Water restrictions California

Prahlad Strickland

mirror mirror.... Always the misunderstood victim.

Throw out the racial slur and association of Tar-Baby, and having a discussion with the mirror man is much like that old story.

{The Tar-Baby is a fictional character in the second of the Uncle Remus stories published in 1881; it is a doll made of tar and turpentine used to entrap Br'er Rabbit. The more that Br'er Rabbit fights the Tar-Baby, the more entangled he becomes.

In modern usage, "tar baby" refers to any "sticky situation" that is only aggravated by additional involvement in it.}

Since you are a recovering alcoholic/addict, I would think you could see that you're getting high on stirring up the pot and trolling for reactions rather than engaging in conversations and or sharing experiences from your professional career in sound. Doesn't seem healthy to me mirror, but what do I know? I've been labeled a pot head thus rendering my POV moot.

Crew Chamberlain. Local 695.

A lot of defection rather than staying on point. Could it be that you have no fact in your argument thusly you find it hard to refute my statements? The tarbaby is your own doing, not mine. Try corralling your emotions and you'll have better results in debating me.

I believe it was you that labeled yourself a lover of the cronic when you started your "Reefer. Any Thoughts" thread. Again, I personal don't care.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deflection. That's a good one mirror. Thanks for proving my point.

As for "Reefer. Any Thoughts", I read and posted an article and asked a question that many discussed and had thoughts about and many POV's were expressed. That's certainly way more than you have ever done here. I have never said I was a "lover of the cronic". That's your interpretation. I love people, not intoxicants. Though arguing with you is like a bad trip in that it seems endless. Therefore I'm out of this topic. You can have the last word. Enjoy. Salud. Cheers.

CrewC

Mr. Mirror,  The fact that you can not use your real name to stand behind your online attacks tells me that you are a coward in life. There is your first fact, no emotion.

I'm sorry, please restrict your fact findings about what I did to deserve this aggression in this thread -About how I was the instigator. That was the root of your original comment.

Poor Mirror, you are simply just a poor, poor innocent bystander in this thread and have done nothing what so ever to bring this on yourself. After all, YOU are the real victim here and simply just misunderstood. If only you had the freedom to express who you really are in public, instead of being forced to hide behind a secret closeted online identity.  Wow, you are so very brave. 

what I did to deserve this aggression in this thread -About how I was the instigator. 

For a mirror you're surprisingly bad at reflecting. Very good at deflecting, though. Reflect for a bit about your own words. Maybe it's the language barrier or whatever, but please help me understand what is so bad about this statement:

"Are your jobs that brain-dead, that you have this much libidinal energy to sublimate ?"

So bad, I mean, that you felt the need to come back with such a terrible, despicable comment. 

For a mirror you're surprisingly bad at reflecting. Very good at deflecting, though. Reflect for a bit about your own words. Maybe it's the language barrier or whatever, but please help me understand what is so bad about this statement:

"Are your jobs that brain-dead, that you have this much libidinal energy to sublimate ?"

So bad, I mean, that you felt the need to come back with such a terrible, despicable comment. 

Honestly,  I don't feel what I said is terrible. It was not meant to be a compliment, that's for sure. I said he has lost the humility he gained at his fathers passing.  I DIDN'T say I'm glad  your dad died or your dad was a jerk or you deserved that horrible event in your life.  I commented on his present state.  Hey, I lost 2 parents in the last year, I'm no stranger to the situation.

If someone said that to me I wouldn't be offended.  It WOULD cause me to self-evaluate though.

YMMV

If someone said that to me I wouldn't be offended. It WOULD cause me to self-evaluate though.

Really? You don't seem like the self-evaluating type.

Anyway, my question was basically: what was so bad about atheisticmystic's comment that you felt the need to come back with such a terrible reply. I'm not interested in your evaluation of the magnitude of terrible you spouted, I'm interested in why you felt Steven's comment required such a strong personal attack at all.

Really? You don't seem like the self-evaluating type.

Anyway, my question was basically: what was so bad about atheisticmystic's comment that you felt the need to come back with such a terrible reply. I'm not interested in your evaluation of the magnitude of terrible you spouted, I'm interested in why you felt Steven's comment required such a strong personal attack at all.

I didn't feel it was a strong attack.

I didn't feel it was a strong attack.

But you were dismayed (surprised?) at all the responses to your post where you thought you were unfairly criticised.

Perhaps after a bit more self-evaluation you will come to see where you went wrong.

I remember from another exchange we had a while ago, you told me that really you were a nice person and I just needed to read your other posts.

I don't think you were right back then and I think, again, more of that self-evaluation is needed.

probabaly the best thing to do is to oppologise, and best not to speak about other peoples parents when it's involved in any form of conflict, it's just not respectful.

oppologies are best done without strings attached to, unconditional oppology, move on and learn from mistakes.

No thanks, the guy's a xxxx. If he continue to engages me like he has in the past, he'll continue to get both barrels. To be honest, he doesn't have the gray matter to keep up.

The amount of water reduction that has happened so far in California only amounts to 5% of the total water usage. I guess every little bit helps, but that doesn't make a dent in the bigger problem. Agriculture is the big user of water in the state. People's pools and lawns are not the issue here. Converting all the lawns to rocks, filling the pools with cement, and digging a hole in the ground for a toilet will not solve this problem at all. Agriculture uses 80% of the state's water, but is only 2% of the total economy. Agriculture is not  forced to ration any water, meanwhile Gerry Brown wants to fine someone who takes a shower longer than a few minutes. The question that needs to be asked is; Is this fair? 

meanwhile Gerry Brown wants to fine someone who takes a shower longer than a few minutes. The question that needs to be asked is; Is this fair?

A lot of people are asking this question and with good reason. So far, Jerry Brown has deflected probing inquiries with the observation that farms are businesses and that producing food is an important activity.

I have a slightly contrarian point of view - I think it's a savvy political move. I think mandatory conservation targets for cities represent his effort to prepare the political ground for water restrictions on farming. If he were to come out immediately with proposals to limit what could be farmed, he would immediately run into vigorous opposition from lobbying groups representing the farmers. And, any effort to limit the guarantees of water access provided in old water rights agreements would be a non-starter.

By first addressing water usage in cities, he can later tackle the agricultural issue having blunted the argument from farmers that the cities also waste water.

David

By first addressing water usage in cities, he can later tackle the agricultural issue having blunted the argument from farmers that the cities also waste water.

David

I think you are giving him too much credit. Brown has already said he isn't going to go after agriculture, and he ignores the numbers. 

When I lived in Santa Clarita, I was appalled by the amount of grass used as decoration in public and private buildings (not residences). I was also appalled by the fact that the grass was severely overwatered in these areas and in the numerous parks. The grass was muddy year round in most of the parks.

Poor water management is a huge issue.

Reducing beef consumption would go a long way. Perhaps the beef industry could follow the oil industry. Raise prices as demand is reduced. Maintain profits, and create a healthier population and environment.

Agriculture uses 80% of the state's water, but is only 2% of the total economy. Agriculture is not forced to ration any water, meanwhile Gerry Brown wants to fine someone who takes a shower longer than a few minutes. The question that needs to be asked is; Is this fair?

Seems like this will be a hot topic at the next election, if there's any water left to fight over.

I am sure there are better ways to manage water for agriculture. Maybe also being more selective about what is grown. Either things less water hungry, or things that really need the climate to grow.

I would think the concept of "we will fine you for taking a long shower, but big agriculture can do whatever they want" is a good way to get people out to vote. Lobbying is one thing, but millions of people facing long shower fines would probably wake people up.

When I lived in Santa Clarita, I was appalled by the amount of grass used as decoration in public and private buildings (not residences). I was also appalled by the fact that the grass was severely overwatered in these areas and in the numerous parks. The grass was muddy year round in most of the parks.

Poor water management is a huge issue.

Yep.   Broken sprinklers gushing water 15 feet in the air is also a common sight.   I'd pop a new top on them out of my own pocket if I wasn't afraid I'd get busted for trespassing or something.

Yep.   Broken sprinklers gushing water 15 feet in the air is also a common sight.   I'd pop a new top on them out of my own pocket if I wasn't afraid I'd get busted for trespassing or something.

Man...I can't tell you how many times I've seen busted sprinklers along the freeways in LA and thinking "I'm paying for that expensive water that is getting wasted right now, and then I'm going to be lectured on not flushing the toiled if it's 'yellow'". 

Meanwhile, here in middle Tennessee, my yard is still a bog because of the rain storm we got a few days ago. 

while seeing plentiful rain this month in GA, I do have to remember that we have almost no natural springs in this state, and no mountain snowpack... all our water is rainwater.  we are just lucky enough to *usually* have enough of it to avoid serious rationing.

I have not watered my yards in the entire 25 years I have owned houses.  I suspect there have been times the neighbors wished I would, but I have gone to all native plant groundcover.

And, yeah.. population growth anywhere on the planet can outstrip locally available water in a huge hurry.