Tascam DR10 mini recorder in use

Philip Perkins

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried to find them up here with no luck so far. If you find someone, please let me know.

Probably stepping over the line with this info:

TASCAM products for Canada ship out of the same Los Angeles Warehouse as the rest of the Americas, so any restriction on import to the USA will affect Canada as well, sorry.

How hard would it be to get one of the ones with a different connector and replace it with the desired connector?

I think using the Sennheiser (TRS) version instead of the TA5f is really a non issue. It is just about getting one adapter cable, which is whatever connector your lavs are terminated with to TRS. Whether the DR10s output connector is TA5 or TRS or whatever else doesn't make a difference because you will have to make a custom cable to connect it to your Tx anyways. So I wouldn't worry about replacing connectors.

To answer some questions.  Zaxcom could file what is known as a 337 case, against imports (or attempted imports) of the infringing item, notwithstanding its current suit in the NJ Federal District court.  A 337 case is filed with the ITC, the result would be an order to Customs to stop/seize any entries.

Not sure whether the Tascam warehouse is a bonded warehouse.  If so, transshipment to Canada is not an issue, because it never would enter the Customs territory of the US, even though it may be physically located here.  If its not a bonded warehouse, Tascam could enter it under a TIB (Transit In Bond), such that it may physically traverse the US, on its way to Canada.  Neither would be affected by Zaxcom's infringement actions.

I have purchased one which is still to arrive fron the UK from these guys.

http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/tascam_dr-10cs.htm

The removeable top plates shown have me thinking about changing the connectors too, but I thought I would start out with adapter cables.

I will consult with my engineer when it arrives, but for occassional use, I think adapters will work for me too.

I spoke with the manager at some length by phone, and found him to be very approachable, and friendly.

Totally nailed it.  Which makes me wonder, if I said: Hey, if you were living outside the United States, couldn't you just take a {Hypothetical} splitter that takes a TA5 split to an XLR and another TA5, and plugged the XLR into the Tascam DRX and the TA5 to.........a device that supplies 3-5 volts." would Zaxcom sue me?

to be an obsession by some to pass judgment on a legal situation for which they know little, and for which they have even less need to know.

It smacks of someone who has an axe to grind, and is desperate to find a grindstone.

I much prefer a fruitful discussion.

"you are talking to me?Since there is nobody else around,you must be talking to me."(Travis Bickle in 'Taxi driver')

Thanks Jon for your reassurance.

Rodney has been really great to deal with, which is very helpful when located on the opposite side of the planet!

My unit arrived yesterday, very quick delivery, and at a very reasonable freight cost.

I won't have a chance to test it until early next week, when I pick up my adapter cables, but I am looking forward to posting my findings.

I picked up my adapter cables today, and within 10 minutes I had formatted a card and recorded my first track on the recorder.

As the other guys indicated, operation is truly intuiative, and I am happy to confirm that the Sennheiser connector model works perfectly well in conjunction with COS11 and Lectro SM, by using simple TA5 to TRS adapter cables.

In my opinion the Tascam DR10 is a really useful piece of kit. It is great value for money, and is just incredibly cute!

For those of you following the Zaxcom case against TEAC (Tascam over the DR10-xx, it appears that a deal has been reached. Zaxcom voluntarily withdrew the case on April 9th, and the Judge dismissed the case on the 10th. I am very interested to know whether Tascam will be able to sell these in the US now. Anybody?

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/5075038/ZAXCOM,_INC_v_TEAC_AMERICA,_INC