

Val Pricop- Production Mixer, IATSE 873

For quite some time the primary drives on both my Deva and Nomad have been purring along splendidly using 64GB 400x Transcend CF cards.

I certainly concur, firmware version is important.

I'm currently using:

Deva firmware -- vers. 7.56 (Deva & Fusion use the same firmware, and at the heart of it, are the same basic machine) This is the version you should be using.

Nomad firmware -- vers. 7.27