Audio timecode track sent wirelessly from 664

mross

I have dozens of "mix" tapes at home, cassettes I suppose. Pretty cheap ones. Most of them are very good at printing through, so in between songs I could (can) hear what's on the reverse side of the cassette - in reverse. At first I thought I was going crazy, then I learned what it was.

I used to have a really cheap tiny Monacor mixer (gone unfortunately) which was very good at cross-talk between two adjacent channels. No TC was involved, but it's well possible some gain stages weren't set correctly. I was very young then...

I have dozens of "mix" tapes at home, cassettes I suppose. Pretty cheap ones. Most of them are very good at printing through, so in between songs I could (can) hear what's on the reverse side of the cassette - in reverse. At first I thought I was going crazy, then I learned what it was.

I have just been alerted by the Senator that in this example I mixed up print-through with head alignment. Nonetheless cheap tapes are quite capable at printing through, you just need to wait long enough

Print-through occurs when the magnetic lines of flux from one layer of tape is strong enough to slightly magnetize a layer of tape next to it -- more than one layer in an extreme case. As the affected section of tape plays, you hear a faint pre-, or post-echo of the sound from the other layer.

In this discussion we've actually talked about situations that are examples of:

Crosstalk

Fringe Effect

Print-through

Channel Bleed

...some of which can be kind of the same thing (e.g. Crosstalk & Channel Bleed).

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you've already started shooting by now. I always tell production to use proper TC. Why? Because it's my reputation / (a**) on the line when the editors starts whining about the sound being out of sync. BTW, why is never the picture out of sync with the sound? 👺 The money they spend on the XDCA-FS7 module will be recuperated when post spend less time chasing sync. And they also get V-mount, Hirose output etc which are nice features to have. I use a Time Code Buddy system and it's really good. It enables me to use it as a normal time code reference or as a wireless RecRun/TC AutoRec with my SD664. For two camera and when the second camera is a DSLR, I send a mono audio mix which serves as cue monitoring and sync reference in post. But I would never rely on an audio sync track on the main camera. Time Code is not something to save money on, period. Cheers Fred Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk