RED Weapon - Red's new body

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYWiv_55kvE

It looks like they changed the whole fan path, finger crossed it will be better. The sound inputs will be made with different modules. From the Tyniest one (stereo minijack) to full XLRs. Prores internal recording is also poken and Vista vision (as an option?).

More infos

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?130607-Announcing-Weapon-6K-Carbon-Fiber

-Better thermal management, Lower fan noise with no front fans and more stable operating temperature
- Interchangeable and removable I/O options with accessible port placement.
- Integrated dual digital front microphones

And an option for the audio part:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?130600-Announcing-REDVOLT-EXPANDER-for-Weapon

The Red Weapon, in its bare bone body, will feature no audio or TC inputs. It will have two internal mics for scratch track.

If you wish to get any I/O, the camera will require one of two backplates.

The standard backplate, pictured below, has one 3.5mm stereo mic input and one 4-pin lemo sync (with TC) input.

post-8621-14291941366446.jpg

The "pro" backplate, pictured below, features two XLR inputs (the Red representative I spoke with did not know if they were mic / line switchable), one 5-pin lemo for TC, and one BNC for Genlock.

post-8621-14291942576544.jpg

Why they couldn't stick with the same connector for TC between backplates? I couldn't tell you, and the world may never know...

Why they couldn't stick with the same connector for TC between backplates? I couldn't tell you, and the world may never know...

1. Size

2. Sync port is not a timecode port. It is a port that happens to have a timecode input on one pin, genlock on another, and a general io on the third.

1. Size

2. Sync port is not a timecode port. It is a port that happens to have a timecode input on one pin, genlock on another, and a general io on the third.

I'm aware of the Sync port and its pin out, regardless, it just makes it inconvenient having to have different cables for the same camera...

yea, thats pretty stupid of them to switch connectors on the 2 different backs. so now we have to face scenarios like this:

producer or DP: "hey sound guy, we're shooting on the red weapon! how awesome!"

sound: "do you know which back the camera has? the one with xlr's or the one without?"

producer or DP: "we don't know yet till we pick it up from the rental house, the PA is picking it up, i'll have him text you the morning of"

sound: face to palm.

so now, we need another damn cable set...

RED really doesn't like being a team player.

A couple RED Dragon-owning friends are both planning on passing on Weapon; they thought the upgrade price was too much for what the camera delivers (and these guys are good pros, not "Dude! I bought a RED instead of a Harley!"guys...they both plan to wait for the larger sensor slated for, um, later....they're both more interested in the sensor's bigger size (they feel they have enough Ks). Apparently you can skip Weapon without getting kicked off the RED upgrade train.

I don't know how many people will take that view.

I'm thinking that since the four pin only received TC, they had to go with a real 5 pin plug to the camera so it can now feed out time code. The Pro back has both in/out TC now. This doesn't bother me because I already have both cables. If you are on a Red shoot, bring everything.

Scott.

A lot of FUD here... Get the right info please.

Weapon is the only RED camera you will want on set, I bet you.

https://vimeo.com/124984144

And from our friends at REDUSER.net

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?130699-Observations&p=1499190&viewfull=1#post1499190

I've shot with enough Reds to know I'd rather have an Arri on set.

A couple RED Dragon-owning friends are both planning on passing on Weapon; they thought the upgrade price was too much for what the camera delivers...

There are several hundred people complaining on the Red User group that the upgrade price is too high. My observation is: "who the F really needs to shoot 8K anyway?" I think 5K is useful simply because you can reframe it and still deliver 4K, but there is a point of vanishing returns.

The new Weapon camera is said to have greater dynamic range (wider exposure), and that to me is the really important part. But there's no sex appeal in that -- they want to sell the K, which to me might be the least important thing. The second most important thing is "convenience for post," and they're finally doing that by providing instant recording to Red files and to ProRes, so you can immediately take those files and edit them without delay. Heck, you could throw the show on the air an hour later if it was a short piece. They've never been able to do this before, and Alexa has had it from day 1.

I've shot with enough Reds to know I'd rather have an Arri on set.

I'd have to say, I've worked with so much Red footage in post, I can spot it before they tell me what camera was used to shoot the project. It has a certain look to it. My gut feeling is that I prefer the look of Alexa, but both can look good assuming it was shot by a great DP.

Great name ... O I can see it now, DP talking about cam with some crew, hey we have the RED Weapon for this job! Flight attendant overhears chat, tells air marshal I think they are planing something with some type of weapon, we know what happens next ...

Sir could you please drop the peanuts and come with me :-)