RED Weapon - Red's new body

My issue isn't with prepping the camera, I'm all set after spending a couple hundred bucks on timecode and audio cables.

We all know the plethora of issues sound has with Reds, it's been discussed at great length here. We also know you love your camera, and that's great too.

Yes I love it and I made it happen to be able to shoot Epic like any other camera on docus for long takes.

I created the FanPlate to make this happen and even with a lot of infos here, there has been only a few interest.

So I must conclude that there is no much interest in the sound crew to find a solution and it's always easier to bash a camera and say "it's their fault", their being RED or the camera crew or who ever.

Now the good news is that there is great tools coming with the Weapon 6k (8k is a future upgrade wich is only for the one who want to shoot Anamorphic or Vista vision), and if the camera crew goes with the Offhollywood OMOD W module, you'll get an Ambient TC inside the module with 2 XLRS and the camera heat management has been way improoved. I would be glad to send here a noise comparison between Epic-Dragon and Weapon-Dragon the day I have one in hand...

Pat

The DP on my show has ordered one already.

New mag design, so he'll need to "exchange" those too.

He's so giddy about it. Perhaps how we are about the new offerings from our favorite manufacturers.

He did make a point to mention heat management and fan noise to me, so at least he's aware it's an issue.

We are shooting the whole film at 6k - currently we have over 150 hours of footage after 33 days of shooting. 8 days left. Can't imagine how much storage that requires!

6k is not the problem, the choosen compression rate is. You can easily shoot up to 8:1 compression without trouble. You'll start to see the difference in small details like noise when you shoot more than 1600 iso, or when you do Greenscreen stuff where you need the details to get a nice key, or in a big detail scenary (whide angle of a city).

In docu work I shoot up to 12:1 and don't see any compression artefact. You just loose on small details that you see in your 6k image blown up at 200%...

Please report back on your experience about the heat management and camera noise. I'm curious.

Are you going to shoot with Offhollywood's module OMOD W?

Pat

Pat,

He won't have his camera for this project, and he mostly works music videos.

He insists on running the Dragon on adaptive, which in the UK had cameras running between 24% and 32%. His camera had older fans, and was certainly noisier than the other cameras. Only once did I insist on adaptive quiet (bathroom with 2 cameras and whispering ladies), but he and DIT whined about it. He even switched his back over, and I had to insist he deal with the temp increase to get the dialog.

What is 24% and 32%? Fan speed? I usually run adaptive mode with the temp set to 70C°. The old front fan actually makes less noise than the new one on Epic. But he should either use the RED top fan or our FanPlate in addition to the bottom fan wich gets best noise/heat results. Bathroom and "wispering ladies" is tricky, further more if he is close to the actress. I understand your need for adaptive quiet record.

I use a front blimp to cut out the sound coming from that front fan. Good red did kill that fan in the Weapon body (and put 2 mic on this spot).

Epic_customized_zps7d16d079.jpg

Pat

Isn't the 4 pin Lemo "sync" jack on the Weapon the same sync jack that's on the "naked" Epic?   The one that shares TC in, Genlock in and remote start?  We already have those cables…   I assume the mini audio in will also be like the Epic--TRS balanced?  If that's all true then the camera is a whatever for me--no diff from the Epic unless RED scrambled the menus and changed what they call things in them.

philp