New Zaxcom Products

Jack Norflus

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given last week announcement, what brought my attention was "cute, tiny size" or something like that. Well, I'm gonna keep my "big, bulky" QRX for a lil while more :D (yeah I know, batts inside the unit, TC, Wideband) ; good to start with as cam hop as a first-buy, but to get something smaller than a QRX for small cams the difference isn't that much of an update to me if we simply talk in terms of size. Something the size of a ZFR100 would have been right-on for my basic needs.

No playback for the nomad files from the touch GUI?? ??? .. the playback from nomad is still a real pain if you need to monitor an iso track , i was really hoping nomad touch would slove that...that and the very odd Windows choice i got to say i 'm not really exited by Nomad touch for now.

As just a hop, it does look to be bigger (especially wider) than say, an SRB. But once you put a batt sled on an srb, or even the new SR battery pack sleeve, I bet they take up the same amount of space. The real plus here, over other cam hop options, is the built in timecode. If you need to run continuos timecode + 2 two channel primary audio to a cam, there isn't a smaller combo out there that I know of. In addition, being able to re purpose in your bag as an additional rx channel on any block makes it well worth $1500-$1700 imo.

Given last week announcement, what brought my attention was "cute, tiny size" or something like that. Well, I'm gonna keep my "big, bulky" QRX for a lil while more :D (yeah I know, batts inside the unit, TC, Wideband) ; good to start with as cam hop as a first-buy, but to get something smaller than a QRX for small cams the difference isn't that much of an update to me if we simply talk in terms of size. Something the size of a ZFR100 would have been right-on for my basic needs.

I must admit I read the post about it being pretty small and imagined Zaxcom had come up with a dinky, paired down RX (perhaps single block only) with a rechargeable battery around the 'slightly-bigger-than-an-ERX' size. Expectations are dangerous things...

As just a hop, it does look to be bigger (especially wider) than say, an SRB. But once you put a batt sled on an srb, or even the new SR battery pack sleeve, I bet they take up the same amount of space. The real plus here, over other cam hop options, is the built in timecode. If you need to run continuos timecode + 2 two channel primary audio to a cam, there isn't a smaller combo out there that I know of. In addition, being able to re purpose in your bag as an additional rx channel on any block makes it well worth $1500-$1700 imo.

The built in TC is of course brilliant. A mounting solution might make it big though. And knowing the UK/US exchange rate as well as I do I suspect that along with a CL I'd probably get more for my cash buying another SRB with TX. Two channels of talent mics for starters. It's a step in the right direction though. If only they could make them smaller...

''I must admit I read the post about it being pretty small and imagined Zaxcom had come up with a dinky, paired down RX (perhaps single block only) with a rechargeable battery around the 'slightly-bigger-than-an-ERX' size. Expectations are dangerous things...''

Exactly that James... my bad, and no big deal in the end...''NAB fever'' ...

I didn't take one compared to a QRX, somebody asked for a pic to compare it to a CameraLink

post-876-14291098394114.jpg

Sorry I'm not sure I understand the question.

When I'm shooting with DSLRs or other prosumer-grade cameras I usually just use an ERX and sent TC out on one channel and scratch out on the other. I'd really rather have a more purpose built hop, like the RX200, but my concern is that I'd need to build complicated new cables to supply TC from the BNC and audio from the TA3. If the RX200 could send audible TC over, what I'm assuming is, the stereo TA3 output that'd help keep cable clutter down.

When I'm shooting with DSLRs or other prosumer-grade cameras I usually just use an ERX and sent TC out on one channel and scratch out on the other. I'd really rather have a more purpose built hop, like the RX200, but my concern is that I'd need to build complicated new cables to supply TC from the BNC and audio from the TA3. If the RX200 could send audible TC over, what I'm assuming is, the stereo TA3 output that'd help keep cable clutter down.

Its a TA5 stereo output on the RX200...and I understand exactly what your saying. Honestly your probably better off with the ERX. The RX200 is bigger and heavier. Not really intended for the DSLR world unless you're really committed to using it that way.

I mean, I already have a ton of ERXs for this kind of setup but I'm not a fan of using those with the FS100 & 700, the C100 Mk1 & 2, the BMD cameras that aren't the Ursa or Ursa Mini, etc. The 1/8" connector has failed me way too often and I'd love to start relying on something like this instead.