Lectro SSM

Not that much difference in range between 50mW and 100mW for a same tx model... In fact, if I could have one more full hour of batt operation at 50mW, I'd be constantly using my txs at that setting.

Now, if only that tiny battery gave me 5 hours of runtime...[emoji297]️[emoji297]️[emoji58][emoji297]️[emoji297]️

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will buy at least two.  BONUS - wide band capability and LEMO-3 (as a Zaxcom user, this makes me very happy).  Now if they could only make the WM with a waterproof Lemo-3, would be the perfect wireless eco-system.  WM for ultra long range high power RF, or low power all day capability.  SSM for inter-bag capability for reality and when small size needed.  Zaxcom for everything else.  If Lectro could offer frequency and gain settings remotely (not dweedle) and offered a multichannel / multi-block receiver with AES output that retained compatibility with Lectro Digital Hybrid, that would be enough for me to consider a more heavily Lectro system based.  

+1 

digital modulation and recording on TX as well...

I will buy at least two.  BONUS - wide band capability and LEMO-3 (as a Zaxcom user, this makes me very happy).  Now if they could only make the WM with a waterproof Lemo-3, would be the perfect wireless eco-system.  WM for ultra long range high power RF, or low power all day capability.  SSM for inter-bag capability for reality and when small size needed.  Zaxcom for everything else.  If Lectro could offer frequency and gain settings remotely (not dweedle) and offered a multichannel / multi-block receiver with AES output that retained compatibility with Lectro Digital Hybrid, that would be enough for me to consider a more heavily Lectro system based.  

+1 

digital modulation and recording on TX as well...

remote recording is awesome when you need it, but I need it so very infrequently (like the occasional underwater scene).  I'd be happy to keep a couple of Zax around for this but mostly need remote control and the extra fidelity of Zaxcom is a nice to have feature.  The next step in recoding body packs is for the receiver to flag an RF hit, send this metadata to the recorder, and then the recorder automatically collect the missing bits over the 2.4GHz network when the transmitter comes back in range.  The whole go collect micro SD cards, do a separate transfer, and make notes to post doesn't work for me.  When I wrap, I wrap, and just want to be able to turn over a CF card minutes after it is called.

remote recording is awesome when you need it, but I need it so very infrequently (like the occasional underwater scene). I'd be happy to keep a couple of Zax around for this but mostly need remote control and the extra fidelity of Zaxcom is a nice to have feature. The next step in recoding body packs is for the receiver to flag an RF hit, send this metadata to the recorder, and then the recorder automatically collect the missing bits over the 2.4GHz network when the transmitter comes back in range. The whole go collect micro SD cards, do a separate transfer, and make notes to post doesn't work for me. When I wrap, I wrap, and just want to be able to turn over a CF card minutes after it is called.

The way my workflow is setup on the show I use post faders in the recorder so the txs are my pre fades. Can not live without it...

The Lemo is small, rugged, water resistant, small, available from the usual dealers, small, widely used and further, it's small.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Hey Larry,

I heard that the Lemo connector is small. Can you confirm this?

Oh great, so the new Lectro makes things easier for Zax users and harder for Lectro users.  Ironic.  I'd recommend Lectro look into a hardware, one piece TA5F adapter in addition to the cable job shown above.   And I'd also recommend coming up with an alternate way to power the TX for when none of those special battery packs are available.

philp

For me, on narrative tv, 6 hour run time is required. That's the time till lunch. As is 100 mw. I work with skimpy wardrobe all the time and if I can't hide an sm somewhere, I ain't hiding this. Definitely a specialty item, Just not sure who this product is for.

The concept of a rechargeable battery is amazing, it's sickening the buckets of lithium AAs we churn out on these shows with 8 - 12 wires a day.

One more little item. Cos-11's are wired with the source resistor internal to the SSM. You just wire the three wires to the three Lemo pins and select Cos in the mic menu. If the Cos-11 is wired with a grounded source, it should be rewired for the lower distortion 3 wire setup. The 2 wire setup will work but why design in 2% distortion. Statement, not question.

Best Regards

Larry F

Lectro

Blind stab in the dark, but 100mW may be a combination battery life and heat issue. I've noticed the SMv & SMQv run cooler at 50mW than 100mW. This being even smaller may heat up even more.

In many cases my SM series transmitters have plenty of range with 50mW, especially when using shark fins. If you're in a theater situation, it's sometimes required to be no more than 50mW.

I guess the whole point here is that this unit is designed to be used for theatre productions like Broadway. 50mW is the agreed upon standard out there because they dont want interference from next door productions. Small enough to be concealed easily in clothing. Battery power enough for one play or easy enough to change during performances when actor exits stage temporarily. Overall size defines battery size and connector choice. 

Once again, like the Venue - if we want to use it in OUR productions, it may require a certain level of adaptation on our parts. 

-vin

Given Theatrical use has been floated quite a bit, as someone who's main business is Theatre sound, I'd have to say that the battery life will be a problem in many cases. Standard call to battery up and check mics is often 2 hours before the show, many shows are 3 hours including interval - so we tend to look for 5 hours conservative run time for a battery load. Especially where the TX is dressed under a wig in a stocking cap (as shown in some of Lectro's publicity), as getting at them mid show is a major imposition on other departments. Sennheiser 5212s can do this easily on a single iPower AA rechargeable or a decent Alkaline. 'Dweedling' the TX's on and off to save power is not something likely to be embraced by the average backstage radio crew of two, looking after maybe 40 performers, who might make stage entries from various doors. Are there premium versions of this battery form factor available with a little more grunt in them? if so, the SSM would be very interesting for that market. I'd still be a little concerned about the on-going availability of such batteries (as someone who's recently had a hassle finding a similar battery for a so-year-old digital camera).