Soundcraft Si Performer 1

Kriky

http://www.soundcraft.com/products/si-performer-1

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts as this for a cart mixer vs the yamaha.

It can be equiped with Dante and also has more outputs then the yamaha has to offer out of the box.

I'm still using my cooper and love the robust nature of it but was considering other options. Not that I'm in a rush with NAB coming up in he next few weeks.

Any thoughts on this mixer?

Kriky

I know that Richard Lightstone has one and has used it quite a bit, not as his main mixing panel (he uses the Yamaha) but in playback situations and in certain types of scenes where a secondary mixer has been needed. I don't know how much time Richard spends here on JWSOUND but he might chime in with his personal experiences.

I think you'd probably want the Expression rather than the Performer unless you actually want the DMX lighting control the Performer mixers have.

In any case, I ended up going with the Allen and Heath QU24 because of its intuitive system.

I tried the Expression 3 and found it was hard to get my head around but that's probably just me.

Any of these digital mixers in this price range won't sound half as good as your Cooper but are perfectly adequate for live gigs, playback, monitoring or everything coming in at line level. The mic pres are not great IMO and not good enough for film and tv dialogue. YMMV

Having said that, I LOVE my QU24 for what I use it for which is director/ producer monitoring and IFB plus other sends. Along with the ME1 personal mixer for AP's to eaves drop on reality contestants, it's ideal for what I need for a show I do every year.

The mic pres are not great IMO and not good enough for film and tv dialogue. YMMV

True, but my mic pres have been in my Zaxcom TX for a little while now. The quality of mic pres on the board has almost become irrelevant to the reality of our work. Not to say that there isn't a quality difference between different boards due to conversion, digital or analog processing, etc... but I don;t think mic pre quality is as important as it once was.

Yes. That's why I said if everything's coming in at line level, it's probably fine.

A hard wired mic in doesn't sound great for film and tv.

However, for a live band on stage with hard wired vocal mics where the channel noise is drowned out by instruments, it's perfectly adequate.

I've been thinking that a Solice Mini + analog inputs on the SD 970 for smaller gigs, then a Yamaha + Dante inputs on 970 for bigger gigs would be a great combo since you could have boards for each occasion have a recorder for all occasions.

Well, I wouldn't say you "have a recorder for all occasions" with the 970 because it isn't really appropriate for anything other than cart work. Using the Yamaha with Dante to the 970 for the bigger gigs certainly will work (quite a few people are doing this) but you have to want to use the Yamaha mixer (which for me is the deal breaker because I am not a fan of that mixer, the weight, the power reqirements, etc.). 

Personally what I would love to see is either a control mixer for the 688 with at least 12 faders.

Or a Dante enabled Zaxcom Deva 32 with a control mixer for it.

With Dante, as we all know, and it was posted in this thread, can make the quality of the pre amps on a Dante enabled mixing board pointless. There are plenty of Dante rack mountable pre amps. Focusrite RedNet being one of them. Could make remoting receivers much easier. Or a Dante enabled Lectrosonics Venue. Are they available? If not I would think that would be a future product lectro would be putting in place on there systems.

Anyway, NAB is around the corner. I'm hoping to see the release of some cool gear.

Kriky

Well, I wouldn't say you "have a recorder for all occasions" with the 970 because it isn't really appropriate for anything other than cart work. Using the Yamaha with Dante to the 970 for the bigger gigs certainly will work (quite a few people are doing this) but you have to want to use the Yamaha mixer (which for me is the deal breaker because I am not a fan of that mixer, the weight, the power reqirements, etc.). 

Oh yeah, definitely not bag stuff.  That's what I love my SD633 for  ::)

There are plenty of Dante rack mountable pre amps. Focusrite RedNet being one of them. Could make remoting receivers much easier. Or a Dante enabled Lectrosonics Venue. Are they available? If not I would think that would be a future product lectro would be putting in place on there systems.

Lectrto's DNT series might be what you're looking for.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/europe/16i/product.html

Lectrto's DNT series might be what you're looking for.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/europe/16i/product.html

I was thinking of a Venue with a Dante port. That would be a nice addition to the Venue. Though the DNT unit looks like a pretty nice piece of gear and could work for a Dante set-up I suppose. If I were to go that route I personally would go with a Rednet system due to the flexible nature of adjusting the preamps over the network at the cart.

Kriky