Rechargeable Batteries for TX

Scott Selman

• 7 months later...

I thought it was time for a review of my KentLi Li-Polymer batteries after three years of use. The average usage has been twice a week for three years or around 300 times each. Of the 48 batteries I have, the first two have failed, one cell failure and one regulater failure. The remaining batteries seem to still be in good condition. I like the KentLi batteries because I can measure both the voltage of the cell and the regulated 1.5 volts. They have three accessible terminals, one negative and two positive.

I haven't experienced the high-pitched sound mentioned  elsewhere and overall I'm happy with these batteries. On the other hand, I would guess that NiMh Eneloop Pro's would perform equally well.

5 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

Ikea Ladda does not hold up against Eneloop Pro and Powerex

Every ikea Ladda I had was discarded by my maha charger a lot quicker then ENELOOP Pro.

But You get what you pay for.

Not my experience. Eneloop Pro and Ladda compare very favourably, and the Ladda covering doesn't seem to crack as much at the edges as the Eneloop Pro. I also always use slow charge on all rechargeables.

Edited by Jim Rillie
added thought

54 minutes ago, Jim Rillie said:

[snip}  I also always use slow charge on all rechargeables.

Hi Jim,

Good suggestion. Fast charge (1 hour or less) is particularly hard on high capacity NiMh batteries. Eveready used to have a 15 minute charger. It not only destroyed 2700 mAh PowerEx batteries in just a few recharges, it wore out the Eveready batteries in about 10 recharges. The self discharge rate increased to half discharge in a just a few days.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

2 hours ago, Jim Rillie said:

Not my experience. Eneloop Pro and Ladda compare very favourably, and the Ladda covering doesn't seem to crack as much at the edges as the Eneloop Pro. I also always use slow charge on all rechargeables.

+1

I have been quite happy with the AA Ladda 2450 for more than a year now, and while I can't claim to have done any structured testing, I haven't noticed any variance.

6 hours ago, Jim Rillie said:

My experience with the casing is the opposite. Ikea ladda break easier in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Rick Reineke said:

I have some of the Ladda 2450 AA batts, and have not 'noticed' a difference with my Enloop Pros. I do have a fast charger. As I understand, fast charging reduces the number of charge/discharge cycles.

There has to be a big difference in quality. As soon as my maha smart charger tells me to discard a battery I try to do factory restore and if that does not work I toss it. Ikea ladda and amazon rechargbles last a lot less then eneloop. If I need batteries for slates, erx and house appliances I use the regular eneloop which last forever and are cheaper then pro.  And the price difference does not make me use inferior battery.  

• 2 weeks later...