Tascam DR10 mini recorder in use

Philip Perkins

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, Tom, this is what I have been trying to explain to those who really have almost no understanding of the situation, of patent law, etc. I don't pretend to be an expert by any means but I'm smart enough to know that most all of the talk here is ill-informed, speculative, counter-productive and often driven by other agendas (like trying to put the finger on the "bad guy".

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Do we know when the patent was granted? As then it is easy to figure out!

I'm really looking forward to this stupid patent expiring :)

I'm looking forward to the stupid comments going away and everyone getting an education on patent law, invention and innovation, and support for companies that develop the amazing tools we use. 

My stupid comment is: if Tascam did a redesign and added in phantom power and enough plug length to get into the xlr connectors (regardless of location, side or bottom) of the top boom pole brands I'd buy it in a second. I keep checking out the DR 10 but even at the price point I am not thrilled about cabling it or plugging it directly into a Denecke PS 1--yet.

36 minutes ago, Gerard-NYNY said:

My stupid comment is: if Tascam did a redesign and added in phantom power and enough plug length to get into the xlr connectors (regardless of location, side or bottom) of the top boom pole brands I'd buy it in a second. I keep checking out the DR 10 but even at the price point I am not thrilled about cabling it or plugging it directly into a Denecke PS 1--yet.

+1

And perhaps they could do 1 with an 'unusual' 6 pin connector, so I/P and O/P could be done with a 'Y' lead and people, independently make the leads they need to use them how they want (so long as no one mentions wireless in the marketing:-)

Phantom power from a single AAA?   That's pushing the power limits too far I think, you wouldn't like the resulting run-time.

As for the XLR plug depth, I'm surprised it doesn't fit with the tightening ring fully backed off.  You can remove the ring as well, that would give you extra reach, but you'd need to use some sugru or similar to snug it up again.

Maybe the pole manufacturers also need to look into the need for a Y split built in, for Tx and recorder?

11 minutes ago, Tom Duffy said:

Phantom power from a single AAA?   That's pushing the power limits too far I think, you wouldn't like the resulting run-time.

As for the XLR plug depth, I'm surprised it doesn't fit with the tightening ring fully backed off.  You can remove the ring as well, that would give you extra reach, but you'd need to use some sugru or similar to snug it up again.

Maybe the pole manufacturers also need to look into the need for a Y split built in, for Tx and recorder?

You can get some poles cabled with a 5 pin xlr stereo cable. You could then split it out at each end of the pole as needed. 

41 minutes ago, Tom Duffy said:

My use the 'Y' maybe didn't describe quite what i meant it to. I was thinking instead of a recording device with separate i/p and o/p connectors (associated with other types of products) a new recorder would just have a single breakout connector for both i/p and o/p and users get the other ends wired as they need. A don't see how how a passive 'Y' cable integrated into a boom would be able to do the same thing, not without loss of signal. Btw Fostex had a phantom power micpre (ar501) powered by a single aa which had a balanced xlr o/p and an unbalanced 3.5mm o/p, it has been discontinued strangely.

While the DR-10C can power a lav mic, that's a few volts @ microamps, enough to bias the capsule and power a single FET transistor (that is working as a impedence buffer, not an amplifier), the DR-10X XLR version would need to supply at least 10mA at 48V, because those mics nearly always have active amplifier stages in them.   That's what is beyond the range of a AAA's capacity, on top of the recorder itself.

Passive Y in this case is sufficient for microphone splitting to Tx and recorder, with either the Tx or recorder supplying 48V phantom power - that's a trick that's done all the time at concerts where one mic is feeding both Front-of-House and Monitoring mixers.

Also, here's the DR-10X on a K-tek boom.  If there are booms that physically won't accept the DR-10X, we'd like to know, we'll be at NAB to try them out as well.

dr10x_boom.JPG

3 hours ago, daniel said:

I was thinking instead of a recording device with separate i/p and o/p connectors (associated with other types of products) a new recorder would just have a single breakout connector for both i/p and o/p and users get the other ends wired as they need.

While I'm deliberately ignoring this sentence, note that it is, unfortunately, the combination of wording that triggers the "is it covered by the patent" sniff test.

17 hours ago, Tom Duffy said:

While the DR-10C can power a lav mic, that's a few volts @ microamps, enough to bias the capsule and power a single FET transistor (that is working as a impedence buffer, not an amplifier), the DR-10X XLR version would need to supply at least 10mA at 48V, because those mics nearly always have active amplifier stages in them.   That's what is beyond the range of a AAA's capacity, on top of the recorder itself.

Passive Y in this case is sufficient for microphone splitting to Tx and recorder, with either the Tx or recorder supplying 48V phantom power - that's a trick that's done all the time at concerts where one mic is feeding both Front-of-House and Monitoring mixers.

Also, here's the DR-10X on a K-tek boom.  If there are booms that physically won't accept the DR-10X, we'd like to know, we'll be at NAB to try them out as well.

dr10x_boom.JPG

While I'm deliberately ignoring this sentence, note that it is, unfortunately, the combination of wording that triggers the "is it covered by the patent" sniff test.

Out of curiosity is it "the combination of" my "wording that triggers the "is it covered by the patent" sniff test"?

How about a new 1 with 2 track recording a lithium battery and usb powering (like the fostex ar501), bracketing and line i/p as an option and display on a thin edge for folks to plug the remaining bag mixers into? Hehe, i'm joking of course, I'm neither a designer, a marketer (or that funny probably), just twiddling my thumbs and using up some bandwidth ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2016 at 6:01 AM, Tom Duffy said:

That would be lovely!

On 3/30/2016 at 9:53 AM, Tom Duffy said:

What about using a Sony NP-F10 battery?  NP-F are very commonplace, and easy enough to find plenty for cheap via 3rd parties. 

Rode is using it inside their TX. 

rode xlr 1443197947000_IMG_537633.jpg

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1187382-REG/rode_tx_xlr_xlr_wireless_transmitter.html

• 1 year later...

Can't afford wireless? (as anything below a G3/UWP-D11 is junk) Don't care if you can't monitor your audio??? :-o (straight to audio hell you go!)

Then boy oh boy does B&H have an end of year deal for you, the Tascam DR10L is once again going for only US$139:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1331924-REG/tascam_dr_10lw_dr_10l_mini_portabl_recorder.html