which shockmount for a boompole?

Dan Wake

can you give me and advice about which shockmount to buy please?

I need it for a boompole. and the mic is the rode ntg3 (almost heavy). I will walk in the field with this boompole I need it for cinema and field recording.

the shock mount that I wish are this for 70 euro

http://www.rycote.com/products/invision-softie-lyre-mount-with-pistol-grip/

and this for 65 euro

http://www.rycote.com/products/invision-inv-7hg-mkiii/

prices are so close and I cannot decide by myself. 

thx for your help. :)

seems pretty straight forward to me:

if you plan to use it on a boom then the one without pistol grip is lighter.

if you plan to use it without a boom, the pistol grip is useful ;)

i'd probably still get the inv7 and an add-on pistol grip though.

thanks chris, I already own a little (cheap) add-on """pistol grip""" to mount in the inv7 if needed (but I need a screw adapter from 3/8 to 1/4, it is really plastic and it's not this great grip but maybe it could work. it was in bundle with the zoom h4n:

33483153_2_440_DT4.jpg

I believe maybe a dedicated tool would be better.

I need a new shock mount primarily to mount it on my boompole. It must sustain the handle of the "walk" and even "my running".

my fear are those:

1) that the lyre system could non sustain the heavy of the mic and collapse this 2 parts making noise when I'm walking or running.

okok.jpg

2) my second fear is for the cable for the boompole. I wish to use my long cable and the pistol grip solution seems complicated, the second one seems more simple. I have fear that I can not controll well how to take the cable motionless. 

okok_2.jpg

3) my third fear is that the pistor grip in top of the boompole will appear less professional than the other solution.

thx again for yor help.

INV-7 for indoor use.

Windshield kit (with or without pistol grip) for outdoor use - I don't know the size fitting the NTG-3 best.

The INV-7 will not hold a mic with a Softie properly.

Invision HG will hold with a softie. Add on a pistol grip if needed. For booming, save the weight.

thaks for your help guys can you clarify this point please?

It doesn't matter, they are both virtually the same in terms of handling noise. One has the grip the other one doesn't. What's to recommend? You need to decide yourself if you need the grip or not. Rycote also sell another part so you can take the grip off and mount the suspension on your boom.

The NTG3 will work with this, no problem. The bigger problem will be your booming-while-running technique

It doesn't matter, they are both virtually the same in terms of handling noise. One has the grip the other one doesn't. What's to recommend? You need to decide yourself if you need the grip or not. Rycote also sell another part so you can take the grip off and mount the suspension on your boom.

The NTG3 will work with this, no problem. The bigger problem will be your booming-while-running technique

so I was thinking about another tech of shock mount that (I never tryed) could be maybe more secure instead the of the Lyre modular suspension tech. I mean something like this (SM8)

rode-sm8-shock-mount-for-long-shotgun-mi

ntg8_1.jpg

it support the long shotgun mic NTG8, so maybe I can run with it if I mount something smaller. I have not proof unfortunately. 

my fear with Lyre system is that the base can touch the lyre system if I start to walk fast (even run). 

(sorry if I repeat the image but my english teminology is not so much polished to explain myself as I wish sometimes)

okok.jpg

anyone of you have ever tryed the SM8 with something like a Rode NTG3 as weight and lenght please? could it be even a solution for me now? 

thx

my fear with Lyre system is that the base can touch the lyre system if I start to walk fast (even run). 

(sorry if I repeat the image but my english teminology is not so much polished to explain myself as I wish sometimes)

I just ran around my house with the Invision, a 416 and a softie and didn't hear any noise from the suspension. Only footsteps and breath.

The proper Invision for the proper mic setup will not bang on itself. The Rode mount that you linked to is for a long shotgun with significantly more weight. It is the weight that will allow those suspensions to flex. Too light of a mic and they do not work as intended.

Think about suspensions of a car. Too light of a suspension on a heavy car feels sloppy and makes the car roll. This would be the Invision 7 with a softie. Too heavy a suspension for a light car makes it the ride hard and does not absorb shock well. This would be the Rode long gun suspension for the NTG-3.

In my opinion, get the Invision HG and call it a day. It works with most mics in most situations with softies.

I use a InVision INV 7HG MKIII with a Sanken CS3e & softie on a boom for run&gun doc-reality. Works great. That mount is made for short shotguns. It'll hold the NTG3 just fine. The question is just if you want the handle. Not sure if they make a version with a handle.

The regular INV 7 is what I use for my 8040.

Just go with the K-Tek Nautilus or KPGS suspensions. They don't have bottoming out issues. When I've done serious run and gun sound effects recording I would always use the GPS. It was the only mount that didn't give me problems. The Nautilus wasn't out at that time. The Nautilus is designed to not bottom out because we had heard people complain on other mounts that that was an issue. 

http://ktekpro.com/products/audio/microphone-shock-mounts/