Chargers for aa's

osa

I've been using multipe standard 4 bank chargers for years - energizer, duracell, etc. but I often see discussions from others here mentioning various results of measuring charges of aa's with fancier sounding chargers that also charge more than 4 batts at a time. Can anyone recommend?

-Ken

I've been using a Tensai for over a year with Eneloops and it works well for me.
Have to cover the extremely bright blue display at night and it's not very fast, but that's probably better for the batteries in the long term, always does the job overnight.

It doesn't sound like it, but Tensai are German I believe - Berlin.
eg.

http://www.tensai.com/index.php/products/chargers/ni-mh-chargers/ti-1600l

Discharge and Reconditioning - is this also a standard practice for a lot of you every few weeks/months? This is new to me. Even though i seemed to Get decent amount of life out of rech batteries previously they might have lasted longer overall had i used chargers like these vs thehighspeed 4 bank chargers. I like the concept of multi channels that monitor ea battery individually. The 4 banks i have been using only are 2 channel and work only when min 2 batts inserted in tandem which is a waste if only one of the two were actually used

-Ken

Maha Energy has a very good full featured charger: MH-C9000.

mhc9000__76415.1405430329.1280.1280.jpg?

"Break-In mode, otherwise known as IEC capacity measurement and "Battery Forming," charges and discharges the batteries at a fraction of their full capacities. It charges them at 0.1C for 16 hr, rests for an hour, discharges them at 0.2C, and then recharges them once more at 0.1C for 16 hr, where C is the battery capacity. It is best used for new batteries or those stored for longer than 3 months, and chemically reactivates the battery after the deactivation that occurs with long-term storage."

The reason I am doing a breakIn is because sometimes I end up not using certain batteries in months.

Thanks Rado. As I use the c800 I had forgotten about this function on c900. I have been meaning to add a c900 to my kit for a couple of years now but for some reason never gotten around to it.

A very useful tool for the break in and judging how useful/old the batteries are. After a refresh I can see how much charge the batteries hold.

If the batteries are at the end of their life the charger will display "HIGH".

At this point I just discard them.

I use the Powerex MH-C9000 as well... just bought a bunch of Eneloop (Panasonic BK-3HCCA4BA's) - will compare to Powerex and report at some point. I love this charger though... having the ability to select lower charging rates has significantly prolonged the life of my Powerex AA's. I use them in my slates and syncboxes. Getting the Panasonics to try out in my SMQV's... report to follow.

~tt

• 2 months later...

bought the titanium md 1600 as well as a maha c900 to try them both. planning to use the maha to rotate break-in's every 5 or 6 months. they both seem like great chargers after using them for a while. clearly the maha 4 banks is way more action packed at basically the same price of the titanium 16 bank. but both by far i feel are wise investments over standard 4 bank consumer chargers. thanks everyone for all the great info. with black eneloops and good transmitter power management, i have reached a point of almost never changing talent aa's on longer work days which is a place i never thought to be with rechargeables.

-Ken

• 5 years later...

Seeking expieriences with ISDT N8 N16 N24 chargers.

(A rather high priced chinese brand targeting the RC toys scene.)

https://www.isdt.co/n8-n16-n24.html?lang=en

I've been using Maha MH C-9000 and MH C800S so far.

The C9000 is good for checking suspects but huge in my charging case for just 4 bays. The C800S charges, but nothing more and readability of the display is poor in less than perfect light conditions.

The N24 is really long, but will just fit my Tanos Midi, a good deal per battery, but really annoying travel dimensions.

The N8 is really compact, but a QC3 or PD connection is required for full performance. I could not find a USB power supply (EU or Schuko plug) with more than 3 QC3/PD sources, so the PSUs spoil compactness.

I might invest in 2 N16, though I'd actually prefer to find a USB PSU that serves a bunch of devices and go for some N8s.

A little update:

I bought the N24. A good decision over multiple N8.

The MicroUSB port seems unreliable for production situations and the N8 only has USB.

The 12V power connector on the N24 (and N16) sits strudy, but does not lock.

The unit allows for discovery of fainting batteries however this is not as comfortable/ergonomic as one may wish. You need to manually zap through the interfaces screens for each bay to do so. As the screens need a second or two, you need about a minute for a check after There are a few minor flaws in the interface/menu I can live with. Overall the unit appears solid and so far, I did not regret buying.

Here is a thorough review for the N8:

https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger ISDT N8 UK.html