Rechargeable Batteries for TX

Scott Selman

why? specifics please.

I'm still using powerex but I'm starting to get tired of their performance. Plus, I probably should have labeled my batteries with the date I put them in service because now I can't tell which one's are the older batteries. How much longer use are you getting out of the Pan. Pro's?

Anyone figure out how to label them so it won't run off? Lately I've been experimenting with different batteries, so I know "ok, the older style PowerEx are all pretty old, I bought this brand 2 years ago..."

I've debated trying different colored dots of nail polish to mean a specific year, or something like "orange dot is first half of 2015" maybe.

Didn't use to label my Powerex batts and they've long been gone so I couldn't tell about the size (if it's going to fit in specific devices)

But I'm using Ansmann maxE and label them with a PTouch. I can tell they fit my 633 MixPreD and 302; SMseries txs, ERX1TCD, G2s, etc.

Prior to that, for the first two batches, I used black sharpie around the positive post, then red for the second batch I bought at the time. At third batch I decided to give PTouch a try and it worked so I keep using it.

Still got a few batts from the first two batches. The ones from 2012 still hold charge quite well (around 2100-2250mAH for 2500mAH batts; brand new they often give 2350-2400 readings). I guess the performance of the Panasonic will be quite the same. Same kind of ''keep the charge'' batts and very nice to work with on out-of-town two or three day shoots; I now charge all of them and just bring a 4-batt charger in case, but my supply is more than enough, usually, to cover for the shoot without having to recharge every night.

KENTLY 1.5V

rechargeable Li-ion battery, anyone tryed testing using these new AA & AAA ?

http://www.unbatteries.com/

up? or other AA li-ion batt experiences ?

for me no more disposable batteries since many years, the most expensive energy source and terribly polluting

something like Nespresso Caps...

+1 for iPowerUS 9v and eneloop AA.

Definitely going to keep an eye on them. I haven't seen anyone post about using a 1.5v rechargeable lithium-something AA battery.

I looked at the Kentli website and discovered their rating for 1.5 volt is in milliwatt hours. On looking at their Q & A, they state that a milliwatt hour equals milliamps hours times voltage. I deduce that a 2800mWh battery (2800 divided by 1.5) actually has a capacity we are used to reading of 1867 mAh. not too impressive yet, but maybe manufacturing techniques will improve over time...

Regards,

Jim Rillie

thanks new mexico.

Just had a quick peek at the article, went straight to operation time in an SMV and got my answer.

Same time as NiMH.

More expensive, have to order from China, number of charge cycles not tested yet in ''real world''... thank you very much' I'll pass on this one.  :)

When an AA battery gives me 6 hours of runtime in my SMVs, I'll consider swapping my stock...

I have some Maha Powerex 2700mah that are a couple of years. I measured them the other day to 2200mah. When is it wise to change them out for new ones? The Imedions that I bought at the same time where 2400mah and are 2200mah as well. I still easily get 5-6h with them but will they drop faster now that they are a few years?

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

I have some Maha Powerex 2700mah that are a couple of years. I measured them the other day to 2200mah. When is it wise to change them out for new ones? The Imedions that I bought at the same time where 2400mah and are 2200mah as well. I still easily get 5-6h with them but will they drop faster now that they are a few years?

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

They are normally good for about 400-500 charges before the start to deteriorate, when they get to that stage I peel the wrapper of the battery so I know they are past their best and use them for iems ect.

They are normally good for about 400-500 charges before the start to deteriorate, when they get to that stage I peel the wrapper of the battery so I know they are past their best and use them for iems ect.

Peeling the wrapper is not a good idea. That's a real quick way to short stuff out inside your expensive gear and don't even think of putting one in your pocket with your keys or another battery. You could burn your man parts! The wrapper is the only thing insulating the ground from the positive voltage if something was to touch across that millimeter gap between the two. Use a sharpie.

Peeling the wrapper is not a good idea. That's a real quick way to short stuff out inside your expensive gear and don't even think of putting one in your pocket with your keys or another battery. You could burn your man parts! The wrapper is the only thing insulating the ground from the positive voltage if something was to touch across that millimeter gap between the two. Use a sharpie.

Todd beat me to it. You're fine in devices with a plastic battery tube, but put them in your pocket and short them accidentally, or put them in something with a metal battery tube, like a Lectro TX or an SD mixer, and you'll be having fun sooner than you thought. 

Anyone figure out how to label them so it won't run off? Lately I've been experimenting with different batteries, so I know "ok, the older style PowerEx are all pretty old, I bought this brand 2 years ago..."

I've debated trying different colored dots of nail polish to mean a specific year, or something like "orange dot is first half of 2015" maybe.

Dont know if this helps - my method for years has been chronological numbering on the bottom of all aa's with a sharpie. As i buy new ones and add to current stash the numbers continue. Helps me keep track for rotating batteries and also which ones are losing charge capacity over time. Occasionally re-write but the numbers stay visable for quite a long time. Dont know if this is bad for contacts but havent experienced any issues over the years of working this way. So i know when i pull batts 11/12 our of a transmitter it helps in knowing those are the dead ones and they go into the top load battery holders upside down which also indicates those need charged.

-Ken